Britton Trade Expectations

Greg Pappas

Britton Trade Expectations  

119 members have voted

1. 1. What trade return do you expect for Zach Britton?

• The return will be outstanding
    • The return will be solid
    • The return will be merely decent
    • The return will comparable to Colin Moran: low OBP, below average power, poor fielder with a limited future in MLB
    • The return will be worse than Colin Moran
    • The Orioles will not trade Britton and will not receive a compensation pick since there is no chance they will QO him.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/20/18 at 03:59

14 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I still think the best approach against Britton is just to stand there.

You're probably not going to square him up. 

I have actually mused to my brother numerous times, "Why don't people just stand there against Britton? All of his best stuff breaks out of the zone, anyway."

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, FlipTheBird said:

I have actually mused to my brother numerous times, "Why don't people just stand there against Britton? All of his best stuff breaks out of the zone, anyway."

Isn't that what the Royals Advanced Scouts told them to do during the ALCS?

I don't understand why people think Britton's going to attract massive trade value. When he's at his best, he's really good.... but he's only about a month removed from a major injury. And that wasn't exactly his first trip to the DL.

Best case IMO is that we pick up a B level prospect for him along with a B-/C+ kinda prospect.... maybe getting an additional C level prospect as a throw in. 

Just now, HokieOs said:

I don't understand why people think Britton's going to attract massive trade value. When he's at his best, he's really good.... but he's only about a month removed from a major injury. And that wasn't exactly his first trip to the DL.

Best case IMO is that we pick up a B level prospect for him along with a B-/C+ kinda prospect.... maybe getting an additional C level prospect as a throw in. 

I generally agree with you. Only reason I am hopeful is the dearth of experienced back-end arms on the market. Some are skeptical if Brad Hand is really available. If there are a lot of teams looking and few options available, a GM may be willing to roll the dice on a one-time best closer in the game, even if he's coming off injury. 

Per MLB Trade Rumors - top trade candidates

3. Zach Britton, RP, Orioles (LR: INJ): The southpaw really didn’t figure to land this high on the list, but recent developments have knocked down other candidates and he seems to be working out the kinks, with improved results and increased velocity of late. There are also loads of reports on interest, so it’s all but certain he’ll be dealt. Britton is still just 15 games into his return from Achilles surgery, of course, and dealt with elbow/forearm troubles last year. But the Britton of old was one of the game’s best relievers and he has certainly shown some eyebrow-raising signs of late, including increasing fastball velocity and a swinging-strike rate that is up to 14.5% for the year. He’s earning a $12MM salary this year, which will also serve to impact his market and the O’s potential return.

2 minutes ago, MachoMachadoMan said:

I generally agree with you. Only reason I am hopeful is the dearth of experienced back-end arms on the market. Some are skeptical if Brad Hand is really available. If there are a lot of teams looking and few options available, a GM may be willing to roll the dice on a one-time best closer in the game, even if he's coming off injury. 

And this is it. The contenders will want to add a lock down back of the bullpen arm. Britton is that, and he has been demonstrating health. I think a lot of you guys will be shocked by his deal. It will become another bidding war.

2 minutes ago, MachoMachadoMan said:

That is the good news... and the good thing about the trade market is that you only have to fool one team. 

Salary would also likely be a concern, though perhaps a bit of a salary dump from the team that picks Britton up could be in the cards.

6 minutes ago, MachoMachadoMan said:

Per MLB Trade Rumors - top trade candidates

3. Zach Britton, RP, Orioles (LR: INJ): The southpaw really didn’t figure to land this high on the list, but recent developments have knocked down other candidates and he seems to be working out the kinks, with improved results and increased velocity of late. There are also loads of reports on interest, so it’s all but certain he’ll be dealt. Britton is still just 15 games into his return from Achilles surgery, of course, and dealt with elbow/forearm troubles last year. But the Britton of old was one of the game’s best relievers and he has certainly shown some eyebrow-raising signs of late, including increasing fastball velocity and a swinging-strike rate that is up to 14.5% for the year. He’s earning a $12MM salary this year, which will also serve to impact his market and the O’s potential return.

Keep stacking those good appearances, Zach.  Each one drives the price a little bit higher.

This is the kind of guy that the Orioles might even sign back in 2019 if his FA price isn't too high.  Kind of like Chapman and the Yankees.  But we'll see.

14 hours ago, FlipTheBird said:

Especially now since he's control is still off. You're better off taking your chances and hoping he walks you. 

10 minutes ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Keep stacking those good appearances, Zach.  Each one drives the price a little bit higher.

This is the kind of guy that the Orioles might even sign back in 2019 if his FA price isn't too high.  Kind of like Chapman and the Yankees.  But we'll see.

In no world does that make sense for the Orioles. 

Archived