18 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

I'm rooting for (in no particular order):

• Machado to increase his trade value and be healthy...and get traded
  • Jones to continue hitting well and be healthy...and get traded
  • Trumbo to be healthy and hit well...and get traded
  • Valencia to be healthy and hit well...and get traded
  • Britton to come back, be effective...and get traded
  • Brad Brach to turn it around...and get traded
  • Chris Davis to be benched and/or when hitting to bat 9th until he turns it around
  • Chris Tillman to be cut
  • Colby Rasmus to be cut
  • Mancini to play 1B or DH
  • Call up all the young guys

And last, but certainly not least, Duquette to be let go and a competent GM with an analytics background to man the helm.

Are you saying Dan has no analytics background? 

Any GM here can only do what he can do. 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I posted this in December...  Embrace the losing, indeed!

I've heard the 2018 Orioles marketing department has already been asked to create the "Farewell, Manny!" marketing theme for next season...  Sort of an anti-"You Gotta Believe" twist ("Believe in Nothing!"), one which requires of its fans a very modern embrace of a nihilistic cynicism, forking over their quid in order to be part of an extreme, "once in a lifetime" ride into the abyss of irrelevance...  If they can't recoup actual players for Manny, the Os sure as hell are going to try and recoup as much cash as they can!!!  

I am rooting for individual performances, for sure.  Also enjoying Manny's last season here.

The thing that saddens me the most is that I don't trust the Orioles to rebuild correctly.  I don't trust them to get a good package back for Manny (I don't trust that they will trade him, honestly) and even if they have the #1 pick, I think they'd probably botch that, too.

Angelos is still here.  Brady is ascending to be the shot caller and running the organization.  I am not sure if a really good GM would want to be here and under his thumb.

Who knows, maybe Brady turns out to be a fantastic FO guy for us, but the results so far seem to be mixed at best.

I don't have a problem embracing the losing if there's a definite plan ahead but from what I can tell there's not.  

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

Are you saying Dan has no analytics background? 

Any GM here can only do what he can do. 

No, I'm just listing what I want in my next GM. I don't know whether or not he has an analytics background. I haven't been able to find much in terms of his college major(s). I just know the game has largely passed him by. He's 60. It's time to move on.

I disagree 100% on saying that any GM here can only do what Duquette can do. I'd hope the next GM can actually rebuild the farm system and not have a payroll per win ratio that is so low relative to other clubs.

1 hour ago, LookitsPuck said:

No, I'm just listing what I want in my next GM. I don't know whether or not he has an analytics background. I haven't been able to find much in terms of his college major(s). I just know the game has largely passed him by. He's 60. It's time to move on.

I disagree 100% on saying that any GM here can only do what Duquette can do. I'd hope the next GM can actually rebuild the farm system and not have a payroll per win ratio that is so low relative to other clubs.

My point is any GM is limited to what ownership allows them to do. 

Kind of hard to build a farm system while you have been winning, don’t spend Internationally and once the losing starts have trades blocked.  

4 hours ago, eddie83 said:

My point is any GM is limited to what ownership allows them to do. 

Kind of hard to build a farm system while you have been winning, don’t spend Internationally and once the losing starts have trades blocked.  

As I've always said, I agree 100% of the lack of spending internationally. It is a blight of the Angelos family.

I'll agree that trades being blocked are certainly a problem, but also being in management I know that it is *our* responsibility to convince ownership. If we can't do that, it's probably a combination of things: lack of respect from ownership and/or lack of convincing by management. I'd imagine it's both here considering Duquette's less than stellar standing.

BTW, it may be hard to build a farm system while winning, but it's certainly not hard to not hemorrhage draft picks/valuable players. I'd argue us keeping Davies and not trading Parra means we save money on future middling pitchers and potentially could use that money on relief pitching and/or for a rainy day. 

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We really gotta make this a thing. What else do we have to do before the trade deadline?  

Well if they can put him in the lineup and bat him clean up we should reward them by making him start the all star game!!!

20 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Well if they can put him in the lineup and bat him clean up we should reward them by making him start the all star game!!!

I believe if he won that MLB would fix it so Davis lost.  Even if they have to get the Russians involved to fix the election.

1 hour ago, LookitsPuck said:

As I've always said, I agree 100% of the lack of spending internationally. It is a blight of the Angelos family.

I'll agree that trades being blocked are certainly a problem, but also being in management I know that it is *our* responsibility to convince ownership. If we can't do that, it's probably a combination of things: lack of respect from ownership and/or lack of convincing by management. I'd imagine it's both here considering Duquette's less than stellar standing.

BTW, it may be hard to build a farm system while winning, but it's certainly not hard to not hemorrhage draft picks/valuable players. I'd argue us keeping Davies and not trading Parra means we save money on future middling pitchers and potentially could use that money on relief pitching and/or for a rainy day. 

You can't equate ownership in most any other business with ownership of a major sports team.  You can be the worst owner of a major league baseball team/NFL team etc and still make boat loads of money.  Look up Robert Irsay, Dan Snyder, to mention a couple.  Tell me what GM a bad owner will have any respect for?  Trading for Parra was a bad move there is no doubt about it but judging Dan Duquette as a GM is much more complicated then that bad decision.  Letting an employee make bad decisions for your "business" when you believe he has "less than stellar standing" is much more an inditement of the owner then the employee.  

8 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

I'm rooting for (in no particular order):

• Machado to increase his trade value and be healthy...and get traded
  • Jones to continue hitting well and be healthy...and get traded
  • Trumbo to be healthy and hit well...and get traded
  • Valencia to be healthy and hit well...and get traded
  • Britton to come back, be effective...and get traded
  • Brad Brach to turn it around...and get traded
  • Chris Davis to be benched and/or when hitting to bat 9th until he turns it around
  • Chris Tillman to be cut
  • Colby Rasmus to be cut
  • Mancini to play 1B or DH
  • Call up all the young guys

And last, but certainly not least, Duquette to be let go and a competent GM with an analytics background to man the helm.

Add:

• Schoop to turn things around and increase his trade value... and get traded

But yes, I totally agree, this is what I want to see and what needs to happen.  Complete overhaul of the position players / lineup.

Archived