Hess to start game 1

bpilktree67

8 hours ago, Rene88 said:

But most are just 4a fodder? You say a lot and say nothing at the same time:) Lawyers...

Not what I said.   And if you don’t like what I have to say, just put me on ignore.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Pitching on 3 day rest is the exception not the rule.

It’s not ideal, but it’s not necessarily a recipe for disaster, either.   It’s not like nobody’s ever pitched on three days rest before — that was the normal practice for decades.   The O’s adjusted Hess’s routine between starts to give him a chance to be fresher than he otherwise would be on three days rest, and I’m sure the plan is for him to be yanked relatively early even if he pitches well.     From a fan’s point of view, I’m just anxious to see the guy pitch a game, after following his ups and downs in the minors for several years without ever laying eyes on the guy.   

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s not ideal, but it’s not necessarily a recipe for disaster, either.   It’s not like nobody’s ever pitched on three days rest before — that was the normal practice for decades.   The O’s adjusted Hess’s routine between starts to give him a chance to be fresher than he otherwise would be on three days rest, and I’m sure the plan is for him to be yanked relatively early even if he pitches well.     From a fan’s point of view, I’m just anxious to see the guy pitch a game, after following his ups and downs in the minors for several years without ever laying eyes on the guy.   

I hope we all get to see what we want to see.  Hess at his best.   But they are not setting up very well for that outcome.

10 hours ago, wildcard said:

On 3 days rest.   Tough way to break into the majors.   Meanwhile Melville went 8 innings tonight and allowed 3 runs.   His record in 5-0 with a 2.97 ERA.   He came out for the ninth and the 3rd run scored after he left. 108 pitches.

Wait hes going on short rest?  What in the world?  Why?

2 minutes ago, MikeAD said:

Wait hes going on short rest?  What in the world?  Why?

I guess the Rays wouldn’t agree to postpone the doubleheader for our convenience.    The best other alternative was to DFA Tillman and bring Melville up from Norfolk instead of having him pitch for Norfolk last night.   

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I guess the Rays wouldn’t agree to postpone the doubleheader for our convenience.    The best other alternative was to DFA Tillman and bring Melville up from Norfolk instead of having him pitch for Norfolk last night.   

I mean I get it, but at least let him start the second game.  In case it goes super poorly ya know?  

I hate forcing a young pitcher into their MLB debut under the worst circumstances.  I know theres not much of an alternative but we've watched this dozens of times.  Such a careless organization to even put yourself in such a position in the first place (goes without saying). 

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think the best other alternative was to offer up Mike Wright as a sacrificial lamb.  It would have been smart to either skip Melville or Hess this week at Norfolk too.  Everyone has known we would need a starter today for some time.

28 minutes ago, Frobby said:

They could have done several things.

They have put Vielma on the 60 day DL and promoted Melville.

They could have DFA'd  Tillman and promoted Melville.

They could have DFA'd Wright and promoted Melville.

They could have recalled Rickard and DFA'd Gentry and optioned Santander and promoted Melville.  

Coulda, woulda, shoulda.

2 hours ago, bobmc said:

I wonder if he slept last night?  If he didn't, is it two days?  Nice opportunity for the young man from Tennessee Tech!

What if he took a really long nap on Thursday... does that count as an extra day's rest?

1 hour ago, MikeAD said:

I mean I get it, but at least let him start the second game.  In case it goes super poorly ya know?  

I got the impression from Buck that they gave him the first game to avoid having him spend the whole day getting nervous about his debut.    

Archived