Buck - "I don't know if I'd use that word [rebuilding]"

TonySoprano

1 hour ago, thatbearflies said:

I truly hope that he was just criticizing the semantics of the word choice because with the way this team is playing, it doesn't look like the fans are buying anything, especially tickets.

If Buck isn't on board with the rebuild than it's time for him to pack up his desk. He needs to understand, reality dictates a rebuild. It's entirely possible he is just portraying to the media that he isn't giving his guys and excuse to lay down and they still want to win, but if even a part of him is going through his cellphone contact list, scrolling past Cody Rasmus, looking for more aged veterans with a busted wheel, he is going to need to be shown the door. 

Read the article, nothing suggests that Buck isn't in for a rebuild. The thread title is misleading.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

Those wanting Buck gone I give you the Washington Nationals and Dave Martinez.  The grass not always greener on the other side.

Two rookie managers in our division, and both could win 100 games.  

Read the article, nothing suggests that Buck isn't in for a rebuild. The thread title is misleading.

No, the thread title isn't misleading.  It's a direct quote from today's pregame.  The article is what he said yesterday.

1 minute ago, TonySoprano said:

Two rookie managers in our division, and both could win 100 games.  

Having talent to manage helps.   But it does seem they’re doing a good job, as is Kapler for the Phillies.   

Just now, Frobby said:

Having talent to manage helps.   But it does seem they’re doing a good job, as is Kapler for the Phillies.   

Kapler had a lot of people scratching their head with his bullpen use the first month.  At the time, his tenure looked like it wouldn't last.

1 minute ago, TonySoprano said:

Kapler had a lot of people scratching their head with his bullpen use the first month.  At the time, his tenure looked like it wouldn't last.

Yes, but from what I’ve read he quickly adjusted and is drawing very good reviews.   He also admitted his mistakes.

2 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

In the pre-game, Melewski asked about "rebuilding."  Someone suggested "readjusting" instead and Buck replied, "I don't think the fans will buy that."

Dan told 105.7 yesterday it would go "into 2019 and may also continue in 2020.”  ( https://1057thefan.radio.com/articles/orioles-gm-dan-duquette-joins-big-bad-morning-show )

Melewski - http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2018/07/showalter-pregame-britton-on-trade-talks-more-manny-clubhouse-react.html

Well hell Buck won't be in Baltimore next season anyway. Hopefully not.

Reading comprehension:. A REPORTER SUGGESTED CALLING IT A READJUSTING, AND BUCK SAID FANS WOULD NOT BUY IT.

That means Buck is not denying the O's are rebuilding, and in fact implied calling it what it is: a rebuild. Don't know where he said or even implied he wasn't on board with a rebuild.

3 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

Looking at the original post, is it the word  “readjusting”  that someone else suggested as the term Buck says folks would not buy into?  

Yeah, Buck was asking for suggestions for a word other than "rebuilding."  "Readjusting" didn't pass the smell test.?

Reading comprehension:. A REPORTER SUGGESTED CALLING IT A READJUSTING, AND BUCK SAID FANS WOULD NOT BUY IT.

That means Buck is not denying the O's are rebuilding, and in fact implied calling it what it is: a rebuild. Don't know where he said or even implied he wasn't on board with a rebuild.

Can I help you with yours?  Melewski said "rebuilding," which Buck also rejected.  

3 hours ago, cnmilton said:

Good news if Buck's o board with a rebuild. I just hope he's not in charge of it.

a lot of times, when a subject that Buck isn't 100 percent comfortable, he will change the subject slightly by asking a question back to the reporters. It sounds like Meleski asked about the Orioles rebuild, and Buck responded with a "Can we use a different term then rebuild"? which led to the "readjusting" term (probably suggested by Rich Dubroff)

The meat of the response is this:

“We’re excited about the direction we’ll be going now,” Showalter said. “I’ve done this a few times. If you embrace it and we’ll be consistent to the message and what we’ll try to do. (Want to) put something together here that everyone can be proud of. In our situation, we wish the industry allowed you to keep guys like Manny. But we were able to acquire a lot of good players as opposed to a comp pick and that is exciting.”

This statement, made by Buck, shows that he is, in fact, on board with a rebuild. 

Archived