A lot of player movement coming

wildcard

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Joey thinks that throwing like Caleb is a severe defensive question.

Yet he's noticably silent when Caleb throws like Caleb.

Listen, I have no issue with certain minor league heros becoming beloved "family friends." I always root for the guys I know or those who have been nice to me. I couldn't care less about the musicianship or the community outreach of prospects. Field. Hit. Pitch.  And do it while you are young. It is a rare club and it is tough to stay there too. 

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, weams said:

Sisco is going to be a stud. 

He very well may end up one, in the future. But he doesn't have the tools right now. Tony made a great post explaining his bat issues right now and his recent throwing issues.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Joey thinks that throwing like Caleb is a severe defensive question.

Yet he's noticably silent when Caleb throws like Caleb.

Point me to the threads touting Joseph as the "next big thing" for the Orioles. I don't say anything about Joseph because no one is expecting much from him. On a different team, he wouldn't be here. Hell, he wasn't here for a month and was replaced by 2 rookies.

I also guess since I speak up about Mountcastles defensive issues, I need to call out Valencia on his too?

Weams, the issue I find with Sisco has nothing to do with any outside friendship with Wynns. Before I knew him or came to this site, I followed Sisco since Frederick. His defense never once impressed me and his hitting seemed boosted by sitting fastball and hitting it, when that is what 90% of minor league pitchers will throw. When he made it to Norfolk last season, he was exposed to a lot of lefties and a lot of breaking balls, where his average dropped. He went on a decent run late in the season to pull it back up, but that's about it.

1 minute ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

He very well may end up one, in the future. But he doesn't have the tools right now. Tony made a great post explaining his bat issues right now and his recent throwing issues.

Point me to the threads touting Joseph as the "next big thing" for the Orioles. I don't say anything about Joseph because no one is expecting much from him. On a different team, he wouldn't be here. Hell, he wasn't here for a month and was replaced by 2 rookies.

I also guess since I speak up about Mountcastles defensive issues, I need to call out Valencia on his too?

Weams, the issue I find with Sisco has nothing to do with any outside friendship with Wynns. Before I knew him or came to this site, I followed Sisco since Frederick. His defense never once impressed me and his hitting seemed boosted by sitting fastball and hitting it, when that is what 90% of minor league pitchers will throw. When he made it to Norfolk last season, he was exposed to a lot of lefties and a lot of breaking balls, where his average dropped. He went on a decent run late in the season to pull it back up, but that's about it.

Nothing?

I bring up Joseph because some folks think that Sisco's throwing is a deal breaker when the O's have had some really poor throwing catchers in the past and it didn't impact the team all that much.  No one worried about Caleb throwing out 18% last year and yet folks were all worked up over Sisco's throwing.  It isn't rational.

4 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I like Wynns. And I was not referring to you. I fall into that trap myself. Sisco is going to be fine. No matter what folks are saying now. The only issue with him was could he catch and he can. His future is not far away. 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Nothing?

I bring up Joseph because some folks think that Sisco's throwing is a deal breaker when the O's have had some really poor throwing catchers in the past and it didn't impact the team all that much.  No one worried about Caleb throwing out 18% last year and yet folks were all worked up over Sisco's throwing.  It isn't rational.

Joseph was also the back up. What was Castillos caught stealing rate? When Wieters was here, he was over 30% every year except his first one and the injury year. 

I also harped about Siscos blocking, which I also stated earlier this season had gotten a whole lot better and eas impressive. I also said how pitchers in the minors seemed to throw the ball less in dirt with him than they did with other catchers, forcing them to elevate the ball in the strike zone.

I'm sorry I never really commented on any major league stuff while I was mainly watching the minors.

10 minutes ago, weams said:

I like Wynns. And I was not referring to you. I fall into that trap myself. Sisco is going to be fine. No matter what folks are saying now. The only issue with him was could he catch and he can. His future is not far away. 

*Thank you browser for timing out during my original reply...*

It happens. But Sisco did not light it up in AAA last season and massively struggled against lefties and breaking balls, something that continued in Baltimore. He will be a fine hitter if he can adjust. He just needs to show he can.

As far as defense, if he can get back to what he was doing the first few months, he will be fine.

5 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Joseph was also the back up. What was Castillos caught stealing rate? When Wieters was here, he was over 30% every year except his first one and the injury year. 

I also harped about Siscos blocking, which I also stated earlier this season had gotten a whole lot better and eas impressive. I also said how pitchers in the minors seemed to throw the ball less in dirt with him than they did with other catchers, forcing them to elevate the ball in the strike zone.

I'm sorry I never really commented on any major league stuff while I was mainly watching the minors.

So the past only means since Buck?  Ramon Hernandez had a season at 20% and a season at 23% as an O, before that Javy Lopez was at 25% and 18% 

I can keep going back.

2 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

*Thank you browser for timing out during my original reply...*

It happens. But Sisco did not light it up in AAA last season and massively struggled against lefties and breaking balls, something that continued in Baltimore. He will be a fine hitter if he can adjust. He just needs to show he can.

As far as defense, if he can get back to what he was doing the first few months, he will be fine.

He had 13 PA against LHP, how can you say he massively struggled against them?  (BTW he had an .885 OPS against LHP)

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So the past only means since Buck?  Ramon Hernandez had a season at 20% and a season at 23% as an O, before that Javy Lopez was at 25% and 18% 

I can keep going back.

You’ll get through Geronimo Gil and Brook Fordyce, but eventually you’ll run into Fernando Lunar, and nobody was running on him. 

Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

You’ll get through Geronimo Gil and Brook Fordyce, but eventually you’ll run into Fernando Lunar, and nobody was running on him. 

Oh sure some of them could throw, Dempsey was a beast.  Hoiles on the other hand had four seasons between 20-23 percent.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Oh sure some of them could throw, Dempsey was a beast.  Hoiles on the other hand had four seasons between 20-23 percent.

He had an arthritic shoulder. Before he signed his three year extension. 

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I can keep going back.

I didn't follow the Orioles much between 98-2012 and even after that, I didn't follow them closely until the last 2 years. 

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He had 13 PA against LHP, how can you say he massively struggled against them?  (BTW he had an .885 OPS against LHP)

2 hits in 13 PA with 5 strike outs. Not great numbers. 

Archived