Jerry Crasnick ESPN Article on the Orioles

Deadwood Fan

1 hour ago, atomic said:

Angelos had nothing to do that.  The Orioles signed a 30 year lease to play in Camden Yards starting in 1992.  Angelos bought the team in 1993.  

Edward Bennett William's And Larry Lucchino really kept the Orioles in Bsltimore. At first since they were DC people they did think they would someday move them.Had a few ideas like a stadium in between Baltimore and DC Whole complex with the Redskins as well. Then with the Colts threatening to move they got a good deal with the state and city to have the taxpayers pay for the stadium with bonds, etc.Promise to keep Orioles in Baltimore. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Horse Hockey, people crying about the city being unsafe and not going to the park.

IF the team was winning, more people would be coming to the games.

The stadium is safe.

BTW, its society that is getting worse, all over the 50 states.

You got that right. 

1 hour ago, amdcpus said:

Is it though? The city is just getting worse and worse, and many, many people I know refuse to go to the stadium anymore, even if just outside the stadium isn't bad, due to the very negative connotations of Baltimore.

Every city has violence in it. You either go to games are you don't I guess but then you don't want to live in fear. People in a church in a small town Texas  were attacked last year. 15 or so were murdered. Violence is a way of the world. Unfortunately 

6 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Palmer can’t work forever, Billy would be a worthy replacement.  Ben McDonald would work too.  

Agreed.  McDonald does an excellent job on college baseball broadcasts; insightful and humorous.  

Actually, as we seem to be headed to another long dark period in O's history I would love them to bring back Brother Lo.  Funny and irreverent; he made O's games watchable.

14 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Every city has violence in it. You either go to games are you don't I guess but then you don't want to live in fear. People in a church in a small town Texas  were attacked last year. 15 or so were murdered. Violence is a way of the world. Unfortunately 

So you vacation in Syria and South Sudan?  Come on you know the city is dangerous and affects other people's decisions on whether to attend games.  Especially people with small children. 

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

So you vacation in Syria and South Sudan?  Come on you know the city is dangerous and affects other people's decisions on whether to attend games.  Especially people with small children. 

The stadium is completely safe, I take my own grandkids there with no concerns at all.

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Dodgers and Giant stadiums arent very safe, people have been killed in the parking lot.

This video clip is saying attendance is down all over the MLB

The neighborhood around Dodgers Stadium used to be a lot worse than it is now.  It's gentrified a lot. Source: I live 15 mins away.

1 minute ago, Dipper9 said:

All 6 games before Sr. got canned?  ?

And the 67-95 the year before.

But I was talking more about the lack of sound fundamentals on those teams and not the record.

For someone who was supposedly the chief instructor of the Oriole Way those teams were sloppy.

38 minutes ago, atomic said:

Any city is dangerous if you go to the wrong place at the wrong time. O PACY at game time is plenty safe. Safe enough for 35K+ to pick up their hawaiian shirts. Although I have heard some concession workers could be undocumented, and we all know that means they're murderers, rapists and drug dealers.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

And the 67-95 the year before.

But I was talking more about the lack of sound fundamentals on those teams and not the record.

For someone who was supposedly the chief instructor of the Oriole Way those teams were sloppy.

I think what people fail to completely understand is the difference between "managing" and "coaching."  There are some very good coaches, Cal Sr. included, who just were not good managers.  Coaches are basically teachers/trainers.  Baseball Managers are called that for a reason.  They have to manage the game, manage the players, manage the situations, etc.  It is a completely different skill set to "manage" a team than it is to coach the infielders or be the third base coach.  

Archived