I think we just saw the passing of the torch

Moose Milligan

5 minutes ago, section18 said:

Did everyone notice Duquette last night said trading veterans when talking about their rebuild? Not just free agents. VETERANS !

Will they move Gausman? Schoop? Trumbo ? Valencia? Givens? Beckham ? in deals?

My guess is a lot of that won’t be considered until the season’s over, due to time constraints.    

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

I am wondering if DD and Buck don't have contracts to all the sons to set up the FO the way they want. This could have been the plan all along. I am wondering if they have made the decision to bring back DD in a higher role such as President? He seemed very invested in the future while describing the changes. I am not sure why (unless instructed to do so) he would offer all the info he did if he is gone at the end of the year. He has always struck me as an innovative guy who wants to use analytics more and he certainly is a guy who believes in the international market. Maybe the promote him and bring in a GM. Also, I think Brady can be very helpful to the club, given the right parameters. He is one of the few forward thinkers in the organization and has done a good job (IMHO) in the training and nutrition areas. I was very encouraged to hear what DD had to say in Roch's blog.

I also think DD could still be around after this year (and I've long felt he would be the happiest man alive the second his current contract was up), but keep in mind that how professionally he handles himself now is also an audition for his next job at some other organization.

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

With these past two weeks, I think we have witnessed the passing of the torch from Peter Angelos to John.  Bringing Brooks in as a goodwill ambassador and advisor, the Machado trade (and hopefully trades to come) the announcement that this FO is going in a more analytics based approach with a focus on the international market...these are all very positive things and things that I don't think would happen under Peter.  

Now of course the Orioles have to act on it, they actually need to walk the talk here.  I think John isn't going to mess around and let things slip.  That is my hope, anyway.  

There's reason for optimism in Birdland, the past 24 hours have shown it.  I'm looking forward to seeing what the Orioles do on these fronts and how the plan unfolds.  

Agreed i've never been more motivated as a fan (all things considered).  It feels real this time and I actually feel myself feeling we will come out of this as a competitive well-built team.  We have tons of pieces to move and nowhere to go but up.  

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

That's what I would do, what are the new recipients of the torch planning? Also is Bradys roll going to be defined.

Well, that'd be reason enough to let Buck finish 2018 and run this ship straight into the ground. After the deadline passes they can dedicate their efforts to coming up with a list of candidates that they'd be able to start calling on November 1.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

My guess is a lot of that won’t be considered until the season’s over, due to time constraints.    

I agree plus Schoop has had a poor year.  If it is me i let him and Gausman play the year out and in the off season go them with an extension for 3 additional years and if they dont want to be locked up.  Move them during the winter.  I think we got a nice haul for Manny but most them are 2 years away from really helping the major league team and those two will be free agents  by then.

7 hours ago, Sir_Loin said:

Indeed you did. They have ramped up for the July 2 period already in 2019...

Thanks for the tidbit Sir Loin.  Can you confirm that John & Lou Angelos are running the show now and Peter is no longer involved in the decision making process?  Also, any idea if they are planning to keep Duquette around for the rebuild?

5 hours ago, bpilktree67 said:

I agree plus Schoop has had a poor year.  If it is me i let him and Gausman play the year out and in the off season go them with an extension for 3 additional years and if they dont want to be locked up.  Move them during the winter.  I think we got a nice haul for Manny but most them are 2 years away from really helping the major league team and those two will be free agents  by then.

This is the most sensible route for the Sell Everything Now crowd.  

7 hours ago, 24fps said:

I also think DD could still be around after this year (and I've long felt he would be the happiest man alive the second his current contract was up), but keep in mind that how professionally he handles himself now is also an audition for his next job at some other organization.

Or maybe the Angelos sons have made the decision to give Dan the promotion he wanted then, and the freedom to do his job. I for one hope Dan stays 

Archived