Player moves on Monday

wildcard

I don't post often and never comment on players I haven't personally seen. Due to the business side{ money}, I am pretty confident management would like to have a semi-competitive team while continuing to re-load. This would be logical, right? Keep some fans in the stands through the dog days of summer.

From a Coaching perspective, I think the players personally like the coaching staff. But message is not materializing in success team wide. Maybe familiarity brings complacency?  And I would start there today. Up would come Butch Davis. Gone would be the guy that seemed to be Davis' personal caddie, Coolbaugh. No matter how I feel about Davis. Deserved or not, you never throw a player under the bus publicly.  McDowell has seemed to hit his stride. Up until last night the starters were starting to look really respectable. Bullpen would look better when giving up a run if they ever came in up 3-4 with a runner on.  I don't think I would replace Showalter today. They should find a position{not GM} to gracefully let him remain with the organization at the end of the season. He is a lifer and a wonderful ambassador of the game so to speak. 

Organizational wise, Duquette, Rajsich and Graham appear to be doing a fine job reloading the Minors teams. They also have made some good hires of younger pitching and hitting Coaches on the farm. Do you blow this up now? I would not. Can they make Dan team president and bring in upcoming GM from somewhere? Who replaced the analytics guy that moved on this year?  

Player wise. They are so stuck with guys that have regressed after re-signing. Although Trumbo might be working his way back to himself a bit therefore maybe tradeable. And the whole Machado situation is not helping. Stay or go? Sounds more like when Bob's big boy got rid of Big Boy. I know some guys mature later in life but this guy should have picked up the team leader role from Jones by now. But he still doesn't run anything out and with RISP seems to have gone away from going with pitches to trying to smash everything. Trade him for all you can get. Schoop was a career 260 hitter in the minors. What makes us think last year was an aberration and not signs that he is a good MLB hitter? Might be willing to trade him too. Cobb or Cashner should be tradeable soon. I would keep 1 for next season. Trade relievers like Givens, Blieir and Brach. They have guys in the minors who are on pace to replace them. Buy low, sell high.  However they got boxed into this Peterson UINF situation it's not good. Cut bait now hope 1 of the infielders from the minors can at least bat 200. I believe Beckham is the utility guy in the future. Alvarez is another. I  would rather Santander or Bruggman at this point. If they must have a lefthanded bat. Find out what they have. They are doing this now at catcher position.  

Sorry about the long post. But for today,  Promote B. Davis and release Coolbaugh. Find a way to remove Tillman from the 40. DFA Alvarez and Peterson. Phycological 60 day leave for Davis, LOL. Anoint Valencia everyday 3b, ugh but he has been serviceable. Promote Dosch and Tejada since he has at least hit 240. Heck let Dosch DH some. If he hits give him some 3b time. Give Brugman a shot since he has at least managed a 260 with the A's last year. Mountcastle to AAA, I think he can at least be a future DH sooner then later. Akin to AAA now. I would like to see him and Ramirez make a spot start at the end of the year. Then burn some sage in the clubhouse and around the bat rack. And if you know the old Mark Grace story? They need a team wide slump buster. Or get arrested as team during a barfight on a road trip. I don't know, I am just an old Coach looking for a spark maybe.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, whjoe said:

I don't post often and never comment on players I haven't personally seen. Due to the business side{ money}, I am pretty confident management would like to have a semi-competitive team while continuing to re-load. This would be logical, right? Keep some fans in the stands through the dog days of summer.

From a Coaching perspective, I think the players personally like the coaching staff. But message is not materializing in success team wide. Maybe familiarity brings complacency?  And I would start there today. Up would come Butch Davis. Gone would be the guy that seemed to be Davis' personal caddie, Coolbaugh. No matter how I feel about Davis. Deserved or not, you never throw a player under the bus publicly.  McDowell has seemed to hit his stride. Up until last night the starters were starting to look really respectable. Bullpen would look better when giving up a run if they ever came in up 3-4 with a runner on.  I don't think I would replace Showalter today. They should find a position{not GM} to gracefully let him remain with the organization at the end of the season. He is a lifer and a wonderful ambassador of the game so to speak. 

Organizational wise, Duquette, Rajsich and Graham appear to be doing a fine job reloading the Minors teams. They also have made some good hires of younger pitching and hitting Coaches on the farm. Do you blow this up now? I would not. Can they make Dan team president and bring in upcoming GM from somewhere? Who replaced the analytics guy that moved on this year?  

