Ryan Mountcastle 2018

hoosiers

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Great comeback for Baysox tonight. Down 4 in 9th they score 6. Mountcastle 2 rbi double with two outs after it was tied. He was 2-5. This kid seems like he does something every night. 

2-run double.  Please down start spreading Gary Thorne's habit of calling things a "3-RBI homerun". :)

FWIW, he got a great placement on BP's new midseason Top 50 - they had him #26 - just behind the Dodgers Keibert Ruiz and just ahead of the Indians Triston McKenzie, for comparison to a couple wish list type names among suitors for our rentals.

I keep hearing pathetic arm stuff though - the latest anecdote was a routine grounder and an average runner who was just plain safe.

I see him and Mancini as 1B/DH limited, though a Mountcastle LF try might still be a thing.

I could probably live with Trumbo back in RF for awhile to help him hit and prime him for offseason trade market.

On 7/9/2018 at 4:18 PM, Luke-OH said:

No, I've mentioned this before, but the Orioles always knew that he wasn't going to be a SS moving forward. Some wanted him to stay there as long as possible, the publicly given reason was that it'd help him learn the game better and develop better. That doesn't make much sense to me, but I'm not a baseball coach, so whatever.

Then they decided it was time to move him. There was a big discussion/debate, many people were in favor of 2B (since he couldn't throw), but 3B won out in large part because that wouldn't involve also moving Schoop when Manny walked and that maybe it'd be quicker transitioned to 3B because the angle off the bat. I learned this from someone who was a part of those discussions.

If you watch Mountcastle, you'll see he's not a 1B/DH, he's not a lump on the field, he's an athletic guy who should at least be a COF. 

Do you think the O's think he'll get too heavy to have the range to play 2nd base at a ML level?  

My thinking is that right after the season ends, they need to have an organizational meeting to determine what they're doing with Schoop and Mountcastle - assuming they haven't already had the discussion - and I'm guessing they haven't, because they don't seem to think long-term.  And that lack of long-term thinking might have been a problem all along with deciding what to do with Machado.  One of the reasons they've insisted on getting pitching for Manny is they really don't know what to do with what they have as far as infielders.    

53 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Do you think the O's think he'll get too heavy to have the range to play 2nd base at a ML level?  

My thinking is that right after the season ends, they need to have an organizational meeting to determine what they're doing with Schoop and Mountcastle - assuming they haven't already had the discussion - and I'm guessing they haven't, because they don't seem to think long-term.  And that lack of long-term thinking might have been a problem all along with deciding what to do with Machado.  One of the reasons they've insisted on getting pitching for Manny is they really don't know what to do with what they have as far as infielders.    

Who’s the “they” who are going to meet right after the season?    We don’t even know who the GM and Manager will be once this season ends.

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Who’s the “they” who are going to meet right after the season?    We don’t even know who the GM and Manager will be once this season ends.

Yeah, those are good examples of the lack of long-term planning.  But even if the they is just Brady and the Angelos family running the organization <shudders... pukes... then shudders again> they need to make plans like those for next season and beyond.  

Or does Mountcastle figure in as the O's LFer of the future?  In that case, our OF by 2020 would include 3 of Mountcastle, Mullens, Hayes, and McKenna - not to mention DJ Stewart.  And God knows what our infield will be.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Even with a GM and Manager, I would expect the scouts and coaches in the minors to be the ones to make recommendations regarding the positions RM is capable or should be playing - though admittedly I do not know how that works.

I still think they do everything to make him atleast feasible at third.  That may have lot to do with the SS position but I think with Cody at short he can make up some for that.  I know the bunts and slower grounders maybe tough but with all the shifts and stuff now and no bunting a big arm not as big as it was in the past.

12 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Best pure bat we've had in the system since Machado.  

Manny wasn't that great in the minors, only .269/.790. Mancini's .980 in Bowie was more impressive from a pure hitting standpoint. Mountcastle definitely passes the eye test.

18 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Manny wasn't that great in the minors, only .269/.790. Mancini's .980 in Bowie was more impressive from a pure hitting standpoint. Mountcastle definitely passes the eye test.

Manny was playing like 3-4 years over his age level.   He played AA at 18, Mancini played it at 23.

I love mountcastle's bat but I don't see where they are going to play him.  I have seen about 10 games of mountcastle at 3rd and his arm just isn't playing there.  Batters beat out 2 hoppers, throws pulling 1st baseman off base, ball travels slowly across the infield.  I'm sure they are working with him, but you can't teach arm strength.  

Archived