Jim Palmer just threw Chris Davis under the bus

accinfo

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Can he?  I mean, who is supposed to do this.  Do you think Davis does not want to "earn" his massive salary?  Is there any moral requirement for him to say "I'm done, keep your money"?

The Orioles made the deal and it's the Orioles that have to fix it either by cutting Davis or sending him down.  Otherwise Davis has to perform.

It's very much like the DD situation in that DD could have quit rather than stay without full abilities to do the job.  But DD, has to stay to get paid.  So does Chris.

I have never said there was a moral requirement or that I thought he was supposed to do it.

He's got a signed guaranteed contract in his hand, as far as I am concerned he's earned every penny ownership was foolish enough to give him.

I was just saying that if the mental strain became too much he has an out.

5 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Good to heard someone finally call a spade a spade. Palmer has his flaws, but he's certainly never been accused of being a mouth piece for the team. He tells it like it is, for better or worse sometimes.

Well, Palmer is a living legend in this town.  He can pretty much say what he wants, everyone will love him no matter what (including me, I love listening to him).  The only Oriole with 3 rings, the only Oriole with 3 Cy Youngs, Hall of Famer...I mean, I think even Angelos knows that he can't mess with that.  Jon Miller was loved, but this is a whole different level.  

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I have never said there was a moral requirement or that I thought he was supposed to do it.

He's got a signed guaranteed contract in his hand, as far as I am concerned he's earned every penny ownership was foolish enough to give him.

I was just saying that if the mental strain became too much he has an out.

Well I think you're close.  The mental strain has become too much because he is an automatic out. ;) 

The question is, do adjustments help to make Davis become a $26M per year hitter? If not, then I can see why he wasnt working with Coolbaugh in the offseason. Other than letting him sit a week to get a reset and come up with a new approach, im not sure what can be done. The O's probably want him playing everyday because his bad numbers actually help them in the draft as long as they aren't winning. 

9 hours ago, Rene88 said:

Was watching Caps then Brockmire (so funny) : must have missed that! That’s crazy!

Love Brockmire! I'm waiting until the season is almost over because I can't stand to watch just one episode at a time. 

There is no amount of off season work that will help a person who cannot track a fastball; check out the video of one of his takes last night; his eyes were focused on third base as the ball crossed near the center of the plate.

I'd DL him for 10 days and run a battery of eye tests with a top  opthamologist; I'm concerned about more than his baseball career at this point 

Just now, eddie83 said:

My guess is they worked together but not to the extent that Coolbagh would have liked. Also possible Davis was not as receptive to changes that Coolbaugh wanted him to implement. Just guessing.  

This seems pretty plausible to me.  The evidence seems pretty darn clear to me that they did work together and that Coolbaugh lied to Palmer about it to try and save face.

That is totally compatible with the scenario where Davis only went to these sessions half-heartedly.........didn't really think he needed to change that much ( I think he had a quote at one point that said it was all mental or something)...............and didn't put in 100% effort.

They are both at fault then......which seems pretty likely to me.

2 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

You would hope his salary would enable him to get some help with those things so that he could spend some time working on the skills that provide his livelihood. 

His livelihood isn't affected by his skills.   You sign a player with an inconsistent career to 7 year contract and you are suprised he isn't playing well? 

49 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well, Palmer is a living legend in this town.  He can pretty much say what he wants, everyone will love him no matter what (including me, I love listening to him).  The only Oriole with 3 rings, the only Oriole with 3 Cy Youngs, Hall of Famer...I mean, I think even Angelos knows that he can't mess with that.  Jon Miller was loved, but this is a whole different level.  

Plus he is past retirement age and only working part time for fun. 

Archived