Britton Trade Expectations

Greg Pappas

Britton Trade Expectations  

119 members have voted

1. 1. What trade return do you expect for Zach Britton?

• The return will be outstanding
    • The return will be solid
    • The return will be merely decent
    • The return will comparable to Colin Moran: low OBP, below average power, poor fielder with a limited future in MLB
    • The return will be worse than Colin Moran
    • The Orioles will not trade Britton and will not receive a compensation pick since there is no chance they will QO him.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/20/18 at 03:59

Britton was pretty decent today besides the double but he lucked out there was an awful send home. It was back-to-back days so I don't think today really hurt or helped his trade value. Last night really helped. His ERA is down to 3.68 now too.  If he's not packaged with Manny I'm thinking he may wait until the last day to trade him.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, pwhite said:

Britton was pretty decent today besides the double but he lucked out there was an awful send home. It was back-to-back days so I don't think today really hurt or helped his trade value. Last night really helped. His ERA is down to 3.68 now too.  If he's not packaged with Manny I'm thinking he may wait until the last day to trade him.

Hope not. His stuff is almost back and it looks better by the game (until the b2b games, but still good). Don't risk it if we get a good offer imo.

If the right deal isn't out there, I'm not opposed to holding onto him and giving him the qualifying offer. Yes it would be expensive. But they could either get that sandwich pick -- which would have to be more valuable than the offers they're getting now -- or go through this again next year. Let him re-establish value and add a stabilizing factor to what will be a very young pen, aside from O'Day. 

Brach I would take anything for at this point. 

18 minutes ago, Santandah said:

If the right deal isn't out there, I'm not opposed to holding onto him and giving him the qualifying offer. Yes it would be expensive. But they could either get that sandwich pick -- which would have to be more valuable than the offers they're getting now -- or go through this again next year. Let him re-establish value and add a stabilizing factor to what will be a very young pen, aside from O'Day. 

Brach I would take anything for at this point. 

I don’t think he’d have many save opportunities next season. You’d be paying about $10 million for whatever prospects you end up trading him for next year at this time.

Just now, DirtyBird said:

I don’t think he’d have many save opportunities next season. You’d be paying about $10 million for whatever prospects you end up trading him for next year at this time.

I said it would be expensive. But it's not about number of saves, so much as dominance in innings pitched. 

13 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

Speaking of Britton. Just saw him at BWI in the security line waiting for his bag about an hour ago.

I would think as a frequent traveler these guys would go with a sensible carry-on rather than wait around for the luggage carousel!

Britton’s command is still not where it was in his heyday.    Walked one batter each of the last two games, spiked a pitch on Saturday that put a runner in scoring position, and got a pitch up that got laced for a double in the corner but the 9-4-2 relay play bailed him out.    The stuff looks real good but he’s not sharp enough where I’d expect a team to treat him as if he was 100% back for purposes of valuing him in a trade.     Still, if I were the O’s I might trade him now rather than having him put in more appearances, since it’s a crapshoot whether he’ll look better or worse his next few times out.  

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Britton’s command is still not where it was in his heyday.    Walked one batter each of the last two games, spiked a pitch on Saturday that put a runner in scoring position, and got a pitch up that got laced for a double in the corner but the 9-4-2 relay play bailed him out.    The stuff looks real good but he’s not sharp enough where I’d expect a team to treat him as if he was 100% back for purposes of valuing him in a trade.     Still, if I were the O’s I might trade him now rather than having him put in more appearances, since it’s a crapshoot whether he’ll look better or worse his next few times out.  

I still think the best approach against Britton is just to stand there.

You're probably not going to square him up. 

The Braves really need to acquire an experienced late inning reliever - especially with closer Vizcaino back on the DL for the 2nd time this year.  It's only the 10 day, but I don't think they're comfortable at all with their bullpen, and their GM has pretty much said that.  

16 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

The Braves really need to acquire an experienced late inning reliever - especially with closer Vizcaino back on the DL for the 2nd time this year.  It's only the 10 day, but I don't think they're comfortable at all with their bullpen, and their GM has pretty much said that.  

Minter (LHP) and Winkler (RHP) have been solid, but I agree 100%. They could use Britton just as much as any team. I'm just not sure they're prepared to part with any of their young pitching...

4 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Minter (LHP) and Winkler (RHP) have been solid, but I agree 100%. They could use Britton just as much as any team. I'm just not sure they're prepared to part with any of their young pitching...

I think Minter is eventually their closer, but he's not quite ready.  They are so deep in minor league pitching prospects, though - even with the failure to sign their 1st round pick.  I think it depends on how much of Britton's contract the O's are willing to pay.  If it's not more than half, nobody's going to give the O's a very good prospect.  

Just now, Ruzious said:

I think Minter is eventually their closer, but he's not quite ready.  They are so deep in minor league pitching prospects, though - even with the failure to sign their 1st round pick.  I think it depends on how much of Britton's contract the O's are willing to pay.  If it's not more than half, nobody's going to give the O's a very good prospect.  

They certainly want him to be. I don't think they're ready to turn over the reign to him yet though. That's why Britton makes perfect sense. 

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

Interestingly enough, his zone percentage isn't that different from what it was in 2016. But people swung at his out-of-zone pitches way more often.  That either means he's not fooling people anymore (could be due to loss of velocity) or he's missing too far outside the strike zone for batters to be tempted.  I would say that my memory of him is that he misses the zone more than you would remember, but it never mattered because batters swung at balls around their ankles pretty  consistently.

8 minutes ago, Hallas said:

Interestingly enough, his zone percentage isn't that different from what it was in 2016. But people swung at his out-of-zone pitches way more often.  That either means he's not fooling people anymore (could be due to loss of velocity) or he's missing too far outside the strike zone for batters to be tempted.  I would say that my memory of him is that he misses the zone more than you would remember, but it never mattered because batters swung at balls around their ankles pretty  consistently.

I agree with you that he always induced a lot of swings at pitches low out of the strike zone.    I think he’s missing worse now, and getting behind more hitters.    

Archived