Schoop: Extend or Trade

Dipper9

What should we do with Schoop?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. What should we do with Schoop?

• Extend him.
    • Trade him.
    • Wait until next year's deadline when his value may be higher.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd move him this winter, with the caveat that he would need to have a good 2nd half to restore his trade value to at least close to what it was after last season.  If he continues his rough season, you'd be selling low, and in that scenario I'd wait until next July and hope he has a good 1st half.

If he demands to play short in the offseason, trade him.

Actually, I'd like to keep him if he can be kept at a reasonable cost.  The O's need to lock up some guys for a few years at a reasonable rate if possible.  Hopefully this "rebuild" only takes a few years if they make a few savvy moves and a couple of their guys pan out.  

2 minutes ago, Black Bat said:

I don't agree with your assessment that his value "probably" will not get higher.  Without the aid of a crystal ball, such prognostications are impossible.  Maybe you have some insight - injury, age (26), emotional issue, PED use...

So, it takes a crystal ball to say his value probably won't get higher, but it doesn't take one to say his value will go higher?

Hard to say without knowing what’s being offered.

I guess I’d try to extend him at a team friendly salary for a couple years hoping he’ll reestablish value. Then trade him if his value goes up.

Now that Manny is gone, there’s really no point in keeping Schoop as I think we are 3-5 years away from contending.

If it were me, I would have made a sign/trade decision on Manny 1-2 seasons ago, so it would have been a no brainer to sell high on Schoop coming off his career year.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

It wouldn’t be 2-3 weeks, because Schoop spent 27 days in the majors in Sept. 2013.    He’d have to be down about 6 weeks.    Not happening.   

Ah, I forgot about the September call up, thanks.

You may be right that it's not happening, but why shouldn't it? What's the worst that happens if we send Schoop down for six weeks right now? Schoop pouts, then comes back up and does his best because he still wants a big contract when he hits free agency and/or out of Baltimore as soon as possible? The players' union files a grievance that doesn't go anywhere because we didn't technically break the rules?

I'm just having a hard time seeing the downsides to this

Extend him and possibly see if the 2018 version is the real Schoop? Right now, IMO, Schoop has 2+ features..1) His arm 2) his work at literally 2B-turning DP, tagging). His fielding is meh (range???, going back to his right on pops??), his hitting is at best puzzling....just not sure about the guy.

Extend him.  Last year he had a .841 OPS/123 OPS+ season with power that's rare at 2B.  Isn't this the ideal time to extend based on the argument that's been made ad nauseum about how the FO screwed up the Manny situation?

He's having a down year along with most of the rest of the team.  Take advantage of it.

Trade now if you get a good offer but that seems unlikely. Look for a trade in the offseason but also make sure he works on his conditioning and defense. Explore an extension as well but ultimately I don't think I would pay what he likely would want.

I'd look to trade IF and only if you get a solid offer. If not, I agree with those who want to extend him. Contract demands should be reasonable and we won't have many guys on the books besides Davis long term. Not a bad guy to have around and teach the young guys. Not like we have a young 2B in the minors pressing to get up right now.

I think the best course of action-depending on Schoop's salary demands-is to extend him.

Trading him right now would be selling low on a stud second baseman. If you extend him and the rebuild goes by perfectly, you have a franchise second baseman who would provide veteran leadership for the duration of our next window(which would probably be around 4 years). If the rebuild stalls and takes over 4 years, we can trade him. If he is hitting like in 2017 and still has a few years left on the contract, we could receive a major haul. Extensions can lead to better prospect returns, like Brad Hand yesterday. IF he isn't performing and we aren't performing, we wait out the contract. If we are performing and Schoop isn't, the contract shouldn't be too preposterous.

2 minutes ago, Thato'sfan said:

I think the best course of action-depending on Schoop's salary demands-is to extend him.

Trading him right now would be selling low on a stud second baseman. If you extend him and the rebuild goes by perfectly, you have a franchise second baseman who would provide veteran leadership for the duration of our next window(which would probably be around 4 years). If the rebuild stalls and takes over 4 years, we can trade him. If he is hitting like in 2017 and still has a few years left on the contract, we could receive a major haul. Extensions can lead to better prospect returns, like Brad Hand yesterday. IF he isn't performing and we aren't performing, we wait out the contract. If we are performing and Schoop isn't, the contract shouldn't be too preposterous.

What position do you see him playing 4-6 years from now? He has negative defense value at 2B as it is.

Archived