Britton Trade Expectations

Greg Pappas

Britton Trade Expectations  

119 members have voted

1. 1. What trade return do you expect for Zach Britton?

• The return will be outstanding
    • The return will be solid
    • The return will be merely decent
    • The return will comparable to Colin Moran: low OBP, below average power, poor fielder with a limited future in MLB
    • The return will be worse than Colin Moran
    • The Orioles will not trade Britton and will not receive a compensation pick since there is no chance they will QO him.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/20/18 at 03:59

Britton has been progressing nicely since his return, and should net the O's a solid piece back.  If he becomes lights-out over the next couple of weeks, that solid piece could become notably better. 

Here's the latest on Britton: https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/phillies/phillies-interested-orioles-reliever-zach-britton

Like Machado, Britton will be a free agent in the offseason. Phillies officials are not keen on giving up multiples of prospects for a rental player, but Britton’s price will be lower than Machado’s. Pretty much every team looking for relief help will have an interest in Britton, so the Orioles can afford to let his market develop. But the Phillies, who could possibly include Maikel Franco in a package, are in the running for him.

Edit: FWIW, I didn't create the poll above.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I imagine the Braves are in the same boat as the Phillies - who are tied with each other for 1st place in the NL East.  The Braves have said for a while they're looking for a veteran reliever.  In any case, I'm guessing the O's will have to foot most of the bill for Britton's salary if they want to get a prospect back.  Britton's velocity seems to be (slowly) coming back.  And Philly and Atlanta probably should be among the teams trying to get Manny.    

1 minute ago, Lucky_13 said:

If they get one of these guys and Franco, that's a pretty good deal

Really hope it's Enyel. I like Suarez too, but de los Santos holds more upside. Would be a very rock solid centerpiece.

3 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

I'd be very happy with de los Santos alone.

Honestly, same.

The guy is pretty much ready. He holds #2/#3 type upside. Britton is looking very solid and well on his way back but to get a young, controlled, MLB ready arm for 2-3 months of Britton would be good. Think we'd still get a flier prospect with an arm like Suarez or de los Santos, but still. 

Just now, ISU94 said:

Nolan Jones is on the Indians...unless you mean from each team those are the main guys you'd like.

Correct. The Indians are in real need of bullpen help too, and I expect them to be in on Britton for sure.

2 minutes ago, theobird said:

Correct. The Indians are in real need of bullpen help too, and I expect them to be in on Britton for sure.

Yeah, I like Nolan Jones a good bit. They'd make a lot of sense along with PHI, BOS, NYY, etc.

My preference would be to trade Manny to the Dodgers for Verdugo, Lux and May. Then trade Britton to the Indians for Jones and Chang. But there are a lot of prospective deals that I could get behind. I think another couple of lock down performances from Britton will make his trade value very, very high to the contenders.

21 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

As soon as the Orioles can get a young 3-4 starter or a SS/3B of the future in return you pull the deal.

I hear you.  It's debatable on what the better course of action should be, but I suspect they'll try to allow Britton to build more value by the deadline before dealing him. Whether or not that strategy pays off is the question, if that is indeed their thinking.  Britton could falter or get hurt and lose value, missing out on a potential future piece, in an attempt to get a better package later. We'll see soon enough.

Archived