Orioles: Most inept organization in all of profesional sports?

foxfield

Tillman had absolutely nothing last night.   I stopped watching after 5 or 6 batters because it was clear it was hopeless.   

It’s amazing to me that he was able to throw a 7 inning one-hitter in his last start.   Even Ubaldo’s occasional great starts were far more probable than that.   

Frankly, I no longer care whether they release Tillman or not, since our season is effectively over either way.    I’m in no big hurry to see any of our MiL pitchers up here.    Nobody’s knocking down the door.

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I was telling a buddy earlier tonight that the Orioles have had some of the worst things ever in their history.  Just incompetence all around.

I don't know of any franchises that

Started a season 0-21

Finished a season 4-32

14 consecutive losing seasons

Lost a game 30-3

An owner continually considered as the worst owner in the sport

I'm sure I'm forgetting some other things.

I'm sure some teams have embarrassing spots in their histories but I can't think of a crappier resume when it comes to being terrible than the Orioles.  

It's crazy, and yet the Sox and Cubs fans were the ones who got to play the "cursed franchise" card for all those years. 

Not incompetence, but I would add the Jeffrey Maier homer and possibly the Vizquel foul tip to the list. It's like even when we are good, MLB and/or the baseball gods find a way to screw us.

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

It's crazy, and yet the Sox and Cubs fans were the ones who got to play the "cursed franchise" card for all those years. 

Not incompetence, but I would add the Jeffrey Maier homer and possibly the Vizquel foul tip to the list. It's like even when we are good, MLB and/or the baseball gods find a way to screw us.

Not sure if this qualifies, but how adding Playoffs Jim Johnson to the list?

And don't forget a manager that calls  a marginal starting pitcher, instead of the best reliever in baseball in extra innings of a playoff game, and further leaves him in after allowing 2 base runners, waiting I guess the eventual game winning hit.

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

And don't forget a manager that calls  a marginal starting pitcher, instead of the best reliever in baseball in extra innings of a playoff game, and further leaves him in after allowing 2 base runners, waiting I guess the eventual game winning hit.

Every team has had a manager screw the pooch, that wasn't my point.

My point is that this team has had mind numbingly embarrassing streaks of incompetence, and in the case of the 30-3 game, a microcosm of how bad they can be.

Again, no franchise anywhere has started 0-21, 14 straight losing seasons, finishing a season 4-32.  Some teams might have done one of those things, but not all of those things.  The Orioles sure have a lot of bright spots in their history but I can't think of a franchise that has had so many downright embarrassing moments.  

11 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I feel like this team needs a new slogan.  The 76ers had the slogan "Respect the Process" where they embraced losing.

I can't seem to think of a good one for the O's.  How about "More fun than watching paint dry."?

How 'bout "burn it to the ground"? Or perhaps we can temporarily change our logo to a pig wearing lipstick? 

Show on last night:

“It is [tough], it is,” manager Buck Showalter said. “He cares so much, but nobody understands what this is all about more than Chris, and what’s at stake. I’m sure it’s real frustrating for him, as it was for us, for him to take what we hoped was a really good step last time out and then have a tough outing like tonight.”

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-angels-thursday-game-0504-story.html

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Tillman had absolutely nothing last night.   I stopped watching after 5 or 6 batters because it was clear it was hopeless.   

It’s amazing to me that he was able to throw a 7 inning one-hitter in his last start.   Even Ubaldo’s occasional great starts were far more probable than that.   

Frankly, I no longer care whether they release Tillman or not, since our season is effectively over either way.    I’m in no big hurry to see any of our MiL pitchers up here.    Nobody’s knocking down the door.

It's funny but with that game following Bundy's first bad start, the thought went through my mind--what if Tillman winds up the year as our best pitcher?  Guess not.

On 4/13/2018 at 8:17 PM, Frobby said:

I consider myself to be as patient as any member of this board.   Today was the last straw.    Release  Tillman.  

At this point, I’m wondering if Colin Kaepernick can pitch.

They have to do something. This is pathetic. 

Tonight we have a

1B in LF 

LF in CF 

DH in RF

DH at 3rd 

3B at SS

Utility player at 2nd 

DH at 1B 

Suddenly defensively struggling C 

They have to make some moves, have to. This is unwatchable. Trumbo is an embarrassment in RF. Valencia can’t jump 5 inches. Davis has lost all his athleticism at 1B.  

Nothing angers me more than lousy defense. 

Archived