Palmer sounds like he's had enough.

Santandah

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, atomic said:

Buck is an idiot.   The eye color thing is another form of racism.  I am sure there have been hall of fame players with green and blue eyes.   Hampton probably did worse in day games than night games because he stays out late partying.  

There are a few too many types of players the O's don't go after.  I won't call it racism, but I will call it short-sighted (no pun intended with the blue eyes discrimination).  Seems to me that beards never lessened a player's production.  A few players I've admired watching this season would have never been considered by the O's - Ronald Acuna, Ozzie Albies, Bryce Harper, etc, etc.      

4 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

There are a few too many types of players the O's don't go after.  I won't call it racism, but I will call it short-sighted (no pun intended with the blue eyes discrimination).  Seems to me that beards never lessened a player's production.  A few players I've admired watching this season would have never been considered by the O's - Ronald Acuna, Ozzie Albies, Bryce Harper, etc, etc.      

I'm guessing the beard thing is about a lack of projectability?

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm guessing the beard thing is about a lack of projectability?

Here's the explanation for the beard thing, from a 2010 article by Kurkjian, along with a couple of other pearls of wisom from Buck:

My favorite segment on "Baseball Tonight" the past few years was the one in which Showalter told us what scouts look for in a player. "They're looking for high-butt guys," he said. "You don't want a low-butt guy." And, "You don't want a 10-to-2 guy," he said, referring to a player whose feet point outward, like the hands on a clock at 10 minutes to 2. "You want a guy whose feet point in, not out." And, he said, "Never draft an 18-year-old with a full beard. It means he is fully developed, and won't grow any more. I remember when we drafted Derek Jeter, he didn't even have to shave. I thought, 'We've got something here.'"

http://www.espn.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=kurkjian_tim&id=5422772

And as a bonus, the late, great Gram Parsons' take on blue eyes, in Blue Eyes. (He's in favor.)

8 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Here's the explanation for the beard thing, from a 2010 article by Kurkjian, along with a couple of other pearls of wisom from Buck:

My favorite segment on "Baseball Tonight" the past few years was the one in which Showalter told us what scouts look for in a player. "They're looking for high-butt guys," he said. "You don't want a low-butt guy." And, "You don't want a 10-to-2 guy," he said, referring to a player whose feet point outward, like the hands on a clock at 10 minutes to 2. "You want a guy whose feet point in, not out." And, he said, "Never draft an 18-year-old with a full beard. It means he is fully developed, and won't grow any more. I remember when we drafted Derek Jeter, he didn't even have to shave. I thought, 'We've got something here.'"

http://www.espn.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=kurkjian_tim&id=5422772

And as a bonus, the late, great Gram Parsons' take on blue eyes, in Blue Eyes. (He's in favor.)

Cool, I was right.  Being right is one of my favorite things.

?

If Buck ever gets together with Max Scherzer for dinner to evaluate him as a free agent, like he did that time with Colby Rasmus, Scherzer will have to continually sit so that Buck can only see the left side of his face.

On 5/5/2018 at 2:02 AM, Santandah said:

At this point, listening to Jim Palmer call games is pretty much the only reason I'm tuning in to watch this train wreck. His cache of insight into baseball and his team is truly the organization's gem.

He doesn't hold punches, calls em like he sees em, and talks with constructive criticism. But it sounds like he's had enough of this team. He really got on Manny for making a bad throw to Peterson, and then in the top of the 9th, he went off when Chance Sisco swung at a 3-1 pitch. 

As Sisco steps to the plate, Palmer says, "You've got to imagine he's taking here. You're down by two runs. Make him throw a strike."

Sisco swings. Grounds out weakly. As the ball leaves the bat, Palmer lost it. 

"He's swinging. Unbelievable." But then he directs the frustration at Buck. "It's not Chance Sisco. You've got to give him the take there. You've got to force a guy who's all over the strike zone or the ball zone or whatever you want to call it to throw a strike. And you swing at it. It's nonsense."

Can't remember Palmer sounding this frustrated in a long time. 

He said a few starts in with Jimenez that he needed to learn how to work a game.  Later, after a few more starts he said he didn't know how to work a batter and that his "unique" delivery would never allow long range and likely not short range success either.

He is trustworthy and accurate in his criticism and praise.  Has he stated yet that Manny should not have been moved to SS?  I'm just curious on that...

On 5/6/2018 at 4:23 PM, spiritof66 said:

Some of that is in the source I cited in the previous post, which includes this:

Kurkjian added that former "Baseball Tonight" colleague (and current Orioles manager) Buck Showalter subscribed to Hamilton's theory. He said he has two rules when it comes to evaluating young players: never draft an 18-year-old with a full beard and never draft anyone with blue eyes because they "can't see as well."

Here's another citation: 

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/17/sports/baseball/light-eyed-players-deal-with-glare-and-doubts.html

I would include Buck's inflexibility in assigning roles to his relievers, the way he uses platooning, his tendency to rely on match-ups even when the quantity of the data is very small, and his use of players based on his perceptions of their no-longer-applicable skills. I can't recall hearing or reading about Buck explaining or defending a decision in a way that led me to think, "Yeah, that makes sense. I never thought of that." Or "That's the first time I've heard of those facts, or those data, or that way of looking at things."

Do you regard Buck as a guy who as GM would be open to considering novel ideas, information, inputs and perspectives in evaluating players, making drafting and trading decisions, and thinking about how to assemble a successful team? Maybe you do; my best guess is that he wouldn't operate that way. Or maybe you don't regard that as an important quality in a GM. I do.

Maybe his point of view has "evolved" over the years. I think that's what the politicians call it.

On 5/6/2018 at 6:14 PM, Can_of_corn said:

It's simple.

Peter isn't letting Dan go to a competitor without compensation because he's under contract.

Peter isn't going to trust Dan because he tried to go to a competitor.

You just need to be in the right frame of mind and it makes sense.

On 5/6/2018 at 6:34 PM, Barnaby Graves said:

That makes sense but operationally it's just ridiculous.

This is why anyone worth anything thinks twice about signing to work with this club.  They should have dealt DD or released him, not make him suffer in limbo for 3 more years while empowering a charlatan.  I think the Karma we are experiencing now is the result of this kind of vindictive, mean short-sightedness.  It's not the first time with these clowns.

On 5/6/2018 at 4:23 PM, spiritof66 said:

Some of that is in the source I cited in the previous post, which includes this:

Kurkjian added that former "Baseball Tonight" colleague (and current Orioles manager) Buck Showalter subscribed to Hamilton's theory. He said he has two rules when it comes to evaluating young players: never draft an 18-year-old with a full beard and never draft anyone with blue eyes because they "can't see as well."

Here's another citation: 

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/17/sports/baseball/light-eyed-players-deal-with-glare-and-doubts.html

I would include Buck's inflexibility in assigning roles to his relievers, the way he uses platooning, his tendency to rely on match-ups even when the quantity of the data is very small, and his use of players based on his perceptions of their no-longer-applicable skills. I can't recall hearing or reading about Buck explaining or defending a decision in a way that led me to think, "Yeah, that makes sense. I never thought of that." Or "That's the first time I've heard of those facts, or those data, or that way of looking at things."

Do you regard Buck as a guy who as GM would be open to considering novel ideas, information, inputs and perspectives in evaluating players, making drafting and trading decisions, and thinking about how to assemble a successful team? Maybe you do; my best guess is that he wouldn't operate that way. Or maybe you don't regard that as an important quality in a GM. I do.

His girlfriend is a 6 at best

Archived