A lot of player movement coming

wildcard

Player movement in the next few days: (My best guess)

Rasmus rehab end on June 20th.  The O's will be required to activate him or DFA him.   Since he is on the 60 day DL it will cost someone a 40 man roster spot to activated him

Beckham's 60 day DL stint reaches the 60 day mark on June 23rd.  He is on rehab.  Its been reported that he will be activated on the 23rd though he is not hitting well yet.   The O's don't seem to care about whether he is hitting on rehab but I always think they should.   We will have to wait and see what happens.  He will cost someone a 40 man roster spot when activated.

There are several 40 man roster spots that can be opened pretty easily

1) Bleier can be put on the 60 day DL

2) Tillman can be put on the 60 day DL.  He last played on May 10th which means he could not come back until July 9th.  He can be are rehab for 30 day and he has not started him rehab assignment yet.

3) Sardinas can be placed on the 60 day DL.  He last played in the majors on April 28th.  He is eligible to come off on June 27th.   He hasn't started his rehab games for the ankle injury yet. 

4) Pedro Alvarez can be DFA'd.  When Beckham is activated he will take over 3rd Base and push Valencia to DH/1B/bench duty.   He makes Pedro vulnerable.

Note:  Chris Lee and Vielma are on the Norfolk DL and can not be DFA'd until they comes off. The O's don't want to put them on the O's DL because they will have to be paid a major league salary.

There should be room with these moves to activate Rasmus and Beckham and to call up Stewart.

Caleb Joseph will be recalled on Tuesday since Sisco was optioned.  Sisco was optioned because he is ill and the O's need two active catchers.  If they had DL'd Sisco he would have not been eligible to come back for 10 days. But by optioning him the O's can DL someone else and bring him back earlier.   Caleb is hitting for over a 900 OPS in June at Norfolk.   Sisco has a 340 OBP and his 16 RBI are pretty good for 119 at bats.   Caleb/Sisco is probably the O's strongest hitting catcher pair as soon as Sisco is healthy and can be activated.

Cashner is due to come off the 10 day DL and pitch on June 20th.  That will bring the pitching staff back to 12 and cost a position player his 25 man roster spot.

So to recap:

June 17th/19th:  Sisco down;  Caleb up

June 20th: Cashner and Rasmus up;    My guess Mancini or Rickard optioned; Alvarez DFA'd.

June 23rd: Beckham up;   My guess Corban Joseph optioned; Bleier  put on the 60 day DL

Sometime soon:  Stewart up;   My guess Mancini or Rickard optioned; Sardinas put on the 60 day DL

That makes the outfield Stewart/Jones/ Rasmus and Gentry

The  Infield Beckham/ Manny/ Schoop/ Valencia or Davis  at 1B

Trumbo DH

Caleb/Wynns catching until they find a way to bring Sisco back.  Then Wynns will be optioned.

A lot of who is called up and sent down is my best guess.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DD was on with Melewski before the game yesterday on radio. As usual it was nothing earth shattering but he was asked about changes with the roster. He basically said that they are on the way but it may take some time. He talked about fans going to the park because it is a nice place to watch a game and all the events they are having. I think it was basically his way of saying be patient. 

It makes no sense to me to bring up Rasmus unless he is there to buy time for the kids to develop. I have said before they may not want to bring some of the kids up until the roster is gutted. They may feel it is not a positive environment for the kids.  

2 hours ago, eddie83 said:

DD was on with Melewski before the game yesterday on radio. As usual it was nothing earth shattering but he was asked about changes with the roster. He basically said that they are on the way but it may take some time. He talked about fans going to the park because it is a nice place to watch a game and all the events they are having. I think it was basically his way of saying be patient. 

It makes no sense to me to bring up Rasmus unless he is there to buy time for the kids to develop. I have said before they may not want to bring some of the kids up until the roster is gutted. They may feel it is not a positive environment for the kids.  

The only kid in the moves I talked about is Stewart.  Everyone else is a veteran.   I said Stewart coming soon.  No date.   A lot depends on whether Mancini and Rickard come out of their slumps.

