John Angelos and Adam Jones dined, discussed Orioles and the community of Baltimore's future

Greg Pappas

Just now, Es4M11 said:

If I am understanding you correctly, you are saying Jones is no better than Davis right now today? That's a pretty indefensible position to take.

You aren't understanding me correctly.

I don't think he's better than Mullins or Stewart right now.

Jones is playing at a replacement level right now.  You move him to right, where his arm doesn't play, and you help the defensive numbers a bit but his bat will look worse there.

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Eventually?  When Davis finally hangs it up?

You are asking me what I would do, so let's not muddy the water with what the Orioles are going to do. I WOULD sit Davis on the end of the bench every night, as the 25th man, if I couldn't outright release him tomorrow.

Just now, Es4M11 said:

You are asking me what I would do, so let's not muddy the water with what the Orioles are going to do. I WOULD sit Davis on the end of the bench every night, as the 25th man, if I couldn't outright release him tomorrow.

Well I would trade him for Trout after getting the Angels to eat about 10M of his salary.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

You aren't understanding me correctly.

I don't think he's better than Mullins or Stewart right now.

Jones is playing at a replacement level right now.  You move him to right, where his arm doesn't play, and you help the defensive numbers a bit but his bat will look worse there.

Okay, thanks for clarification.

Jones might not be better than those two. In the same vein, those two plus Hays may not be better than Jones at the MLB level - we really don't know. So before we hand our entire outfield over to a bunch of unproven kids, I don't see the harm in letting AJ come back, and possibly finish his career here, while providing some valuable leadership to what will eventually be a very young team.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Well I would trade him for Trout after getting the Angels to eat about 10M of his salary.

You might just convince the Angels front office to do it too...so long as you can slip some peyote into their morning coffee.

When the trading is done, you will likely have another kid outfielder to play. Maybe Verdugo. In that scenario there is nowhere for Adam to play in bird land. I want a young rebuilding team, no space for sentimental attachment.

2 minutes ago, theobird said:

When the trading is done, you will likely have another kid outfielder to play. Maybe Verdugo. In that scenario there is nowhere for Adam to play in bird land. I want a young rebuilding team, no space for sentimental attachment.

Well that would certainly change the calculus.

Just now, Es4M11 said:

What I was implying is make the kids contend among themselves for the remaining two outfield spots. Jones will have the other - he is still a capable player, even more so in a COF. The comparison to Davis is only valid in that they are both veterans.

The problem is we still have to shoehorn Trumbo and Mancini into some OF games, and then you have Mountcastle whose bat will be ready in a year but who may be forced to the OF as well.    And McKenna might be ready by 2020. All that plus Mullins, Stewart and Hays.   I agree not all will pan out (or move as quickly as we hope), but I just don’t want them blocked, and I don’t see Adam being happy playing part time while the young guys take their lumps.   

38 minutes ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

It makes sense that his trade value wouldn't be that high, but I hope we can still get something because I think he could be sneaky value to a contending team. 

He's been pretty damn consistent year over year and had a good year last year. We have a miserable team this year so it's probably been a bit tough to be motivated at the same level. I wouldn't be be surprised if he has some decent juice left in the tank as a corner outfielder and I assume we are leveraging that in trade talks. 

I totally agree. I think whoever ends up with him is lucky to have him. I'm obviously biased but he is one of my favorite players in baseball. I just don't know how much of his value as a leader or all around fun guy to have around translates to actual trade value. I'd bet if he makes it to a contender we see his performance go up...hopefully there's a GM out there that also believes that.

42 minutes ago, oriole said:

I just don't know how much of his value as a leader or all around fun guy to have around translates to actual trade value.

If you ask Jim Leyland, who has gone out of his way to praise Jones for his leadership, I bet it matters at least a little bit.

8 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I feel exactly the opposite.  It's going to be disappointing if they don't get traded.

You of all people should understand full context. ?.  I said it definitely needs to happen. I am going to have a tough time watching them play for other teams, is what I meant.   

8 hours ago, atomic said:

Yeah Jones leaving would be sad.  But as he is a free agent after the season and the current games aren't worth watching anyway don't see a reason to hold onto him. Hopefully we can get him back after the year.  He sounds like he wants to come back but Orioles management seems good at screwing stuff up. 

Didn’t say we should hold onto him. Get whatever you can for him. I will be OK with the two to three-year deal for him is a corner outfielder if it doesn’t block someone else.  

But watching Jones run around in and Indians uniform and Machado in a Yankees uniform is going to sting a little bit. 

Archived