Dan Duquette -- any chance he stays?

Bradysburns

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re-signing Duquette would be a smart move, especially if they are going to let him go into the international waters.  Duquette has gotten hammered by the Orioles fanbase, but this guy, moreso than Epstein in my opinion, built the Red Sox for sustained success with their international scouting and development system.  The problem is that the Orioles never let him bring any of his guys in except Ferreira, and then never let him use one of the best international scouts unless it was for a "professional" signing like Chen or Kim.  

Also, let's not forget Brady Anderson has whatever role he has, and at times has undercut Duquette.  Him and Showalter have always had an icy relationship, and Buck has been able to get some of his philosophies, outdated as they are like the slidestep and the minimalist windup, ingrained in our system from the top to bottom.  

IF they are letting Duquette blow this entire thing up and rebuild it from the ground up, I absolutely support it.  He needs to be able to pick his manager, his assistant GM and fill the front office with more analytics and go head-first into the international market and start developing academies throughout the baseball-rich countries.  These are things he wanted to do when he originally came on board, and ownership stopped him.  If they are going to let him do it right, then we have the right guy for the job. 

5 hours ago, Thato'sfan said:

I think he'll stay. He has repeatedly made his desire to stay public. his "heart is in Baltimore." Also, I doubt that the organization hasn't seen the changing public perception of Duquette. He is gaining support to be our GM and knows the ins and outs of the organization. IMO, I think the Angelos family will be negotiating an extension for Duquette in August/September.

Wow, I hadn't heard that before -- not definitively. I keep hearing things that suggest Brady's basically the shadow GM already, and that they're just waiting for DD's contract to expire, to make the news official. 

5 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

If John gives DD autonomy to run the team and lets DD pick the next manager. Start getting into the Latin American talent. Need to be in the international market. Buck and Brady need to go. I would support DD 100%. Having read what I did yesterday and getting the Manny deal done. 

Gotta admit... I gained respect for Dan quickly after he got here. In recent months, I started to wonder... The Chris Davis signing was a true head-scratcher for me, although I didn't hate the signing. I loved CD as a player and Oriole. But the deal itself seemed almost ridiculous. I don't know how much involvement Dan had in that deal. Regardless, it made me wonder. 

But then I heard him talking about a vision... a vision I think we all believe in. One that involves signing international talent... improved scouting... and incorporating data-driven decision-making into the mix. It synched up with what I've heard of John Angelos on the radio... and made me think they might be getting on the same page. 

6 minutes ago, Bradysburns said:

Gotta admit... I gained respect for Dan quickly after he got here. In recent months, I started to wonder... The Chris Davis signing was a true head-scratcher for me, although I didn't hate the signing. I loved CD as a player and Oriole. But the deal itself seemed almost ridiculous. I don't know how much involvement Dan had in that deal. Regardless, it made me wonder. 

But then I heard him talking about a vision... a vision I think we all believe in. One that involves signing international talent... improved scouting... and incorporating data-driven decision-making into the mix. It synched up with what I've heard of John Angelos on the radio... and made me think they might be getting on the same page.

All of the bolded, Duquette talked about doing when he came here.  He even hired one of the best international scouts, Fred Ferriera, to head up that department.  About a year after his tenure, we didn't hear anything at all about those things.  It sounds like the Orioles are finally catching up to what Duquette wanted to do when he first got here. 

1 minute ago, ThomasTomasz said:

All of the bolded, Duquette talked about doing when he came here.  He even hired one of the best international scouts, Fred Ferriera, to head up that department.  About a year after his tenure, we didn't hear anything at all about those things.  It sounds like the Orioles are finally catching up to what Duquette wanted to do when he first got here. 

And maybe they can keep him here and actually let him implement what he wants to do.

7 hours ago, clapdiddy said:

Personally, I'd like to see it happen.    

Judging by Andrew Friedman's comments, it sounds like Dan was leading the Manny trade, and seemed to handle it very well.   I think we got the best return we could.   

Dan's own comments about changes in the organization sounded very encouraging and like he'd be happy to play a role in it.   

I'd like to hand him the keys and see what he could do with a budget number and letting him have the autonomy to make personnel decisions. 

2 hours ago, Flacco Machado said:

"...as we attempt to reach our next competitive window."

Another quote that sounds like someone who has been told he's coming back.

Yes, it does. What's interesting is to contrast that with how he was talking for a good year after the Toronto/DD courtship controversy. I remember him talking about the Orioles like they were another organization, and he was a commentator or something. "They have to figure out what's happening with the pitching," etc. That's not a direct quote, but he sounded like a guy with one foot out the door. 

Now... he's clearly in on major strategic planning, which would not be the case if he were "already gone." They probably wouldn't want to include a lame duck in sensitive player conversations, etc. Of course, I'm just wildly theorizing here... but I don't think DD lost his talent as a GM in the past 24 months, that's for sure. 

All that said, I have assumed he was gone ever since the Toronto thing... but not, not as sure. 

Time to move on. Ubaldo, Gallardo, nixing MGon while going into the season with a depleted starting rotation, not hitting on really any starting pitchers since early in his tenure as an Oriole, being duped by Parra and giving up Davies for him...the list goes on.

This team needs some fresh guidance. He harped on improving starting pitching and OBP, but this club has been anything such over the last few years. This team has been essentially a beer league softball club predicated on rarely hitting 3 run homers, having subpar defense and extremely poor team speed with little ability to manufacture runs all the while having average at best SP (or well below) and (the one thing done well until recently) an elite/above average bullpen.

I'm sorry, I don't want to see that same old recipe again from Duquette. It's tired and this team needs a new direction. One that actually takes defense seriously otherwise our starting rotation will always has a disadvantage.

On 7/20/2018 at 12:22 PM, Natty said:

If your winning percentage is less than .300. It's time to fire everyone. 

I feel like I’m taking crazy pills reading through this. We had a good run, but it is time to make changes. We can’t change ownership, but we need to clean house everywhere else. Buck, Brady, and Duquette all need to go and start fresh with a new group in the front office.

Just now, Jurczak said:

I feel like I’m taking crazy pills reading through this. We had a good run, but it is time to make changes. We can’t change ownership, but we need to clean house everywhere else. Buck, Brady, and Duquette all need to go and start fresh with a new group in the front office.

It kinda, sorta looks like we did.

8 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Time to move on. Ubaldo, Gallardo, nixing MGon while going into the season with a depleted starting rotation, not hitting on really any starting pitchers since early in his tenure as an Oriole, being duped by Parra and giving up Davies for him...the list goes on.

This team needs some fresh guidance. He harped on improving starting pitching and OBP, but this club has been anything such over the last few years. This team has been essentially a beer league softball club predicated on rarely hitting 3 run homers, having subpar defense and extremely poor team speed with little ability to manufacture runs all the while having average at best SP (or well below) and (the one thing done well until recently) an elite/above average bullpen.

I'm sorry, I don't want to see that same old recipe again from Duquette. It's tired and this team needs a new direction. One that actually takes defense seriously otherwise our starting rotation will always has a disadvantage.

He hasn't even been making many of the calls with Peter Angelos at the helm. He helped build up the longevity of what happened in Boston and back in Montreal.

I am all for it as long as we let him for what he wants to do, including participating in the IFA market which is what DD was known for prior to coming. But Peter didn't allow him to which has helped put us in this mess.

Archived