Cedric Mullins Eastern League Player of the Week

weams

Joe Fitzhenry

Communications Manager

Cedric Mullins Named Eastern League Player of the Week

BOWIE, Md.- Baysox OF Cedric Mullins has been named the Eastern League Player of the Week for the period of May 21-27, as announced by the league office on Tuesday morning.

In six games last week, Mullins hit .560-0-5 (14-25, 2B, 3B, 3 BB, 9 R, 3 SB) and recorded four multi-hit games including tying his career-high with four hits on Sunday at Binghamton.

He is the first Baysox to capture a weekly award this season and this marks the second consecutive season that the Campbell University product has received a Player of the Week honor after winning the award for the period of April 6-16, 2017.

The Greensboro, N.C., native is hitting .313-6-28 with 12 doubles, four triples and eight stolen bases in 47 games this season. The 23-year-old is tied for second in the Eastern League in hits (60) and triples (4).

Mullins put together a 12-game hitting streak from May 15-27, the longest streak by a Baysox player this season.

Mullins was ranked as the No. 9 prospect in the Orioles’ system by Baseball America entering the season and was originally selected by Baltimore in the 13th round of the 2015 draft out of Campbell.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am hoping Jones is traded and Mullins takes his place.  I believe Mullins is a better major league CF than Jones right now, taking into account hitting and fielding.  How many runs would Mullins save in CF over Jones over a season.  Is 20 runs an exaggeration?

49 minutes ago, wildcard said:

He needs to be promoted to Norfolk.

It is absolutely time for this.  He is 23.  He the equivalent of a full season at AA under his belt and has shown marked improvement this year.  Nothing left for Cedric to prove at AA. 

21 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I am hoping Jones is traded and Mullins takes his place.  I believe Mullins is a better major league CF than Jones right now, taking into account hitting and fielding.  How many runs would Mullins save in CF over Jones over a season.  Is 20 runs an exaggeration?

Yes. Four would be extreme. 

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

You know I give no credence to those metrics. I am not alone. 

8 minutes ago, weams said:

Yes. Four would be extreme. 

I don't believe that.  Jones range has really declined.  A CF with plus range would probably get to a ball every week or two that Jones didn't.  If there is data saying otherwise, I would be happy to learn about it.

Jones is 19th out of 20 CF with enough time in CF in DWAR with -1.1, Lorenzo Cain leads in DWAR with 1.0.  I know that DWAR isn't a perfect stat, but Jones is costing runs and probably games in CF.  An extreme example would be putting Trumbo in CF, would his defensive value be the same as Jones?

13 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Jones is 19th out of 20 CF with enough time in CF in DWAR with -1.1, Lorenzo Cain leads in DWAR with 1.0.  I know that DWAR isn't a perfect stat, but Jones is costing runs and probably games in CF.  An extreme example would be putting Trumbo in CF, would his defensive value be the same as Jones?

Nothing about the Orioles outfield makes sense, when Buck thinks it's ok to play Mancini, Jones and Trumbo at the same time.  

Buck and the front office seem to think the Orioles are playing under beer league softball rules.

1 minute ago, Roy Firestone said:

My quarrel with Mullins is his lack of power.When Manny and Adam leave as they will, we will be looking at a major power decrease in this lineup.I wish we had a more dangerous hitter in terms of power. Everything else looks pretty good in his skill set.

How's that dong first strategy been working out for the O's offense this year?

24 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

My quarrel with Mullins is his lack of power.When Manny and Adam leave as they will, we will be looking at a major power decrease in this lineup.I wish we had a more dangerous hitter in terms of power. Everything else looks pretty good in his skill set.

He has more power than you seem to think he does.  Not as much as Jones, but he could certainly project to being around a 20 homer, 40 doubles kind of guy.

Archived