Could the Braves be a darkhorse for Machado?

Dark Helmet

They have a loaded farm and look to be prime to contend this year. They have Jose Bautista playing 3B.

Manny seems like he could put them over the top.

I was looking at their prospect list and three names caught my attention.

Austin Riley- 3B

Luiz Gotta-LHP

Drew Waters- OF

Anyone know much about these players? Would that be an acceptable return to Machado?

The only way you're getting Riley is if the Braves don't think he's ready to contribute mid-season, Bautista is a bust at 3B and the Braves fully intend to address 3B in the offseason anyway. They view Riley as the heir apparent at 3B and someone who is very close.  (Of course, Bautista could be good and Swanson could be out long term or struggle when he comes back to make the scenario viable, too).

If the Braves get Machado and give up Riley to do it, then that means--to me--that the Braves will go all out to either resign him OR sign Donaldson or Moustakas in the offseason.

Overall, I can see the Braves buying this deadline, but I'm not sure I see them buying a rental piece. I think they'd be more likely to go after a pitcher like Michael Fulmer.

They have 7 pitching prospects in the top 100 right now....at least according to MLB.

The problem is they have so much top quality supply and there are going to be so many sellers that they can probably bid down the price a fair bit.  

Every team that is selling is going to want to trade with the Braves

3 minutes ago, LC_O's_87 said:

They have 7 pitching prospects in the top 100 right now....at least according to MLB.

The problem is they have so much top quality supply and there are going to be so many sellers that they can probably bid down the price a fair bit.  

Every team that is selling is going to want to trade with the Braves

So, who all is going to sell and what are they going to have to sell?

Machado will be the big piece. The question is: will the Braves be willing to go all in for 2018 or will they look more for controllable additions? I would bank on the later. I think Schoop (if they think he can move to 3B) or Gausman would be the pieces they'd be more willing to explore. Or, they could go for lower level guys, but then you're not getting a top tier prospect.

The Braves have gotten to a surprisingly good start this year and they are in position to be a very good team for a long time.  However, the Nats are still the overwhelming favorites to win the division this year.  The Braves would then be one of a number of teams competing to make the wildcard.

Austin Riley is very close to being ready and he is the Braves third basemen of the future.  Swanson got off to a decent start this year before suffering a minor injury and obviously Albies is their second basemen for the foreseeable future.

I don't think it makes much sense for the Braves to go for it this year for the slim chance that Machado can be a difference maker for a few months and trade someone as valuable as Riley projects to be for the next six plus years. 

1 hour ago, jamalshw said:

The only way you're getting Riley is if the Braves don't think he's ready to contribute mid-season, Bautista is a bust at 3B and the Braves fully intend to address 3B in the offseason anyway. They view Riley as the heir apparent at 3B and someone who is very close.  (Of course, Bautista could be good and Swanson could be out long term or struggle when he comes back to make the scenario viable, too).

If the Braves get Machado and give up Riley to do it, then that means--to me--that the Braves will go all out to either resign him OR sign Donaldson or Moustakas in the offseason.

Overall, I can see the Braves buying this deadline, but I'm not sure I see them buying a rental piece. I think they'd be more likely to go after a pitcher like Michael Fulmer.

I thought it was silly of the Braves to go with Bautista - particularly when they have a quality young versatile infielder in Camargo that did very well last year as a rookie 3Bman.  Camargo's now playing SS because Swanson hurt his wrist, but when Swanson returns, I think they should play Camargo over Bautista.  It'll be interesting to see what they do.  Obviously, Manny would be a big upgrade for them if they do trade for him.  

I don't know if this has any legs, but the idea of Machado, Freeman, and Acuna hitting in the same lineup is downright scary.

As an aside, I'm not sure the Braves think they're as pitching rich as everyone else does. The still seem to be figuring out what they think of their young pitchers. 

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I don't know if this has any legs, but the idea of Machado, Freeman, and Acuna hitting in the same lineup is downright scary.

As an aside, I'm not sure the Braves think they're as pitching rich as everyone else does. The still seem to be figuring out what they think of their young pitchers. 

Send them Machado and Gausman.   That might get their attention on letting go some better prospects.

I can't imagine they'd let Gohara go. It's not an uncommon opinion that he's the best  lefty starting prospect in the game. With that said, you could still get an absolute haul of talent from the Braves even without him. That farm is my 2nd favorite behind SD.

38 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

I can't imagine they'd let Gohara go. It's not an uncommon opinion that he's the best  lefty starting prospect in the game. With that said, you could still get an absolute haul of talent from the Braves even without him. That farm is my 2nd favorite behind SD.

Ive read a few comparisons to CC Sabathia. He's not as tall as Sabathia, but at 6'3 265 he has the makings of a workhorse. His fastball is rated at a 70 and has all the pitches. 

Archived