Moves for Friday

wildcard

3 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I'm ok with being optimistic about it, but I wouldn't get too excited, the peripherals are very blah and like I've said many times, he doesn't have a starter's delivery, command, or arsenal.  

He has been better lately, but if he does by some small miracle turn into an ok starter, trade him immediately. His delivery is about as high effort as they get and I would be concerned about durability under a starter's workload.

agreed.  I think he has some value as a reliever as his fastball has always had some interesting run to it, and if we go the "fire sale" route, I could see him being a piece in the bullpen for the next couple of seasons.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, joelala said:

Agreed that there won't be any shakeup, but there absolutely should be.  A new GM should be brought in tomorrow and given full autonomy to execute trades of all expiring assets and any other assets that could net us any sort of substantial value (namely, Bundy and Gausman.)  If we trade away everyone with value we'll still keep losing.  I'm pretty sure about that.

I disagree. You expect Angelos to fire DD and Buck before their contracts are up? I just think it's best to do the house cleaning in October. Top to bottom. 

Just now, Tx Oriole said:

I disagree. You expect Angelos to fire DD and Buck before their contracts are up? I just think it's best to do the house cleaning in October. Top to bottom. 

I'm fine with that as long as it actually happens. I'd try to keep Rajsich around if possible though, I think he's done pretty well all things considered.

Off day today. Perfect time to make some changes.

This team looks like they are in a daze. To say some new blood would be helpful is an understatement. I know they don’t want to rush the kids and I agree with that but they have to do something. 

22 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I'm fine with that as long as it actually happens. I'd try to keep Rajsich around if possible though, I think he's done pretty well all things considered.

To me trying to keep him should already have started. These guys aren’t going to wait around if someone else wants them. Another reason this mess of a FO needs to be cleared up. 

Maybe behind the scenes the Orioles have already taken care of things that haven’t become public knowledge yet. From the outside it is one big mess.  

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Off day today. Perfect time to make some changes.

This team looks like they are in a daze. To say some new blood would be helpful is an understatement. I know they don’t want to rush the kids and I agree with that but they have to do something. 

Hopefully the Bleier injury really hammers home how fickle trade value can be, how all it takes is one moment for Manny to be no longer a prime trade chip. I mean Britton's injury should have taught them that.

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

I'm ok with being optimistic about it, but I wouldn't get too excited, the peripherals are very blah and like I've said many times, he doesn't have a starter's delivery, command, or arsenal.  

He has been better lately, but if he does by some small miracle turn into an ok starter, trade him immediately. His delivery is about as high effort as they get and I would be concerned about durability under a starter's workload.

Yacabonis is probably not a starter in the majors.  They have probably made him into a long reliever by extending his innings at AAA.  Cashner is suppose to make his next start so the O's don't need another starter right now.   Akin is coming fast when needed in the rotation.

Hopefully the Bleier injury really hammers home how fickle trade value can be, how all it takes is one moment for Manny to be no longer a prime trade chip. I mean Britton's injury should have taught them that.

It might if they had serious intentions of trading him.  I think they are at best 60/40 right now. 

2 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

I definitely don't expect it, but it's what should happen. 

1 minute ago, joelala said:

It might if they had serious intentions of trading him.  I think they are at best 60/40 right now. 

I can almost guarantee the baseball people are 99/1 or more. Angelos is the only question.

This is what continues to baffle me.  Yes, if there are people you want to keep naming a GM sooner gives them a chance to keep people.  And of course Bleir drives home the point once again that we continue to destroy assets here that could have been turned into something valuable.

Keeping Buck is insane.  Keeping DD is insane.  It's not part of the problem, it IS the problem.

If DD pisses you off fire him, or lock him in the warehouse and tell him he can leave when his contract is up.  But making it harder to do his job isn't punishing him, it's killing the O's.  Giving Buck and or Brady more control and then keeping them because they are under contract is beyond stupid.

"let it ride till October"  WHAT?

If your house were on fire would you let it burn or would you do something about it?  Doing nothing is making the situation worse.  Use whatever analogy makes you more comfortable, but the Orioles house is ablaze, the ship is adrift, the foundation is riddled with termites, the roof has been blown off, the bushel is full of rotten apples.  

Doing nothing is dereliction of duty.   By the same token, small meaningless measures are simply distraction and will not change anything.  Rearranging chairs on the deck of the Titanic so to speak.

Moves for Friday?  Whatever, I don't mean to complain about threads, so I apologize.  I still look at all of these too...but I am asking everyday to what end?  Why?

Are we developing folks?  Is there a purpose?  If there is I'd honestly like to see it cause I don't and I want to.  But what I see is deck chairs on a sinking ship, termites on a house getting painted and new furniture brought into a house fully ablaze.  I'm not advocating the idea of "DONT JUST DO SOMETHING...STAND THERE" either.  

My two cents...

We can begin the healing today....this is what it takes.

Name a GM

Give him or her a budget and let them do their job.

3 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

I can almost guarantee the baseball people are 99/1 or more. Angelos is the only question.

Oh I don't disagree with you at all.  And that is a huge question.  My gut is that Angelos is willing to trade him, but has an extremely unrealistic idea of what he will return.  And this is why I think he ultimately won't be traded.

19 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

That's the problem.  Ownership won't give any GM full autonomy.  The only person I can think of that might be granted autonomy is Brady.  

The reason you feel that way is Brady would never REQUIRE autonomy. 

19 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

That's the problem.  Ownership won't give any GM full autonomy.  The only person I can think of that might be granted autonomy is Brady.  

Brady's autonomy would include doing whatever the Angeloses want him to do -- and not doing what the Angeloses don't want him to do. He's a loyal guy.

Archived