Since Rasmus started to hit at Frederick I don't see the O's just handing him 3m and telling him to go home.   They will at least bring him up and see what he does IMO.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

The only kid in the moves I talked about in Stewart.  Everyone else is a veteran.   I said Stewart coming soon.  No date.   A lot depends on whether Mancini and Rickard come out of their slumps.

Since Rasmus started to hit at Frederick I don't see the O's just handing him 3m and telling him to go home.   They will at least bring him up and see what he does IMO.

I know. There is no point in calling any if these kids up unless they are playing. I don’t see them calling up Stewart for Mancini but who knows. 

This whole benching of Davis is something to follow. Is this a last ditch effort to salvage him? I just don’t want them going into 19 with both him and Trumbo on the roster. 

i think more to Sisco then just an illness.

Sisco wasn’t producing at the plate, which hardly made him unique on the roster. But he’s been having some issues throwing that more easily can be resolved in the minors.

Sisco's OBP is .340, aided in no small part by 10 hit by pitches, but as I've pointed out, his defense has been weak lately, and that's key for a catcher.

Sisco began the year by throwing out 9 of 18 basestealers, but since then 17 of 18 have been successful against him.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/06/leftovers-for-breakfast-72.html

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I know. There is no point in calling any if these kids up unless they are playing. I don’t see them calling up Stewart for Mancini but who knows. 

This whole benching of Davis is something to follow. Is this a last ditch effort to salvage him? I just don’t want them going into 19 with both him and Trumbo on the roster. 

Davis will be with the O's longer than Buck or Dan.   They may be able to swap Trumbo for another bad contract over the winter.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Davis will be with the O's longer than Buck or Dan.   They may be able to swap Trumbo for another bad contract over the winter.

The fact they are benching him mid June is pretty telling. They can’t drag this on forever.  

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Davis was warming up the pitcher between innings yesterday . I saw it once but might have missed it another time. So warming up the catchers might be a good use of deavis and his salary.

14 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

The fact they are benching him mid June is pretty telling. They can’t drag this on forever.  

Sure they can.

Ken Singleton said the other day that the league has adjusted to Davis and he has not adjusted.   

When Jimenez was have so much trouble the O's brought in a different coach to work with him - Martinez.    I think its about time for a different voice.   Coolbaugh and Buck are not getting through to him.  He has to adjust.

10 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

i think more to Sisco then just an illness.

Sisco wasn’t producing at the plate, which hardly made him unique on the roster. But he’s been having some issues throwing that more easily can be resolved in the minors.

Sisco's OBP is .340, aided in no small part by 10 hit by pitches, but as I've pointed out, his defense has been weak lately, and that's key for a catcher.

Sisco began the year by throwing out 9 of 18 basestealers, but since then 17 of 18 have been successful against him.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/06/leftovers-for-breakfast-72.html

Sisco is hitting .294 in his last 7 games and that has nothing to do with HBP.   I can't comment on his defense.

11 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Sure they can.

Ken Singleton said the other day that the league has adjusted to Davis and he has not adjusted.   

When Jimenez was have so much trouble the O's brought in a different coach to work with him - Martinez.    I think its about time for a different voice.   Coolbaugh and Buck are not getting through to him.  He has to adjust.

From what we know Davis made no adjustments this past offseason. Trying to fix something mid year is a failure on Chris not the coaches. Coolbaugh easily could have massaged Palmer’s comments but instead he doubled down. He basically told everyone Chris made no significant effort to do anything different in the past offseason. 

I am surprised on some levels Coolbaugh is still here. Usually someone is a scapegoat.  

His entire game is decreasing. His speed and play defensively. He isn’t the same athlete he was a couple of years ago.  

27 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Sure they can.

Brady is working with him as well.  Maybe Brady can become our hitting coach/GM. 

53 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

If they were anywhere remotely close to winning this year, he would still be out there every day.  Buck needed it to get to this disaster point before he was willing to bench a veteran. 

Archived