Can We Hit a Pause Button with the Personal Attacks on Players? Let's Focus on the Big Picture.

Rene88

We follow sports because it is a break from the ordinary stressors in life. I get we are terrible. I saw failure coming after the Britton trade was blocked, writing on the wall....more ownership meddling but even I am shocked HOW bad we are. Kinda speechless, but it may be a blessing in disguise if executed properly.

And I know Davis is just awful, but he is a human being. He didn't steal the money. He was offered the money after DD didn't want to give it (our GM that was supposed to be in charge but clearly isn't). BUCK is the guy that went to Angelos. Why aren't people upset with Buck? Calling him names? And honestly it isn't his fault either-it's awful dysfunction. No chain of command.

Then I see people spiking the football on Hunter Harvey. He is worse than Hayden Penn from a health perspective....I knew he couldn't stay healthy...(I thought this about Bundy honestly and I was wrong, so let's not jump to collusions). First off, I wish I had 1/5 the talent of either Hayden Penn or Hunter Harvey. Second, Harvey is still young. Let's not give up quite yet there (separate issue from Davis IMO).

I am not trying to troll here but I think a point needs to be made. These are human beings. I am not saying we can't criticze them but really who gave Davis the contract? Who drafted a projected utility all-glove, limited hit SS in the first round this year? We need to hold ownership responsible, not Chris Davis. 

This organization has not invested in international talent (look down the road and Juan Soto...a think of beauty at 19...international free agent signing). The org letting Buck bring in his own staff despite jettisoning much much much better coaches (Rick Kranitz comes to mind). The Manager going over the head of the GM to get Chris Davis signed? The lack of investment in scouting and scouts in general?

I know most don't mean harm, really. I get it. Let's just focus less on personal attacks of the players and focus on the big picture about how this org is broken and perhaps if we could refocus our energy to the FO on writing letters, emails. We might do some good. And I am not trying to be hollier than thou because I have bashed many a player (Gentry comes to mind because he seems like a swell guy but thought he didn't belong on the roster) so I will try to focus myself as well.

End this dysfunction and let's hope we execute some good trades for the future. We aren't competing with the Sox or Yankees in the near term regardless so let's do this rebuild right and fix what is broken.

Go Orioles.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

We follow sports because it is a break from the ordinary stressors in life. I get we are terrible. I saw failure coming after the Britton trade was blocked, writing on the wall....more ownership meddling but even I am shocked HOW bad we are. Kinda speechless, but it may be a blessing in disguise if executed properly.

And I know Davis is just awful, but he is a human being. He didn't steal the money. He was offered the money after DD didn't want to give it (our GM that was supposed to be in charge but clearly isn't). BUCK is the guy that went to Angelos. Why aren't people upset with Buck? Calling him names? And honestly it isn't his fault either-it's awful dysfunction. No chain of command.

Then I see people spiking the football on Hunter Harvey. He is worse than Hayden Penn from a health perspective....I knew he couldn't stay healthy...(I thought this about Bundy honestly and I was wrong, so let's not jump to collusions). First off, I wish I had 1/5 the talent of either Hayden Penn or Hunter Harvey. Second, Harvey is still young. Let's not give up quite yet there (separate issue from Davis IMO).

I am not trying to troll here but I think a point needs to be made. These are human beings. I am not saying we can't criticze them but really who gave Davis the contract? Who drafted a projected utility all-glove, limited hit SS in the first round this year? We need to hold ownership responsible, not Chris Davis. 

This organization has not invested in international talent (look down the road and Juan Soto...a think of beauty at 19...international free agent signing). The org letting Buck bring in his own staff despite jettisoning much much much better coaches (Rick Kranitz comes to mind). The Manager going over the head of the GM to get Chris Davis signed? The lack of investment in scouting and scouts in general?

I know most don't mean harm, really. I get it. Let's just focus less on personal attacks of the players and focus on the big picture about how this org is broken and perhaps if we could refocus our energy to the FO on writing letters, emails. We might do some good. And I am not trying to be hollier than thou because I have bashed many a player (Gentry comes to mind because he seems like a swell guy but thought he didn't belong on the roster) so I will try to focus myself as well.

End this dysfunction and let's hope we execute some good trades for the future. We aren't competing with the Sox or Yankees in the near term regardless so let's do this rebuild right and fix what is broken.

Go Orioles.

I think you make some good points. I wish I could remember who posted about Davis was all on Angelos. Yes all of us are humans and make mistakes. 

28 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

I agree. Have the Nationals accept the original intent of their birth tether and let's get on with it. 

35 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Go Orioles.

We get it. You hate the Orioles ownership and Front Office.

Go Os!

41 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

Go Orioles.

People were spiking the football on Bundy until he got to be ok. It's the nature of sport adulation. Enjoy the praise and the money while it is there. As it shall truly depart. 

I think there’s a difference between critiquing a player’s abilities (which includes the ability to stay healthy) and a “personal attack” on a player.   To me, a personal attack means attacking the player’s character, work ethic, hustle, etc.    Whereas saying a guy has lost bat speed or can’t hit a curve ball is something else entirely.     

I get what you're saying I really do, but all of these guys signed up to be part of an entertainment business.  They are there as public spectacle.  No one should feel bad about criticizing their baseball related issues in any way.  It's why they are getting paid more money than I will ever see in my lifetime.  The same way E! will harshly judge what actors/actresses wear.  It's all a part of the spectacle.

That said we should focus on what is relevant to baseball and more specifically the Orioles.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think there’s a difference between critiquing a player’s abilities (which includes the ability to stay healthy) and a “personal attack” on a player.   To me, a personal attack means attacking the player’s character, work ethic, hustle, etc.    Whereas saying a guy has lost bat speed or can’t hit a curve ball is something else entirely.     

I think it is hard to know about a player's effort. His attitude. His dedication to his craft. Usually what we can see forms our view. 

Just now, gmelson26 said:

I get what you're saying I really do, but all of these guys signed up to be part of an entertainment business.  They are there as public spectacle.  No one should feel bad about criticizing their baseball related issues in any way.  It's why they are getting paid more money than I will ever see in my lifetime.  The same way E! will harshly judge what actors/actresses wear.  It's all a part of the spectacle.

That said we should focus on what is relevant to baseball and more specifically the Orioles.

Scott Boras has a book about each of his clients.  While they are marketing themselves.  

If you convinced a prospective employer that you had the skills and dedication to do a job and then you could/would not to a satisfactory end,   it would be their fault for falling for your ruse.

But I suspect the work environment would never be pleasant for you. 

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

We can still drop subtle digs at other posters right?

Your wheelhouse:)

btw: As I said...Mulings 2 for 24 at Norfolk. Huge fan but as I said...he needs time at AAA. 

Being a sports fan works both ways. You can praise players and your team when they do great. You can critique players who stink. But when you are in fact the worst team in baseball, and you have the worst multi million dollar contract fiasco in history, the critiques can be brutal. 

Archived