Straight talk: Buck is not coming back for a rebuild

wildcard

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think using Buck's age is reason enough that he won't go through a rebuild or want to stick around another five years. 

You see guys coach/manage into their 70's all the time.  If he's emotionally vested in the team (as I think he is) and still enjoys managing then he will stay if they will have him back.  That's the biggest unknown variable to me.  Do they want him back?

10 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

I don't think using Buck's age is reason enough that he won't go through a rebuild or want to stick around another five years. 

You see guys coach/manage into their 70's all the time.  If he's emotionally vested in the team (as I think he is) and still enjoys managing then he will stay if they will have him back.  That's the biggest unknown variable to me, is do they want him back?

Sorry, not buying it.  Losing 90 games is not fun.  Buck is not intentional going there.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Sorry, not buying it.  Losing 90 games in not fun.  Buck is not intentional going there.

It depends on how quickly he thinks they can turn it around.  Maybe he sees all the pitching talent in A ball and is thinking 2020-2021?  

All I'm saying is that you can't just write off the possibility that he will be back.  

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

No on on the 2019 rotation is going to be 1999 Randy Johnson.  12 CG 271 IP 2.76 FIP.

Buck did not have Randy Johnson in 2014 and he won 96.  Won the division.

You don't think Buck would be up for trying to build a 98-100 win team again?

3 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

My idea is to move Schoop to shortstop (assuming Manny leaves), Id see if Mountcastle can play a decent second base and I'd go all in to sign Moustakas for third..thats a pretty good infield...Id also try and find a betting catching option and an add another arm with the money we will be saving...

Go get them Roy.   There is a way.  And Buck will find it

You seem to assume that (1) Buck is obsessed with making the Hall of Fame, (2) getting a WS ring guarantees him a HOF spot, and (3) there’s some other job with a WS ring in plain view that’s just sitting there waiting for him.    

I suggest that you don’t really know Buck’s motivations.   You’re just projecting your own thoughts onto him.    

I suggest that every manager would like to win a WS ring, whether it gets them to the Hall of Fame or not.   

I suggest that there aren’t that many managerial jobs open on teams with a decent likelihood of winning the WS in the near future.  

I suggest that if there are such teams, they may or may not have an interest in Buck as their manager.  

I really have no idea if Buck would want to stick around for a rebuild, or if Oriole management would want him to.

Archived