Orioles: Most inept organization in all of profesional sports?

foxfield

16 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

No, they're not the most inept.

Even just in baseball you have at least two who have been worse in the Padres and Marlins. Those franchises haven't put a playoff team on the field in 12 and 15 years respectively, have made some pretty disastrously backfiring decisions on the way, and have very little hope for winning in sight. 

The vast majority of teams are run better than us though. 

Forgot about the Marlins too!  Yea they take the cake.

And to your point in bold, isn't that what makes an organization inept though?  They way in which its run?

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

At least they have a plan.  

We don't.

I am not sure if there's a more inept team in professional sports but the Orioles are on the list.

Yup, its the fly by the seat of your pants thing that just does not work and is so infuriating

1 minute ago, joelala said:

Forgot about the Marlins too!  Yea they take the cake.

And to your point in bold, isn't that what makes an organization inept though?  They way in which its run?

Say what you want about the Marlins, at least they have 2 WS rings since they've been in existence.  The Padres are probably more inept.  

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Say what you want about the Marlins, at least they have 2 WS rings since they've been in existence.  The Padres are probably more inept.  

Padres at least swim in the biggest talent acquisition pool in all of baseball, and do so somewhat effectively.

Just now, joelala said:

Padres at least swim in the biggest talent acquisition pool in all of baseball, and do so somewhat effectively.

That's probably my biggest gripe with the Orioles.  

It's unforgivable.  If I ran the show I'd make sure every kid in the Dominican had an Orioles hat and using gloves and bats and balls provided by the Orioles.  I'd get them so wrapped up in black and orange (literally) that they'd think the best team ever was the Orioles instead of the Yankees.  I'd be setting up fields for them to play on and hiring locals to help run everything.  Any good coach that's down there would be on my payroll.  It'd be the biggest goodwill ambassadorship campaign ever and I'd be signing kids down there left and right.  

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It's unforgivable.  If I ran the show I'd make sure every kid in the Dominican had an Orioles hat and using gloves and bats and balls provided by the Orioles.  I'd get them so wrapped up in black and orange (literally) that they'd think the best team ever was the Orioles instead of the Yankees.  I'd be setting up fields for them to play on and hiring locals to help run everything.  Any good coach that's down there would be on my payroll.  It'd be the biggest goodwill ambassadorship campaign ever and I'd be signing kids down there left and right.  

It is definitely my biggest gripe with the Orioles and is completely unforgivable.  Not only does it hamstring us in our ability to acquire young, impact talent, but I imagine it will also start to impact our ability to compete for impact Latin American free agents.

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

That is my plan. Give away equipment and unis.

Worst in baseball.  There is no plan because there is no structure.  You can't ignore the international market, ignore OBP, hand out the Davis contract, give guys like Davies away, and do other stupid things and have any sustained success.

29 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I thought I remembered the Orioles making some kind of significant upgrade like this about ten years ago... a Dominican academy, scouts in place, etc. etc. Did I just dream that, or did they start something and then abandon it?

9 minutes ago, now said:

I thought I remembered the Orioles making some kind of significant upgrade like this about ten years ago... a Dominican academy, scouts in place, etc. etc. Did I just dream that, or did they start something and then abandon it?

That was all pre Andy MacPHail. 

On 5/12/2018 at 10:56 PM, Frobby said:

Yeah, nothing new there.   Also, Cafardo is an unabashed Duquette booster and it’s not surprising he would write a piece in which Duquette comes off as a victim.   (Not that there isn’t some truth to that.)

How many stories from how many sources do you need to hear that  basically say the same thing until you and others start to believe that maybe these aren't pieces made out to make Duquette look like a victim, but rather the truth behind the situation?

I am going to submit the owners of the Washington Wizards (includes all cities and names), the Washington Caps and the Washington Mystics. They have been owned by two men, Abe Polin and Ted Leonsis. They have owned the teams for more than 110 (55. 45 and 19} seasons of combined ineptitude and have one (yes one) championship to show for their efforts. They don't seemed to be vilified by the press, but the results speak volumes about ineptitude.

1 hour ago, weams said:

That was all pre Andy MacPHail. 

That's what I thought. So they did start to build something good there, then abandoned it... under AM or next regime?

Archived