Olney re: trades - O's are more focused, organized, aggressive, engaged

O's are Legends

1 hour ago, ISU94 said:

Amen.

Obviously, you would THINK the earlier the better, but when there is this many teams interested that could use a pick-me-up prior to the deadline what you do is exactly what we're hopefully doing (at least Olney's report makes it promising). You field a bunch of offers and watch teams get desperate to not lose out on a player/let one of their rivals get the guy.

This is a BIG step for the franchise. It's vital we get a strong return for the future of this team. There's no need to rush when we have all the cards.

Great to have so many teams involved but they better be careful. So many teams are out of it that there will be a lot more guys than usual on the market. Some of these clubs are going to move on to other options and the Orioles could be left with a lot fewer options by 7/31. 

I haven't seen anyone post the below:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23973268/we-traded-manny-machado-every-team-here-helps-most

This is the analysis of the impact of trading MM to every team in the MLB.  Very interesting.  My take is that the teams MM improves the most because of gaping production at SS/3B and who would most need MM for to make the playoffs are the Braves and Phillies.  The Braves farm system is absolutely stacked with quality pitchers even with Newcomb and Soroka (currently injured) and Fried on the major league team.  They still have Wright, Anderson and a lot more.  The Phillies have a good system, but several key parts are not doing well.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/manny-machado-trade-market-eight-teams-talking-to-orioles-but-these-two-are-the-front-runners/

CBSSports.com has the above with eight teams most interested in MM which includes the Braves and Phillies.  The video associated with the report says the Phillies are not including Sanchez (Philly top pitching prospect) in their offers and that and LA Dodger offer of Verdugo and Alvarez was rejected as not enough.  The Brewers have a pretty decent system.  These are teams that could use MM for a playoff run.  Among playoff teams, the team that could "go for it" with expectations that MM is a big leap to compete with the Astros and NYY in the playoffs is Cleveland.

I really do not believe the DBacks have the horses to get MM.  We will see the commitment level of various teams to part with top prospects soon IMO and have to hope that one team panics and overpays though I do not believe the GMs in Philly or Atlanta are that sort.

Nice to hear our front office is organized and prepared to make deals.  My main concern would be if the FO would be too focused on getting someone who is MLB ready to help what is expected to be a very bad team next year.  We'll see.

8 hours ago, hoosiers said:

I haven't seen anyone post the below:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/23973268/we-traded-manny-machado-every-team-here-helps-most

This is the analysis of the impact of trading MM to every team in the MLB.  Very interesting.  My take is that the teams MM improves the most because of gaping production at SS/3B and who would most need MM for to make the playoffs are the Braves and Phillies.  The Braves farm system is absolutely stacked with quality pitchers even with Newcomb and Soroka (currently injured) and Fried on the major league team.  They still have Wright, Anderson and a lot more.  The Phillies have a good system, but several key parts are not doing well.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/manny-machado-trade-market-eight-teams-talking-to-orioles-but-these-two-are-the-front-runners/

CBSSports.com has the above with eight teams most interested in MM which includes the Braves and Phillies.  The video associated with the report says the Phillies are not including Sanchez (Philly top pitching prospect) in their offers and that and LA Dodger offer of Verdugo and Alvarez was rejected as not enough.  The Brewers have a pretty decent system.  These are teams that could use MM for a playoff run.  Among playoff teams, the team that could "go for it" with expectations that MM is a big leap to compete with the Astros and NYY in the playoffs is Cleveland.

I really do not believe the DBacks have the horses to get MM.  We will see the commitment level of various teams to part with top prospects soon IMO and have to hope that one team panics and overpays though I do not believe the GMs in Philly or Atlanta are that sort.

Nice to hear our front office is organized and prepared to make deals.  My main concern would be if the FO would be too focused on getting someone who is MLB ready to help what is expected to be a very bad team next year.  We'll see.

Excellent post.

My first thought about Arizona was the same as yours - that they also don't have enough to get Machado. But, after reading some things I think Duplantier, Ketel Marte, and a decent prospect probably gets it done.

Reports also are showing the Dodgers being motivated to go all in this year. Alex Verdugo, Yadier Alvarez, and Dustin May definitely get it done there.

I think those two teams are the front runners. I wouldn't count the Braves out with Alex Anthopoulos as GM - he's aggressive and was in charge of the Jays when they traded for Troy Tulowitzki and David Price. I can't see the Phillies going all in when they don't look quite ready for prime time yet. At the beginning of the season, I thought the Indians would really go for it this year and trade for Machado - but haven't heard much from the Indians front office through reports.

*Interesting to note, the Jays didn't give up much at all there in hindsight. For the Tulo trade, the Jays sent Jose Reyes (Was released next year), Miguel Castro (Picked up on waiver by the Orioles), and Jeff Hoffman (Has struggled at MLB level). For the Price trade, they gave up Daniel Norris (Has struggled so far at MLB level), Matt Boyd (5.17 ERA out of bullpen), and Jairo Labourt (Who?). 

11 hours ago, Frobby said:

Not true.   You trade him when the market is strongest.   Could be tomorrow, could be July 31.     If Olney thinks we’re focused and well organized and focused, that’s music to my ears.  

Yeah, at this point I don't see why they would get more now than on July 31. Plenty of teams will be competing for him. You just hope an injury does not happen. 

1 minute ago, pastorfan said:

Yeah, at this point I don't see why they would get more now than on July 31. Plenty of teams will be competing for him. You just hope an injury does not happen. 

I don’t necessarily think it has to go all the way to 7/31, but it’s okay with me if it does.  DD needs to keep his ear to the ground and pick the right moment.    You don’t ignore the risk of injury, or the risk that interested teams may drop out as they find other solutions to their problems.    But you also don’t take a deal if you sense the offers will get sweetened as the deadline approaches.    It’s an art, not a science.   I’m crossing my fingers that DD will execute well here.   

Looking to bolster their ailing pen, the O’s are reported to be heavily scouting a 1:1 Manny Machado/TJ MacFarland swap from the Diamondbacks. Talent evaluators from Arizona were surprised and impressed by how much the O’s knew about him coming into trade talks.

14 hours ago, ISU94 said:

Duplantier is a stud. Injury or not, he'd be a great get in a deal for Manny.

I like pitchers who can pitch without restriction. Biceps tendinitis can surface as a symptom of more serious problems. 

Archived