TT: Orioles Games of Thrones and the Way Forward

Tony-OH

Thank you for that informative article.  It was a great read.  And now I'm even more scared for the future of this team because I'm getting a strong Brady Anderson will be in control vibe.  Which makes no sense to me.  The guy was essentially a strength and conditioning guy for players in the offseason, and now he's going to replace Duquette?

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

As I’ve said before, it seems the team was operating as though it was on a tight budget constraint in the 2014-15 offseason, and then in  the 2015-16 they spent like drunken sailors.    Part of that could be Duquette vs. Brady/Buck, or it could be that Angelos saw his window of contention slipping away after the .500 season in 2015 and concluded it would close unless he spent more money to try to keep it open.   

I don't buy that argument, honestly. I think it's more likely that in the 2014-2015 offseason, Duquette spent most of his time entertaining the Blue Jays scenario, punted the offseason...and then scrambled in late January/February to try and shore up the holes of the club. After all, the club was offering multi-year deals to both Cruz and Markakis.

Just now, LookitsPuck said:

I just assume you're opposed to every contract that is over 1 year and the player is over 30 years old.

Pretty much.  I just wanted to use the hand raised emoticon. 

I wold have been less opposed to a Miller extension, he's just filthy in a way O'Day isn't.

2 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

I don't buy that argument, honestly. I think it's more likely that in the 2014-2015 offseason, Duquette spent most of his time entertaining the Blue Jays scenario, punted the offseason...and then scrambled in late January/February to try and shore up the holes of the club. After all, the club was offering multi-year deals to both Cruz and Markakis.

Did he punt it or was he prohibited from making moves of consequence while the process was ongoing?

2 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Thanks Tony

What I get from this is that Brady/Buck are the driving force behind what I call the lifetime achievement contracts, which I define as extension to good guys, good players, ignoring red flags such as recent performance declines or their age at the time of extension.

I'd love to hear your opinion on who was the architect of the Hardy extension as I consider this the first major step back to a losing team

For DD sake I hope that he was against:

1. Hardy extension 2. O'day extension 3. Davis extension 4. Trumbo extension

We'll know that Brady/Buck are in complete control and completely incompetent when they extend Jones

The Hardy extension worked out well as the team played great with him at short stop.  He had some injuries but it wasn't like we were paying him top dollar.

1 hour ago, LookitsPuck said:

Miller got a 4 year deal for $36 million. $9/m a year wasn't (and still isn't) closer money. 

When Miller signed in December 2014 there were only 3 reliever contracts that were larger as far as I can tell.

Paplebon  4/50m  

Robertson  4/46m

Kimbrel  4/42m

Miller 4/36m

That puts Miller in closer money going into the 2015 season.  

The contract was 36m.  Looking at just the 9m does not tell the story accurately.

Here is an article to  back that up.

https://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2014/9/17/6264159/highest-paid-relievers-baseball

3 minutes ago, atomic said:

The Hardy extension worked out well as the team played great with him at short stop.  He had some injuries but it wasn't like we were paying him top dollar.

Or they could have let him go for a pick and traded for someone like, I don't know, Didi Gregorius. 

3 minutes ago, FanSince88 said:

My biggest takeaway from the article is this:

BRADY. MUST. GO. NOW!!

I don't know how you take that out of this article.

If anything, the argument should be one of possibly two:

1. Fire Duquette and give Brady the reins

2. Hire a new GM and clearly set the roles/barriers for new GM and Brady

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Pretty much.  I just wanted to use the hand raised emoticon. 

I wold have been less opposed to a Miller extension, he's just filthy in a way O'Day isn't.

The thing I wondered about in connection with the O'Day contract, and I'm sure I asked about this at the time and didn't get an answer, is this. O'Day throws the ball in a way that's different from almost every other ML pitchers. Does that mean he's putting more strain on vulnerable parts of the arm (like the elbow, and the shoulder), making him especially likely to break down? Or less strain, so that he could be expected to last longer? Or is it roughly the same, as seems to be the case as his career plays out?. Maybe there aren't data about that, but I thought there' was at least some medical opinion.

I was hopeful that the Orioles had some information about that when they signed O'Day. Another false, stupidly false, hope on my part about the possibility of intelligent-decision-making in the Warehouse, I guess.

Just now, spiritof66 said:

The thing I wondered about in connection with the O'Day contract, and I'm sure I asked about this at the time and didn't get an answer, is this. O'Day throws the ball in a way that's different from almost every other ML pitchers. Does that mean he's putting more strain on vulnerable parts of the arm (like the elbow, and the shoulder), making him especially likely to break down? Or less strain, so that he could be expected to last longer? Or is it roughly the same, as seems to be the case as his career plays out?. Maybe there aren't data about that, but I thought there' was at least some medical opinion.

I was hopeful that the Orioles had some information about that when they signed O'Day. Another false, stupidly false, hope on my part about the possibility of intelligent-decision-making in the Warehouse, I guess.

I'm guessing you missed this?

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/do-sidearmers-get-hip-problems/

Just now, LookitsPuck said:

I don't know how you take that out of this article.

If anything, the argument should be one of possibly two:

1. Fire Duquette and give Brady the reins

2. Hire a new GM and clearly set the roles/barriers for new GM and Brady

Name a single player Brady advocated for or move he was involved in that has worked out.  They've all been miserable failures.  Reimold. Frickin Mike Wright.  The ABOMINABLE CHRIS DAVIS CONTRACT.  Re-signing Mark Trumbo.  Must I go on?

Sure, Cobb might work out.  And Cashner has been an ok piece.  But everything leading up to those moves that Brady has done according to this article has been an utter disaster!  

Just now, FanSince88 said:

Name a single player Brady advocated for or move he was involved in that has worked out.  They've all been miserable failures.  Reimold. Frickin Mike Wright.  The ABOMINABLE CHRIS DAVIS CONTRACT.  Re-signing Mark Trumbo.  Must I go on?

Sure, Cobb might work out.  And Cashner has been an ok piece.  But everything leading up to those moves that Brady has done according to this article has been an utter disaster!  

Brady changed Mancini's batting stance in Bowie and it resulted in more power.

Archived