The Athletic: Buck Showalter's Job No Longer Secure

Rene88

Just now, atomic said:

Make him assistant to the trainer.  And take his locker out of the locker room.  Or he could join Davis as bullpen catcher.  

I don't think there's any turning back with Brady. He's been given too much power, attention, and freedom for too long to assume a lesser role. We need to cut the cord. 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure how much I truly buy it, never even heard of the source, but I'm past the point where any past good will would save Buck.  Appreciate all he's done, because it's a lot, but a fresh start is beyond needed.  That said, I'm not behind bringing anyone from the outside unless you've decided Duquette will be the GM or you've got the replacement.  At least when Buck was brought on Andy MacPhail had another year on his contract so it made a little more sense.  But, bringing in an outside manager when you don't have your GM for next year, that'd be a very Orioles thing to do.  If you're going to fire him, just make Russell or Dickerson the skipper for the rest of the season, roll with it and hope for the best, and figure out your long term strategy.

The Score story is simply linking to Ken Rosenthal's latest.  I didn't find Ken's article worthy of a new topic otherwise I might've posted about it.  Frankly it's Captain Obvious and breaks no new ground.  For example:

The team’s chain of command remains unclear as owner Peter Angelos’ sons, John and Lou, and vice-president of baseball operations Brady Anderson assume greater control. But Showalter — who, like Duquette, is in the final year of his contract — is not secure, according to sources with knowledge of the situation.

Showalter and Duquette probably are not in immediate trouble — the elder Angelos historically does not like to dismiss employees before their contracts expire. 

Some in the industry believe Showalter, 62, would prefer to move into a front-office role, but would a new head of baseball operations even want to retain him? And how would a new head of baseball operations gain autonomy if the Angelos’ sons and Anderson continue to exert influence?

Whatever.  Carry on.

4 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I don't think there's any turning back with Brady. He's been given too much power, attention, and freedom for too long to assume a lesser role. We need to cut the cord. 

Or name him GM, let him fail, and replace him in four years.

Which one do you think ownership is going to pick?

Good. He hasn't been good for awhile, maybe he never was... I used to give him credit for outpacing the teams expected win % but maybe that was mostly luck + lockdown Bullpen & Defense (defense started cratering when he was the last person on the planet to realize DY wasn't a ML OF'er). I also think we are at the point, like GM's, we don't need a former player to be manager anymore. Give me someone who understands when to hit or stand. Like the strike zone its probably something a robot should take over lol!

Who can make the decision to fire him? John? Brady? John and Lou? John and Lou and Brady? Peter? Is he making any decisions?

The fact that a business that lives on public support (and money), on building and maintaining long-term relationships with consumers, and on its good will in the community is operating (probably not the right word, maybe "stumbling along") in such a faceless, opaque way would, for me, defy belief if I weren't watching it happen. 

Do the Angeloses not comprehend that they are tearing down the franchise's value by doing and saying nothing, or do they just not care?

15 minutes ago, MMussina35 said:

Good. He hasn't been good for awhile, maybe he never was... I used to give him credit for outpacing the teams expected win % but maybe that was mostly luck + lockdown Bullpen & Defense (defense started cratering when he was the last person on the planet to realize DY wasn't a ML OF'er). I also think we are at the point, like GM's, we don't need a former player to be manager anymore. Give me someone who understands when to hit or stand. Like the strike zone its probably something a robot should take over lol!

It wasn’t luck. He was a good manager for a while. Not anymore. 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't see the point in changing who is at the helm when his contract is up after this season anyway.

Unless of course they think they can get whomever it is they want to marshal the team through the rebuild.

I'd rather they just hire a GM in the offseason and have them hire the next manager.

YES! YES AND YES! THIS IS IT. THIS IS ALL I CARE ABOUT!!!!!

!!!!!

53 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Showalter really shouldn't be brought back. His stubbornness in terms of playing "his guys" and his antiquated philosophy of how to win games (i.e., chicks dig the long ball) doesn't play well in this era. We need to bring someone in who understands the importance of defense and the ability to manufacture runs. And agree with the others who said we should hire a GM first then let them pick the manager. And Brady's gotta go. 

This. I am very grateful for all Buck has done with a very difficult situation. I love Buck but it is time to move on.

It doesn't matter.

IMO, Buck's done enough goodwill for this franchise to go out when he wants this year.  I've said it a million times, firing him now and replacing him with an interim manager doesn't move the needle.

The bigger problems are upstairs.  Brady, the Angelos'.  We can banter back and forth on here all day along about the manager, nothing matters while Angelos is owner and Brady is in a power position.  

Until Peter Angelos is out and his sons prove that they're different...or his sons are gone, too....and Brady is gone....none of this matters.  Actually, I think the Manny trade return doesn't matter, the Jones trade return doesn't matter...none of it matters until the FO and ownership is completely overhauled and has a defined plan in place with a new, regime of smart baseball people.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't see the point in changing who is at the helm when his contract is up after this season anyway.

Unless of course they think they can get whomever it is they want to marshal the team through the rebuild.

I'd rather they just hire a GM in the offseason and have them hire the next manager.

Well, you are correct a GM is what is needed....but we kinda need one now...for the rebuild.  It would be a nice start

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It doesn't matter.

IMO, Buck's done enough goodwill for this franchise to go out when he wants this year.  I've said it a million times, firing him now and replacing him with an interim manager doesn't move the needle.

The bigger problems are upstairs.  Brady, the Angelos'.  We can banter back and forth on here all day along about the manager, nothing matters while Angelos is owner and Brady is in a power position.  

Until Peter Angelos is out and his sons prove that they're different...or his sons are gone, too....and Brady is gone....none of this matters.  Actually, I think the Manny trade return doesn't matter, the Jones trade return doesn't matter...none of it matters until the FO and ownership is completely overhauled and has a defined plan in place with a new, regime of smart baseball people.

Yes...Yes...Yes

Archived