25 Man. Who's up for Manny?

Aristotelian

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

I think it will be the utility guy we got from the Dodgers.  Valera. Maybe Nunez. We could play Valencia everyday to try and enhance his trade value. 

They optioned the new guy to Norfolk. I believe that requires the 10 day waiting period.

They do have another open 40 spot for Nunez if needbe.

59 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think it will be the utility guy we got from the Dodgers.  Valera. Maybe Nunez. We could play Valencia everyday to try and enhance his trade value. 

Forgive me, I'm quoting you, but my issue is with everyone with this line of thinking and nothing personal. 

Why do people believe that Major League front offices perform such surface-level talent evaluation? What is Valencia going to do that is going to enhance his trade value. I could see if he was coming off the DL and teams wanted to see if he's recovered from whatever injury he had, but that's not the case.  

Teams are a bit better and extracting value than they used to be. Two weeks of data would be nothing but noise

5 hours ago, awannabegeek said:

Forgive me, I'm quoting you, but my issue is with everyone with this line of thinking and nothing personal. 

Why do people believe that Major League front offices perform such surface-level talent evaluation? What is Valencia going to do that is going to enhance his trade value. I could see if he was coming off the DL and teams wanted to see if he's recovered from whatever injury he had, but that's not the case.  

Teams are a bit better and extracting value than they used to be. Two weeks of data would be nothing but noise

A hot streak never hurts. Valencia is what he is. The league knows that. He’s not some established all star position player. He’s a role/platoon player. Platoon players are expected to produce when played. 

A good comp for him is Steve Pearce. Pearce brought back a non top 30, 23 yo SS, with good numbers in A+’this year. 

I’d take a return like that for Valencia.  Or any return.

6 hours ago, El Gordo said:

I bet Manny didn't even know who's number it was on the O's. Just a number he liked that was available, Sorry Cal.

Or the Dodgers equipment manager was like, "I've got one jersey prepared, kid, and you're getting it."  Who knows?

11 hours ago, SteveA said:

Someone noted in another thread that Renato Nunez didn't start either game of Norfolk's doubleheader tonight.

And as Il Buono implies... today is the day that Tillman's minor league rehab runs out.   I believe we either have to activate him to the 25 man roster or DFA him, right?   Or is there another choice I'm not aware of?

It better be Nunez. I want to see him for an extended stay.

11 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

They optioned the new guy to Norfolk. I believe that requires the 10 day waiting period.

They do have another open 40 spot for Nunez if needbe.

As I said yesterday in the other thread, we do not have any open spots on the 40-man. Valera took Machado's spot. I think they activate and DFA Tillman and call up Nunez.

On 7/17/2018 at 9:06 PM, Aristotelian said:

Dosch or Nunez would have to be added to the 40 man. Same with Tejada.

Vielma is already on the 40 man but on the DL.

I am assuming Beckham to SS. If it is Nunez or Dosch, do they take over 3B, or do you give Schoop a look there when the games don't matter?

Tim Beckham is expected to move back to short and manager Buck Showalter can choose between Danny Valencia and Jace Peterson for third base.

Roch

13 hours ago, 24fps said:

Tillman saga gets put to rest on the field once and for all now IMO.  Loose end.  If he doesn't cut it, then they part ways and Chris goes home and counts his money.  It's a new day in Baltimore, etc., etc...

I hope so. I was half joking, half cynical with the suggestion they bring him up.

If they cut him loose, I may be convinced things are changing. May be.

Archived