Player wise. They are so stuck with guys that have regressed after re-signing. Although Trumbo might be working his way back to himself a bit therefore maybe tradeable. And the whole Machado situation is not helping. Stay or go? Sounds more like when Bob's big boy got rid of Big Boy. I know some guys mature later in life but this guy should have picked up the team leader role from Jones by now. But he still doesn't run anything out and with RISP seems to have gone away from going with pitches to trying to smash everything. Trade him for all you can get. Schoop was a career 260 hitter in the minors. What makes us think last year was an aberration and not signs that he is a good MLB hitter? Might be willing to trade him too. Cobb or Cashner should be tradeable soon. I would keep 1 for next season. Trade relievers like Givens, Blieir and Brach. They have guys in the minors who are on pace to replace them. Buy low, sell high.  However they got boxed into this Peterson UINF situation it's not good. Cut bait now hope 1 of the infielders from the minors can at least bat 200. I believe Beckham is the utility guy in the future. Alvarez is another. I  would rather Santander or Bruggman at this point. If they must have a lefthanded bat. Find out what they have. They are doing this now at catcher position.  

Sorry about the long post. But for today,  Promote B. Davis and release Coolbaugh. Find a way to remove Tillman from the 40. DFA Alvarez and Peterson. Phycological 60 day leave for Davis, LOL. Anoint Valencia everyday 3b, ugh but he has been serviceable. Promote Dosch and Tejada since he has at least hit 240. Heck let Dosch DH some. If he hits give him some 3b time. Give Brugman a shot since he has at least managed a 260 with the A's last year. Mountcastle to AAA, I think he can at least be a future DH sooner then later. Akin to AAA now. I would like to see him and Ramirez make a spot start at the end of the year. Then burn some sage in the clubhouse and around the bat rack. And if you know the old Mark Grace story? They need a team wide slump buster. Or get arrested as team during a barfight on a road trip. I don't know, I am just an old Coach looking for a spark maybe.

As hard as I’ve been on Buck, I pretty much agree with letting him ride out this season out of respect to his contribution to baseball, then find a role for him that’s not GM. And overall, some pretty reasonable suggestions here. If Davis is showing the same struggles next spring, it’s time to release him and eat the contract and hope that revenue from better attendance numbers in his absence (discussed in another thread) offsets some of the overhead that’s owed him. His unsold jerseys and merch can be crushed into a wad to make a reef in the harbor for fish breeding . Tax write-off ;) 

8 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

As hard as I’ve been on Buck, I pretty much agree with letting him ride out this season out of respect to his contribution to baseball, then find a role for him that’s not GM. And overall, some pretty reasonable suggestions here. If Davis is showing the same struggles next spring, it’s time to release him and eat the contract and hope that revenue from better attendance numbers in his absence (discussed in another thread) offsets some of the overhead that’s owed him. His unsold jerseys and merch can be crushed into a wad to make a reef in the harbor for fish breeding . Tax write-off ;) 

Buck makes about 3.5m/yr as a manager.   If he comes back as a manager he probably earns 5m/yr.   I doubt he takes an advisor position paying less than 1m/yr.   He can do better than that elsewhere.  

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

Buck makes about 3.5m/yr as a manager.   If he comes back as a manager he probably earns 5m/yr.   I doubt he takes an advisor position paying less than 1m/yr.   He can do better than that elsewhere.  

The lure of the 1M advisor position is you don't actually have to do very much.

Just now, wildcard said:

You really think Buck is ready to take that cut in pay and cut in control.  I don't.

Haven't I already said, multiple times, that I think Buck is going to go back to TV?

My point was the "advisor" position is a job you can take after you retire and it won't interfere with your golf or vacations.

16 minutes ago, wildcard said:

And we’ll wish him the best on the way out the door. And have a good relationship with him as he returns for O’s Old Timer Day (or whatever - when they unveil the Wild Card banners) or the O’s HOF. 

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Because it would be a figurehead position with no power.

Buck will be our slogan advisor. He has a track record:

I like our guys. 

I like the win rule. 

Want-to

Nugget. 

We dont’ live in this world. (I’d personally love that one for 2019. “Meet your 2019 Orioles. We dont’ live in that world!”

8 minutes ago, whjoe said:

I still would love to read what others would do that is reasonable today. Because the only movement seems to be Machado illness.

If it was me, I would try to trade or cut Valencia, Gentry, and Alvarez and then call up Drew Dosch, Renato Nunez, and Mike Yastrzemski. I like Valencia but he's 33 and has no role on a rebuilding teams same with Gentry. Alvarez is redundant on the roster

Dosch, Nunez, and Yaz aren't great prospects but the team needs to get younger and they can hold down the fort until players are traded and real prospects are called up. And who knows maybe we find a diamond in the rough. 

18 hours ago, Lucky_13 said:

If it was me, I would try to trade or cut Valencia, Gentry, and Alvarez and then call up Drew Dosch, Renato Nunez, and Mike Yastrzemski. I like Valencia but he's 33 and has no role on a rebuilding teams same with Gentry. Alvarez is redundant on the roster

Dosch, Nunez, and Yaz aren't great prospects but the team needs to get younger and they can hold down the fort until players are traded and real prospects are called up. And who knows maybe we find a diamond in the rough. 

Valencia you could trade for a low level prospect at the trade deadline and hope you hit the lottery.  

Archived