Jim Palmer just threw Chris Davis under the bus

accinfo

1 minute ago, Aglets said:

Not really interested in playing hypothetical Devil's advocate mind games here.  I'm curious what you actually believe.

Do you think Davis called into that radio show, and completely made up a story about driving home from a Coolbaugh workout session?

Am I like...........COMPLETELY 100% sure that Davis isn't a total, repeated pathological liar?

No.  But I've examined enough evidence now to believe I know where it points.

When I look at the stark decline in both Davis' bat speed and foot speed I feel that he is not working exceptionally hard in the offseason.  The decline is too rapid and is coming a couple of years too early.

My personal belief is that the Davis and Coolbaugh did a lot more talking than physical work this offseason.

I do not feel secure enough in that to label either one a liar.

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So let me get this straight:

Apparently, Coolbaugh and Davis spent a lot of time working together in the offseason, it was talked about in a few places.  Everyone thought this was true.

Palmer says some stuff last night about it not being true.

No one knows what the truth really is.  On one hand, people thought that Coolbaugh and Davis had been working together.  On the other hand, Palmer says it's bogus.

Despite conflicting information and no hard evidence, people are believing what they want to believe because...well, Davis.  

Do I have everything correct here so far?

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Apparently, Coolbaugh and Davis spent a lot of time working together in the offseason, it was talked about in a few places.  Everyone thought this was true.

No one knows what the truth really is.  On one hand, people thought that Coolbaugh and Davis had been working together.  On the other hand, Palmer says it's bogus.

Despite conflicting information and no hard evidence, people are believing what they want to believe because...well, Davis.  

I think we see pretty hard evidence every night.

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Agree.   To accuse Buck of lying is nonsensical.    There’s no reason for him to lie about something like that.    

In this article, all Coolbaugh says is that he and Davis discussed the mental aspects of his problems. At no point does Coolbaugh state that he and Davis had been working on the physical aspects of fixing his problems.

I called Buck a liar because he lies a lot. If I was wrong this time, oh well.

1 minute ago, mdbdotcom said:

In this article, all Coolbaugh says is that he and Davis discussed the mental aspects of his problems. At no point does Coolbaugh state that he and Davis had been working on the physical aspects of fixing his problems.

I called Buck a liar because he lies a lot. If I was wrong this time, oh well.

I didn't see anything in those articles to suggest that Davis thought a physical fix of any sort was needed.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think that sums it up nicely.  So, what does it mean? Watch the film of Davis striking out last night.  He makes little attempt to even track the ball.  He is a mess and at this point it matters very little whether he worked once, worked daily or not at all.  The results speak for themselves.

I like Chris and hate that he looks so poor.  I worry about the weight of failure and how it affects him, because well he is human.  On the other hand, it's painful to see his name in the lineup and see at bats like the one highlighted last night.  The solution is simply to let him go or send him down and see if he can get it back.

It looks like punishment to him, to keep running him out there.  It is certainly punishment to the Orioles.  I hate it all around for him, and us, and the Orioles.

Just now, foxfield said:

I think that sums it up nicely.  So, what does it mean? Watch the film of Davis striking out last night.  He makes little attempt to even track the ball.  He is a mess and at this point it matters very little whether he worked once, worked daily or not at all.  The results speak for themselves.

I like Chris and hate that he looks so poor.  I worry about the weight of failure and how it affects him, because well he is human.  On the other hand, it's painful to see his name in the lineup and see at bats like the one highlighted last night.  The solution is simply to let him go or send him down and see if he can get it back.

It looks like punishment to him, to keep running him out there.  It is certainly punishment to the Orioles.  I hate it all around for him, and us, and the Orioles.

He can make it end at any time.

3 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I don't think there's any amount of coaching that can get him where he needs to be.  The bat looks slow.  

5 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Apparently you stopped reading right there and didn't read about people believing what they want to believe.

If he worked hard or did not seems irrelevant at this point.  It did not work and what happens now? They will not get rid of his salary this year and probably not next year. The team is tough to watch and getting  less enjoyable. Then I see Roch keep saying the Orioles are not going to give away Machado. Better to keep him if not a good offer. Ship is adrift and something has to change.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Can he?  I mean, who is supposed to do this.  Do you think Davis does not want to "earn" his massive salary?  Is there any moral requirement for him to say "I'm done, keep your money"?

The Orioles made the deal and it's the Orioles that have to fix it either by cutting Davis or sending him down.  Otherwise Davis has to perform.

It's very much like the DD situation in that DD could have quit rather than stay without full abilities to do the job.  But DD, has to stay to get paid.  So does Chris.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

I think he has a combination of physical and mental issues.   Last year I suggested maybe he should see a hypnotist.    Watching that at bat last night where he wasn’t even watching the ball, I’m really thinking he needs to do that.    Something’s really wrong there.   

Meanwhile, he needs to be benched.   He’s not a major league player right now, so stop pretending he is.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't think there's any amount of coaching that can get him where he needs to be.  The bat looks slow.  

Agree completely.  And I still feel sorry for him.  And I think the Orioles need to move on.

Archived