2018 4th Round (115) Drew Rom - LHP - Highlands HS (KY) LHP

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm fine with the pick.

Just not many 87-91 guys make the majors anymore.

Believe it or not, the current spike in pitcher velo has caused hitters to adapt somewhat, and currently there isn't quite as big a difference in batted ball outcomes at different FB velocities.  Plus he's a lefty, and everyone always looks for lefties.

I tend to be more wary that his velocity is going to go down, not up.  But I guess we're banking on his projectable frame.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Hallas said:

Believe it or not, the current spike in pitcher velo has caused hitters to adapt somewhat, and currently there isn't quite as big a difference in batted ball outcomes at different FB velocities.  Plus he's a lefty, and everyone always looks for lefties.

I tend to be more wary that his velocity is going to go down, not up.  But I guess we're banking on his projectable frame.

Right, part of the reason I want to see more velocity is so he is at a higher starting point for when the inevitable decline starts.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm fine with the pick.

Just not many 87-91 guys make the majors anymore.

Not saying his Britton, but he was 87-91 coming out of high school if I remember correctly. I know when I saw him in Aberdeen he was 89-92. I don't have much of an opinion here but i really wish the Orioles could have found some early round infielders. The system is very week. Guess they are going back to develop the arms, buy the bats philosophy.

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Not saying his Britton, but he was 87-91 coming out of high school if I remember correctly. I know when I saw him in Aberdeen he was 89-92. I don't have much of an opinion here but i really wish the Orioles could have found some early round infielders. The system is very week. Guess they are going back to develop the arms, buy the bats philosophy.

They should go with the grow everything we can, shop for the rest later philosophy

56 minutes ago, MDtransplant757 said:

They should go with the grow everything we can, shop for the rest later philosophy

B.P.A.

That is the only philosophy that makes any sense, in my view, especially with all these kids being at least a couple years away and with such a high fail rate for baseball prospects.

4 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

Hader was like 84 out of HS right? 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived