Britton Trade Expectations

Greg Pappas

Britton Trade Expectations  

119 members have voted

1. 1. What trade return do you expect for Zach Britton?

• The return will be outstanding
    • The return will be solid
    • The return will be merely decent
    • The return will comparable to Colin Moran: low OBP, below average power, poor fielder with a limited future in MLB
    • The return will be worse than Colin Moran
    • The Orioles will not trade Britton and will not receive a compensation pick since there is no chance they will QO him.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/20/18 at 03:59

On 7/16/2018 at 7:06 AM, Aristotelian said:

I would think as a frequent traveler these guys would go with a sensible carry-on rather than wait around for the luggage carousel!

Security line not baggage claim. He had a carry on. Was going through TSA Pre.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Do it do it do it.  Before Friday preferably.

Then you can move on to Givens, Jones, Valencia and Trumbo before the deadline

They've still got to come to the table with Jones and see what teams he clears.

There is no rush to trade Givens. If they get a good offer, great. But he'll be valuable next year, too.

Valencia will bet you spare parts. Not against trading him, hit you're getting nothing back.

Trumbo I'd like to see gone, but they'll have to be open to eating money.

7 hours ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Unless his arm completely falls off, we are almost assured the QO-related comp pick as a floor.  I like the idea of him continuing to show health to entice teams to up their packages.  I think the risk is worth it (obviously depending on the conversations actually being held).

What if he accepts the QO?

There seems to be more of a market this year for Britton than last year. It seemed as if the Astros were bidding against themselves and then were content not doing anything. I think what Britton brings back in trade is going to surprise people and will be more than the rumored package from Houston last year. Like Colin Moran. 

13 hours ago, e16bball said:

Why not?

He has significant trade value at the deadline this year, despite the fact that he (a) is coming off a major injury, (b) has barely pitched this season, (c) hasn’t pitched that well, and (d) is a straight rental with no pick attached. 

If we were to re-sign him to a market value deal and he returned to prior Zach Britton form, he would be one of the most valuable chips on the market at next year’s deadline or the following offseason. 

Money is not going to be as much of a concern over the next few seasons. You can’t buy up prospects (for the most part), so I think they should be looking to use FA to add players who may provide longer-term value in the form of becoming coveted trade assets. That might not necessarily be guys in the Zach Britton, “top of the market” type category — but I wouldn’t rule it out either. He would be right near the top of my list of rebound season/increased value potential guys to speculate on in FA.

I would say the idea of retaining ZB for another year makes little sense to me as well for several reasons.  

First, our FO invested $12M into an injured ZB on a gamble that he returned to form and could be traded right now.  The idea that we should invest a similar amount for another gamble of incremental improvement from the current ZB seems a bit rich.  That's gambling near $25M to see if ZB can return to being one of the top three relievers in MLB.

Second, the market for ZB is pretty strong right now.  Philly for instance has a kid named Arano - preseason BA rating of 45 - closing games.  The Houston bullpen is a hot mess.  Atlanta's main closer just went on the DL for the second time this season.  Eight teams are supposedly after him.  The market next year for ZB could be better theoretically, but it is pretty strong right now.

Third, ZB is not where he was, but the velo has come back, the "stuff" is improving significantly and the command needs some work.  He's a good enough semblance of his former self to trade now for quality instead of gambling for more. 

Fourth, of your abcd points above, unless we signed ZB to a multi-year deal, he would be a rental next year as well.  Not a relevant point.  And, of course, it would be a gamble that ZB doesn't break down again.

Besides, why not trade him now and try to sign him in the offseason if available?

40 minutes ago, hoosiers said:

Besides, why not trade him now and try to sign him in the offseason if available?

This is what I was suggesting.

They clearly should trade him now. But after trading him, I think they also should give serious consideration to making him a solid offer to sign back here in the offseason. 

Not really for his contributions to the 2019 Orioles, but for the opportunity to trade him again — whether at the deadline or the next offseason.

I would love by the weekend.  I think Britton has shown enough in the last 4 outings to get a market going, and that now each inning has more downside than upside.  It may help a little more, but a meltdown could hurt a lot - if he gets in this weekend, it's going to feel like betting the table max on one hand of blackjack.

3 hours ago, El Gordo said:

I think we could trade Zach and then sign him to a pillow contract next year. Where ever he signs I don't think he gets as much as he is getting now.

If he's traded and excels, he'll get a great offer from someone especially since there is no QO attached to him.

Archived