Britton Trade Expectations

Greg Pappas

Britton Trade Expectations  

119 members have voted

1. 1. What trade return do you expect for Zach Britton?

• The return will be outstanding
    • The return will be solid
    • The return will be merely decent
    • The return will comparable to Colin Moran: low OBP, below average power, poor fielder with a limited future in MLB
    • The return will be worse than Colin Moran
    • The Orioles will not trade Britton and will not receive a compensation pick since there is no chance they will QO him.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/20/18 at 03:59

I was surprised to see Britton ranked 3rd on mlbtrade's top trade candidates. I feel he's just one or two shaky appearances away from seeing his stock value drastically drop. If I'm the O's and have a very good trade proposal or two already, I would look to move him immediately.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, O's are Legends said:

I was surprised to see Manny ranked 3rd on mlbtrade's top trade candidates. I feel he's just one or two shaky appearances away from seeing his stock value drastically drop. If I'm the O's and have a very good trade proposal or two already, I would look to move him immediately.

I think you mean Zach Britton, and what you say does have merit. But from what I have seen, he looks healthy and getting better each time out. I think he brings back a haul.

26 minutes ago, O's are Legends said:

I was surprised to see Manny ranked 3rd on mlbtrade's top trade candidates. I feel he's just one or two shaky appearances away from seeing his stock value drastically drop. If I'm the O's and have a very good trade proposal or two already, I would look to move him immediately.

I would look to deal him early just based off of injury history and associated performance due to injury. We are not sniffing .500 this year. I would deal him verses holding on to him in hopes of a getting a slightly better return.

22 minutes ago, theobird said:

I think you mean Zach Britton, and what you say does have merit. But from what I have seen, he looks healthy and getting better each time out. I think he brings back a haul.

Thanks for the correction, I've been in Cali (San Diego, San Jose) attending medical conferences and haven't been getting as much sleep as I should and simple mistakes are easy for me to make right now.

On a side note, petco park is amazing, too bad the padres aren't. 

2 hours ago, O's are Legends said:

I was surprised to see Britton ranked 3rd on mlbtrade's top trade candidates. I feel he's just one or two shaky appearances away from seeing his stock value drastically drop. If I'm the O's and have a very good trade proposal or two already, I would look to move him immediately.

1 hour ago, theobird said:

1 hour ago, GoldGlove21 said:

I would look to deal him early just based off of injury history and associated performance due to injury. We are not sniffing .500 this year. I would deal him verses holding on to him in hopes of a getting a slightly better return.

Unless his arm completely falls off, we are almost assured the QO-related comp pick as a floor.  I like the idea of him continuing to show health to entice teams to up their packages.  I think the risk is worth it (obviously depending on the conversations actually being held).

3 hours ago, O's are Legends said:

That is the mercurial nature of all back end relievers. It's why folks want to use them in the 6th inning then immediately ship them off for prospects.  But also, perhaps paradoxically, why they can be so expensive to acquire at the deadline.  Everyone wants to trade for a "hot goalie".

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I find it hard to believe Britton will be shipped before play resumes. It would be nice and safe but the Os don't move fast enough imo. 

The caveat is that he isn't in the Manny deal.

Agreed. Unless its to the Phillies who we've already had extensive talks with.

If we got Medina or Enyel + for Britton from Philly that would be tremendous.

Been a lot of hate on Medina here lately due to numbers but he most definitely has #2/#3 upside and filthy stuff. Would be a great get and slot into the top 3-4 of our prospect list immediately (which is becoming more crowded with the reported Manny return).

6 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

In no world does that make sense for the Orioles. 

Why not?

He has significant trade value at the deadline this year, despite the fact that he (a) is coming off a major injury, (b) has barely pitched this season, (c) hasn’t pitched that well, and (d) is a straight rental with no pick attached. 

If we were to re-sign him to a market value deal and he returned to prior Zach Britton form, he would be one of the most valuable chips on the market at next year’s deadline or the following offseason. 

Money is not going to be as much of a concern over the next few seasons. You can’t buy up prospects (for the most part), so I think they should be looking to use FA to add players who may provide longer-term value in the form of becoming coveted trade assets. That might not necessarily be guys in the Zach Britton, “top of the market” type category — but I wouldn’t rule it out either. He would be right near the top of my list of rebound season/increased value potential guys to speculate on in FA.

Archived