Paul Folk: Spin Rate

weams

So Pedro has a high spin rate, but CH is his best pitch and his FB gets hammered.  Do they measure the CH  and the FB differently, looking for different spin rates?  His velo on the FB is not high, but it spins so it holds the plane longer.  Any idea on why it gets hit for damage more? *

"Pete" has three more months to learn his craft before we can hide him in September.  Also, if we waive him, does another team have to keep him for a full season (162 games)? *

Even though Araujo has not excelled, he has shown "promise" and I don't really see anyone "on the farm"  much better or worth starting the clock.  Also in a lost season, whatever.  ⚾ 

*No MUS ing!  ?

15 minutes ago, weams said:

This is a heck of an article. Paul writes so well. 

Disclaimer: I don’t consider myself an expert on sabermetrics. I’m not a licensed and bonded sabermetrician with a degree from Stats University. I’m just a guy who finds this stuff interesting. And with sabermetrics and advanced stats being such a crucial part of how most teams operate these days, I think it’s important to take a closer look at these metrics and what they mean.

http://www.baltimorebaseball.com/2018/05/28/stats-folks-spin-rate-exactly-matter/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

2 hours ago, bobmc said:

So Pedro has a high spin rate, but CH is his best pitch and his FB gets hammered.  Do they measure the CH  and the FB differently, looking for different spin rates?  His velo on the FB is not high, but it spins so it holds the plane longer.  Any idea on why it gets hit for damage more? *

"Pete" has three more months to learn his craft before we can hide him in September.  Also, if we waive him, does another team have to keep him for a full season (162 games)? *

Even though Araujo has not excelled, he has shown "promise" and I don't really see anyone "on the farm"  much better or worth starting the clock.  Also in a lost season, whatever.  ⚾ 

*No MUS ing!  ?

Is Arajuo that much better than Jimmy Yacabonis?  I’d rather we go back to giving a bunch of AAA players shots and see who sticks rather than be hamstrung with Rule 5 picks. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Is Arajuo that much better than Jimmy Yacabonis?  I’d rather we go back to giving a bunch of AAA players shots and see who sticks rather than be hamstrung with Rule 5 picks. 

I'd rather have Pedro for next year. 

On 5/28/2018 at 11:55 AM, sportsfan8703 said:

They are at least equal, results-wise IMO, and Hart does not qualify as much.   It does seem to me that Pedro needs another good pitch unless the FB develops.  Yaco is just AAAA to me thus far.  

Archived