Yefry Ramirez 2018

SteveA

Well, we wanted to see some young blood and it looks like he'll be starting vs Sale tomorrow.

Can our minor league experts tell us something about him?   I see a 1.24 WHIP and almost a strikeout an inning at AA at age 23 last year, and a 1.21 WHIP and over a strikeout an inning at age 24 at AAA this year.

That impresses me.   Yet he doesn't usually get mentioned in the same breath as some of our other pitching prospects.   Is he not as good as those numbers would suggest?

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Tell me how they call up Ramirez and Hart to replace Cashner who is going on the DL.   A two for one deal?

I don't know.   Just heard that Yefry could start in Cashner's place.   (See the Rumors and News on the right side).   It made no mention of Hart.

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Tell me how they call up Ramirez and Hart to replace Cashner who is going on the DL.   A two for one deal?

Considering that there are about 9 guys on the 25 man roster no one would miss if they were cut, I figure they'll be able to find room for Ramirez on the roster.

24 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Well, we wanted to see some young blood and it looks like he'll be starting vs Sale tomorrow.

Can our minor league experts tell us something about him?   I see a 1.24 WHIP and almost a strikeout an inning at AA at age 23 last year, and a 1.21 WHIP and over a strikeout an inning at age 24 at AAA this year.

That impresses me.   Yet he doesn't usually get mentioned in the same breath as some of our other pitching prospects.   Is he not as good as those numbers would suggest?

This is what I wrote about him in my top 50 Orioles prospect list this offseason.

"Converted infielder with a long but easy arm action.  Stays closed but falls off hard to the 1B side with a cross-body finish. This limits command and consistency, but appears to add enough deception to allow his flat, low 90s fastball to play.  Feel for slider and changeup come and go, can be above average at times, fringe average at others.  Good competitor on the mound, good feel for pitching, manages to keep the ball off the barrel. He’s an extreme FB pitcher though, home runs could be an issue.  Middle relief profile, could be a #5 starter if the command takes a big step."

37 minutes ago, wildcard said:

My guess is Hart is activated for tonight’s game and Ramirez is on the taxi squad.  If they use the bullpen heavy tonight, Hart goes back down and Ramirez is promoted tomorrow.  If not,  then it’s possible Hart stays and Castro gets the start.

11 minutes ago, bandy75 said:

My guess is Hart is activated for tonight’s game and Ramirez is on the taxi squad.  If they use the bullpen heavy tonight, Hart goes back down and Ramirez is promoted tomorrow.  If not,  then it’s possible Hart stays and Castro gets the start.

Good explanation.   Could even be right.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-yefry-ramirez-debut-20180613-story.html

I'm excited to see how Yefry does today and in the future for us. Not sure why, but I have some hope for him. Maybe it is just an interesting name. He's got a 4.33 ERA in Norfolk but some other stats are solid looking. 2.98 BB/9, 1.21 WHIP, 9.4 K/9, .230 avg against. I'd like to hear some more insight from our experts on how he looks if they've seen him and what his repertoire is. It would also be great to steal a prospect from the Yanks and actually get some use from our int'l money (we traded int'l money to Yankees for him last year). Go Yefry!

Need a Chris Waters game outta this guy today.

I wish there were parallel universes strictly so people could try stuff out that  they're too scared to try in the real world.

One thing would be a team that reaches the world series setting their starting rotation with AAA guys that there's no book on.  I'd like to see how long the surprise factor would last.

41 minutes ago, scbalt52 said:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-orioles-yefry-ramirez-debut-20180613-story.html

I'm excited to see how Yefry does today and in the future for us. Not sure why, but I have some hope for him. Maybe it is just an interesting name. He's got a 4.33 ERA in Norfolk but some other stats are solid looking. 2.98 BB/9, 1.21 WHIP, 9.4 K/9, .230 avg against. I'd like to hear some more insight from our experts on how he looks if they've seen him and what his repertoire is. It would also be great to steal a prospect from the Yanks and actually get some use from our int'l money (we traded int'l money to Yankees for him last year). Go Yefry!

Fastball doesn't have a ton of movement, below average secondaries and below average command of everything. Will flash average stuff at times, but not consistent. He did not make our top 30 prospects at the end of last year.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Unfortunately.  I think the odds are against him.   Like you I hope he pulls a surprise.

There's always the rookie pitcher making his debut thing.   It's real.   Teams don't have good advance scouting reports on him, they've never seen him personally.

We all remember Mike Wright's debut.   Look at Domingo German of the Yankees, 6 no hit innings in his MLB debut earlier this year, then shelled in his 2nd game.

It's a reason to watch (or in my case at work, follow along on the internet.   Both my cube mates are out for the afternoon, so I can just stay logged on to the one outside internet terminal we share in our cube and slide my chair over here from my desk whenever the mood arises).

Archived