Draft Schedule

weams

3 minutes ago, joelala said:

Certainly could be.  

I'd be perfectly happy if the first round guys all got a million. And If they want to play College ball, let them. Eligible again the year after they last were enrolled. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-draft-prospects-with-highest-ceilings/c-275054666

The optimist would say that different mocks say different things because there are so many worthy options. The pessimist might say you're seeing so many different picks because there is no clear-cut No. 2 prospect behind Auburn's Mize (who isn't guaranteed to go No. 1, by the way).

In general, this far removed from the actual Draft, it's not uncommon to see varying options, even as high as No. 2. Sometimes we have a good sense of who the top five picks will be, but the order is still to be determined. In this year's Draft, there doesn't seem to be much certainty at all, and it really will depend on what direction the Giants want to go in. San Francisco has been the kind of team that is willing to take any kind of player in the Draft, and picking at No. 2, it will take the best available player. If it wants a high school arm, that could mean Stewart. If Mize goes No. 1 and the Giants want a college pitcher, it could be Brady Singer, who I had going there in my mock. There are a couple of college bats to choose from, with Georgia Tech's Joey Bart or South Alabama's Travis Swaggerty coming up in conversation. A high school bat doesn't seem likely, but never say never.

1 hour ago, bpilktree67 said:

I would like a few guy mentioned above but think they will be gone.  I think we look college arm and maybe a lefty which organization lacks.  So i am predicting we take Ryan Rollison out of ole Miss.

I watched his last start, which was his best results-wise in a while. He’s pretty much a two pitch guy right now, the changeup is pretty raw for a college guy. He goes heavy, heavy with his curve/slider breaking ball around 80mph. Right handed hitters barrel his fastball frequently. He was 90-93 early with the fastball. There is talent and upside but I think he’s a major reach at 11 he’s like a college version of DL Hall in a bigger body. He’s more a 20-30 pick guy. If you want a soph LHP with some upside, you could probably get Ethan Small in the 3rd round. Not a big drop off IMO.

I actually liked Small better than Rolison in the game looks I’ve gotten, but I haven’t seen both of them enough to go completely against the industry and rank Small ahead, Rolison’s Cape performance has to count for something plus his breaking ball is the best pitch either has.

24 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I watched his last start, which was his best results-wise in a while. He’s pretty much a two pitch guy right now, the changeup is pretty raw for a college guy. He goes heavy, heavy with his curve/slider breaking ball around 80mph. Right handed hitters barrel his fastball frequently. He was 90-93 early with the fastball. There is talent and upside but I think he’s a major reach at 11 he’s like a college version of DL Hall in a bigger body. He’s more a 20-30 pick guy. If you want a soph LHP with some upside, you could probably get Ethan Small in the 3rd round. Not a big drop off IMO.

I actually liked Small better than Rolison in the game looks I’ve gotten, but I haven’t seen both of them enough to go completely against the industry and rank Small ahead, Rolison’s Cape performance has to count for something plus his breaking ball is the best pitch either has.

Everywhere I see him listed is in the mid to early teens.  He has three above average pitchers and is pretty polished already which means he should rise quick.  There are few other guys that have more upside but I think they are gone by our pick.  

17 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

Everywhere I see him listed is in the mid to early teens.  He has three above average pitchers and is pretty polished already which means he should rise quick.  There are few other guys that have more upside but I think they are gone by our pick.  

He may have three above average pitches, but in the starts I’ve seen he has had an average FB, above average CB, and fringe average changeup with below average command.

He was plus FB, plus curveball in video from the Cape, but he’s not carrying that stuff now.

2 hours ago, MarCakes21 said:

We use analytics?  Crazy.

Well in this case it seems more like they just glanced at some trackman data (easily available to team, I wish I had access to it) and said hey maybe he’s missing all these bats due to elite extension. It doesn’t sound like they did anything new or groundbreaking here. Just what I like to do which is use scouting and stats together to give context to each other.

Archived