Eduardo Encina: Pedro Araujo’s Spot in Jeopardy?

Rene88

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, El_Duderino said:

Meh...who cares? The Orioles obsessing over the bottom guys on the roster is the most Orioles thing about this year. 

Its the fans who are obsessing, since the team sucks so bad, hard to talk about on the field accomplishments.

42 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yeah, for 16 days it doesn't make much sense. If they do make a move, they will put him on the DL, eventually send him on minor league rehab, then bring him back in September or before if the need arises.

That makes sense.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why do you think "like" has to do with anything?

I don't like or dislike him.  He's a replacement level player.

Isn't that kind of what you expect from the utility infielder (and sometimes utility outfielder)? Finding a utility infielder who can defend and have some positive WAR doesn't really seem that easy...definitely not for the Orioles. 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Yeah, for 16 days it doesn't make much sense. If they do make a move, they will put him on the DL, eventually send him on minor league rehab, then bring him back in September or before if the need arises.

This seems like the DD way forward.

2 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

Isn't that kind of what you expect from the utility infielder (and sometimes utility outfielder)? Finding a utility infielder who can defend and have some positive WAR doesn't really seem that easy...definitely not for the Orioles. 

Positive WAR can come from defense.

Replacement level is fine for #23 on the roster.  What I don't get is the exaggeration of abilities when it comes to him.  "He's a plus glove in multiple positions"  "He hits well if he get consistent at bats"  Stuff like that.  He's a guy and he's useful enough if he isn't making much money.

5 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

I doubt Cal in his prime would have a good WAR, when sitting on the bench so much.

The WAR is geared toward production, which can not occur while sitting.

1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

I doubt Cal in his prime would have a good WAR, when sitting on the bench so much.

The WAR is geared toward production, which can not occur while sitting.

See what I mean?

Flaherty has actually played a fair bit for a utility infielder.  But you wouldn't know that if you just listened to posters here.

Almost all of his career WAR came with the glove in back to back seasons.

6 hours ago, Aglets said:

Roch talks about this topic as well:

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/06/how-will-orioles-fit-britton-in-their-bullpen-and-on-the-roster.html

Now you might say that Mike Wright is the easy target.   But you have to remember that Brady really likes him and he's out of options.   So.......... do we play with a short bench?

If you think that Araujo is not going to develop into anything (like we've done with the other Rule 5 people and perhaps we should've done with even more Rule 5 people earlier) that I'm not going to be that upset if we send him back.

6 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I would key Brady's car if it meant getting Mike Wright off the roster.  He's entered DeJean/Kline territory for me, it's official.

Wright has pitched much better his last couple of opportunities and he may be better served in a middle relief role. 

The Orioles pigeonholed him into a starter role because of their notoriously bad rotation. 

But I do agree Araujo has more upside and would benefit from more MiL experience.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why do you think "like" has to do with anything?

I don't like or dislike him.  He's a replacement level player.

So is Alvarez at this point and as of now he’s not hitting, which is his only role. But he is a LHB and breathing. 

And I’m someone who advocated for him to be on the roster. Rasmus should return soon enough to cover the breathing LHB.

You’re a Flaherty hater, admit it!

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Positive WAR can come from defense.

Replacement level is fine for #23 on the roster.  What I don't get is the exaggeration of abilities when it comes to him.  "He's a plus glove in multiple positions"  "He hits well if he get consistent at bats"  Stuff like that.  He's a guy and he's useful enough if he isn't making much money.

I agree. Flaherty had several really fun moments for the Orioles, most of which involved hitting a few home runs in spurts. Mix with rooting for the underdog and I think that's what generates this phenomenon. But definitely replacement level is good for someone who can play adequate to pretty good defense at multiple positions for the bench.

Archived