Best baseball movies

Rene88

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ORIOLE33 said:

Eight Men Out is an underrated classic. I know that the movie implied that they didn’t play after the 1919 World Series, but I believe they played another year.

Bad News Bears (1976) was also a great movie.

o

The movie was made on a very strict budget, which stipulated that it could not run one second over 2 hours ........ hence, this was one of the corners which it had to cut to accommodate this very specific restriction. 

If John Sayles had a "do-over" without this cost-cutting stipulation, the movie probably would have run between 2 hours and 15 minutes and 2 hours and 20 minutes, as opposed to the exact 1:59:59 which it actually was from the opening credits to the final second (literally) of the closing credits.

When taking this major handicap into consideration ...... something in which almost all of the other movies cited in this thread did not have to contend with ...... it makes the movie all the more impressive to me.

o

1 hour ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Field of Dreams hands down for me. Nothing even close. Brought a tear to my eyes. 

What part of Field of Dreams made you cry?  I saw it in the theaters and don't remember anything sad.  Other than Kevin Costner poor acting.  Certainly not a sad movie like Love Story or Manchester by the Sea.

Lot of baseball movies made and most of them not too good.  I would say Money Ball, League of their own,  Major League.

None of them are in the same league as Slap Shot.  Or even as good as bowling movies like Big Lebowski or Kingpin.  

7 minutes ago, atomic said:

What part of Field of Dreams made you cry?  I saw it in the theaters and don't remember anything sad.  Other than Kevin Costner poor acting.  Certainly not a sad movie like Love Story or Manchester by the Sea.

Lot of baseball movies made and most of them not too good.  I would say Money Ball, League of their own,  Major League.

None of them are in the same league as Slap Shot.  Or even as good as bowling movies like Big Lebowski or Kingpin.  

Playing catch with his dad. Burt Lancaster leaving the field to attend to the sick child. James Earl Jones epic speech "baseball measures the times."

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

My big beef with Moneyball is that they completely ignored the fact that the A’s had three returning aces plus Tejada in an MVP season that was otherworldly in terms of clutch performances.    Sure that’s not the crux of the movie, but to act like it never happened was a bit much.

You have a problem with Moneyball not 100 percent t realistic but have no problem with Field of Dreams?

1 minute ago, atomic said:

You have a problem with Moneyball not 100 percent t realistic but have no problem with Field of Dreams?

Moneyball is about real life events.  Field of dreams is a fantasy movie.

You are comparing Schindler's List to Krull.

2 minutes ago, elgordo said:

Playing catch with his dad. Burt Lancaster leaving the field to attend to the sick child. James Earl Jones epic speech "baseball measures the times."

I didnt find any of that stuff sad.  I also don't think it is a baseball movie.    More like a bunch of people taking acid and start hallucinating. But I don't like fantasy movies in general.  

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Moneyball is about real life events.  Field of dreams is a fantasy movie.

You are comparing Schindler's List to Krull.

Schindlers list is one of a couple of movies in AFIs top 100 movies of all time I have not seen.  When it came out I was like there have been enough movies made about WW2.  Now I figure it will be too depressing.  Don't know what Krull is.  

Just now, atomic said:

Schindlers list is one of a couple of movies in AFIs top 100 movies of all time I have not seen.  When it came out I was like there have been enough movies made about WW2.  Now I figure it will be too depressing.  Don't know what Krull is.  

I saw it at a cinema that served food and alcohol.  We drank two pitchers of Sangria. 

Sad for you that you haven't experienced Krull.

5112YNEHVQL._SY445_.jpg

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I saw it at a cinema that served food and alcohol.  We drank two pitchers of Sangria. 

Sad for you that you haven't experienced Krull.

5112YNEHVQL._SY445_.jpg

I would see it if I could see it in a theater that served pitchers of sangria.

34 minutes ago, atomic said:

What part of Field of Dreams made you cry?  I saw it in the theaters and don't remember anything sad.  

I used to have a law partner named Lanny Davis.   Some of you may know him as a Clinton surrogate during the Monica Lewinsky scandal.    His son is Seth Davis, who does college basketball analysis on CBS.

When Field of Dreams came out, Seth was in middle school or high school.    Lanny took Seth to see it, and during the final scene where Kevin Costner asks his dad if he wants to have a catch, Lanny just started bawling.   

That year for Hannukah, Seth got Lanny a large framed poster from Field of Dreams, on which he’d written in the corner “Hey Dad - Wanna have a catch?    Love, Seth”

That poster was the centerpiece on the wall of Lanny’s office.   I think of that every time I see the movie.   

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I used to have a law partner named Lanny Davis.   Some of you may know him as a Clinton surrogate during the Monica Lewinsky scandal.    His son is Seth Davis, who does college basketball analysis on CBS.

When Field of Dreams came out, Seth was in middle school or high school.    Lanny took Seth to see it, and during the final scene where Kevin Costner asks his dad if he wants to have a catch, Lanny just started bawling.   

That year for Hannukah, Seth got Lanny a large framed poster from Field of Dreams, on which he’d written in the corner “Hey Dad - Wanna have a catch?    Love, Seth”

That poster was the centerpiece on the wall of Lanny’s office.   I think of that every time I see the movie.   

I don't get why people cry at the scene.  I just watched it and he is playing catch with his dad as a young man.  I also don't understand why adults watch super hero movies.  So many mysteries.

Archived