Per Heyman, Cards, D'Backs, Cubs, and Indians All Possible Suitors for Machado

wildbillhiccup

Here you go folks. Something new to speculate about ;)

I've been beating the Cardinals drum for months (Reyes, Flaherty, Weaver, etc.) and the D'Backs and Cubs have long been linked to Machado. The Indians are a new player though...

Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports reports that the Cubs could make Manny Machado their top deadline trade target.

Heyman reports that the Indians and perhaps the Diamondbacks and Cardinals have interest in acquiring Machado before the deadline as well. The 26-year-old shortstop is off to an excellent start to the season with 13 homers and a 1.074 OPS over 42 games. As Heyman notes, the Cubs lineup is loaded with quality players, but they haven't performed up to expectations. Paying a premium for a player that will be a free agent at the end of the year is always difficult, but adding a star like Machado would be a massive boon to Chicago. This will be a fun situation to monitor -- assuming you're not a fan of the Orioles.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cleveland's Top Prospects - http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018/#list=cle

Mejia (C/OF), McKenzie (RHP), Bradley (1B), Jones (3B), Castro (SS), Chang (SS), Benson (OF), Bieber (RHP)

Other MLB Roster Players Who Might be Targets: Zimmer (OF), Clevinger (RHP)

Chicago's Top Prospectshttp://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018/#list=cle?list=chc

Alzolay (RHP), Ademan (SS), De La Cruz (RHP), Albertos (RHP), Lange (RHP), Little (LHP), Hatch (RHP), Wilson (OF)

Other MLB Roster Players Who Might be Targets: Schwarber (OF), Happ (2B/OF), Russell (SS), Montgomery (LHP), Almora (OF)

St. Louis' Top Prospectshttp://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018/#list=cle?list=stl

Reyes (RHP), Flaherty (RHP), O'Neill (OF), Hudson (RHP), Hensley (RHP), Kniezner (C), Schrock (2B), Arozarena (OF)

Other MLB Roster Players Who Might be Targets: Weaver (RHP), Martinez (1B), Wong (2B)

Arizona's Top Prospectshttp://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018/#list=cle?list=ari

Duplantier (RHP), Smith (1B), Chisholm (SS), Widener (RHP), Wilson (OF), Varsho (C), Clarke (RHP), Ellis (3B)

Other MLB Roster Players Who Might be Targets: Marte (SS), Bradley (RHP)

4 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I don't much stock in what Heyman writes. No organization is going to hand over their top prospects for a two month rental. Fans need to get realistic.

If they aren't handing over their top prospect then they aren't getting Manny and the team they are battling for their division title will get him instead.  If Manny keeps hitting the way he has had the Orioles will certainly get the top prospect they are looking for.   If it were so easy to get guys like Manny at the trade deadline why didn't we do it in years past?

2 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

This will be a fun situation to monitor -- assuming you're not a fan of the Orioles.

Why do you say that, Heyman?  We've come to terms with the inevitability of Manny leaving.  So our fun is anticipating who we are getting back.  It's the baseball fan equivalent of a kid waiting to see what he gets for Christmas, or his birthday.

3 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I've been beating the Cardinals drum for months (Reyes, Flaherty, Weaver, etc.) and the D'Backs and Cubs have long been linked to Machado. The Indians are a new player though...

Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports reports that the Cubs could make Manny Machado their top deadline trade target.

Heyman reports that the Indians and perhaps the Diamondbacks and Cardinals have interest in acquiring Machado before the deadline as well. The 26-year-old shortstop is off to an excellent start to the season with 13 homers and a 1.074 OPS over 42 games. As Heyman notes, the Cubs lineup is loaded with quality players, but they haven't performed up to expectations. Paying a premium for a player that will be a free agent at the end of the year is always difficult, but adding a star like Machado would be a massive boon to Chicago. This will be a fun situation to monitor -- assuming you're not a fan of the Orioles.

OK, this is a pet peeve of mine, and I see people do it all the time. Why not link to the actual Heyman article, instead of posting the summary of the Heyman article from MLBTR? That way we can read the original story for ourselves instead of a secondhand account of it.

https://frsbaseball.com/mlb/cubs/heyman-cubs-could-be-landing-spot-for-manny-machado/

I would be happy with any team trading for him. 

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And ownership has shown to have a ridiculous concept of fair value when it comes to their assets.

Yes they sure have. That's why I don't think he will be traded at all. All the O's will get is a pick. 

One thing that gives me hope is the potential that both the Cubs and Cards are interested. There might be some incentive to go a little bigger because a win for one hurts the other. 

“Come on Jerry, I’ve got Bob Sugar on the other line...”

38 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

And ownership has shown to have a ridiculous concept of fair value when it comes to their assets.

Well in this case fair market value should be extremely high.   

Cleveland's Top Prospects - http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018/#list=cle

Mejia (C/OF), McKenzie (RHP), Bradley (1B), Jones (3B), Castro (SS), Chang (SS), Benson (OF), Bieber (RHP)

Other MLB Roster Players Who Might be Targets: Zimmer (OF), Clevinger (RHP)

Chicago's Top Prospectshttp://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018/#list=cle?list=chc

Alzolay (RHP), Ademan (SS), De La Cruz (RHP), Albertos (RHP), Lange (RHP), Little (LHP), Hatch (RHP), Wilson (OF)

Other MLB Roster Players Who Might be Targets: Schwarber (OF), Happ (2B/OF), Russell (SS), Montgomery (LHP), Almora (OF)

St. Louis' Top Prospectshttp://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018/#list=cle?list=stl

Reyes (RHP), Flaherty (RHP), O'Neill (OF), Hudson (RHP), Hensley (RHP), Kniezner (C), Schrock (2B), Arozarena (OF)

Other MLB Roster Players Who Might be Targets: Weaver (RHP), Martinez (1B), Wong (2B)

Arizona's Top Prospectshttp://m.mlb.com/prospects/2018/#list=cle?list=ari

Duplantier (RHP), Smith (1B), Chisholm (SS), Widener (RHP), Wilson (OF), Varsho (C), Clarke (RHP), Ellis (3B)

Other MLB Roster Players Who Might be Targets: Marte (SS), Bradley (RHP)

Good stuff Wild Bill.  I too like the Saint Louis option because of the pitching, but really I wonder if the priority should be infield prospects at this point.  If you get say Schrock + pitching for Manny, then you can flip Schoop for more help and not have to worry about a repeat of the extension debacle.

Personally, I know some people are cool on the idea of Addison Russell since he's not as good as Manny.... but he's young.  Remember Didi Gregorius when he was first traded to the Yankees?  Nice player, young player, but not like today.  He really blossomed.  If the team can get a deal headlined by Russell and Almora, I would call that a win.

Cleveland is really interesting because they have a number of prospects outside the top 100 that match up with this need - i.e. infield prospects.  Nolan Jones is the #9 3B prospect via MLB.com, but he's only 20.  Willie Castro is a nice switch hitting SS projected to have an above-average hitting skill.  Yu-Cheng Chang is another SS that has some power to his swing.  I don't expect Cleveland to hand over Francisco Mejia, but two of those three plus a couple pitchers would be an interesting haul.

15 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I disagree.

We have a very good idea how much excess value Manny will provide.

It is not as if getting Manny guarantees anything and teams know that.

What the team should not do is screw with potential trading partners by squeezing them too much and taking too long to do so.

It is, however, what I fear they will do.

Archived