The Orioles Should Trade Gausman at the Deadline

Luke-OH

8 minutes ago, Punchandjudy said:

the draft is enough of a crapshoot that you don't tank just to get a draft pick.  If memory serves, Manny was drafted 4th right?  Trout was drafted in the 20's somewhere...you can find transformative talent in many places especially in the first round.   The problem I have with the thread is the word "should."  The O's should trade anyone for the right deal.  Everything is for sale for the right price. 

DD has pretty much said that all throughout his years here.

Nobody is "untouchable", but make it worthwhile to discuss and we will be happy to discuss that move.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If we’re going to be bad, I’d just as soon be bad enough to garner a couple of no. 1-3 draft picks.    As I’ve documented, the draft is a bit of a crapshoot even at that level, but the odds of getting high impact talent are much better.

I agree with you 100%.

I didnt like what I think it was Roy Firestone mentioning yesterday about the Oriole scouting department being understaff.

Do you buy into that theory, or is he like I am, just totally disgruntled with the FO?

On 7/19/2018 at 1:37 PM, Luke-OH said:

His value is significant with 2 years of control remaining and his premium stuff (some teams see a greater upside). I think his value is at least on par with Sonny Gray last year. Gray returned 3 top 100 prospects (although two were injured at the time). 

Since the Orioles have announced a rebuild, I think it's smart to move controllable pieces if they have significant value. There isn't much in the way of available controllable starters, especially if the Mets don't decide to move one of their elite starters.

The Orioles should certainly entertain offers for anyone in the organization. If Gausman could net that kind of return I'd take him to the airport myself.

After hearing Dan’s interview today there is no doubt in my mind Gausman is traded. The question is at the deadline or in the off-season. The Nats could use him! 

Dan made it clear 2019 and 2020 would not be competitive.

Honestly, Dan was very direct and embraced the rebuild. It was refreshing.

2 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

After hearing Dan’s interview today there is no doubt in my mind Gausman is traded. The question is at the deadline or in the off-season. The Nats could use him! 

No, the Nats don't need him.  They need Harper to hit for a higher BA than his listed weight, 220 lbs.

Just now, TonySoprano said:

No, the Nats don't need him.  They need Harper to hit for a higher BA than his listed weight, 220 lbs.

My wife and I love the Nats and the park, not Harper. He’s obnoxious and hope he leaves. I’d trade him and think they do better without him honestly.

I think he just cared about the HR contest. Watch his OBP and avg go up now...

8 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

I suspect he's aiming for competitiveness in 2020.  But that's Gausman's last year of control, and we might be able to trade him for players that we will control for the entirety of our upswing.

I think that good prospects currently in A+ should have a target arrival date of 2020 or 2021, so if we can get some of that for Gausman we should be all over it.

4 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

My wife and I love the Nats and the park, not Harper. He’s obnoxious and hope he leaves. I’d trade him and think they do better without him honestly.

I think he just cared about the HR contest. Watch his OBP and avg go up now...

The Nats, like the Orioles in 2017, thought they would be in contention, as many predicted they would.  My guess is that the Lerners get played by Scott Boras and bid against themselves.  Boras will bring in other bidders, and the "mystery team," but think ARod and Texas redux.  Otherwise, all they get is a comp pick and suddenly the O's don't look quite as dumb for trading Machado in a walk year.

Back on topic, Dan is talking about trading guys in their walk year.  My assumption is Britton and Jones are next on his docket.

Just now, Hallas said:

I suspect he's aiming for competitiveness in 2020.  But that's Gausman's last year of control, and we might be able to trade him for players that we will control for the entirety of our upswing.

I think that good prospects currently in A+ should have a target arrival date of 2020 or 2021, so if we can get some of that for Gausman we should be all over it.

He said in the interview we would not be competitive in 2019 and probably not in 2020. He was very direct.

Just now, TonySoprano said:

The Nats, like the Orioles in 2017, thought they would be in contention, as many predicted they would.  My guess is that the Lerners get played by Scott Boras and bid against themselves.  Boras will bring in other bidders, and the "mystery team," but think ARod and Texas redux.  Otherwise, all they get is a comp pick and suddenly the O's don't look quite as dumb for trading Machado in a walk year.

They could have just kept Dusty and we wouldn’t be in this mess. I don’t want Harper back. An OF of Eaton, Soto, Taylor and Robles is amazing.

3 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

He said in the interview we would not be competitive in 2019 and probably not in 2020. He was very direct.

Do you have a transcript of his interview?  The only version I can see is an edited version from Roch's blog and it doesn't say anything about 2019 or 2020.  He was very direct about needing to start rebuilding for long term success but he didn't put a time frame around it.

Just now, Hallas said:

Do you have a transcript of his interview?  The only version I can see is an edited version from Roch's blog and it doesn't say anything about 2019 or 2020.

It was a call with Coleman on 105.7. My signal usually dies out the closer I get to DC so it was some time earlier this afternoon.

Archived