John Angelos and Adam Jones dined, discussed Orioles and the community of Baltimore's future

Greg Pappas

6 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

This seems odd to me.  If we're looking to deal him, which is likely, you'd think that we would have talked with Adam to gauge his interest in waiving the NTC. 

I read him saying that ideally the Orioles would trade him this year and bring him back this offseason. So I doubt that is an issue. 

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

This seems odd to me.  If we're looking to deal him, which is likely, you'd think that we would have talked with Adam to gauge his interest in waiving the NTC. 

2 minutes ago, weams said:

I read him saying that ideally the Orioles would trade him this year and bring him back this offseason. So I doubt that is an issue. 

My guess is the O’s don’t want to have that conversation with Adam unless they know there’s serious interest in him from another team.  

1 hour ago, weams said:

I hope so.  I would love if we gave him the gift of chasing a ring this year. 

I disagree;

Personally I think Adam would be a very good mentor both on and off the field. He can show the young players the proper way to conduct themselves and how to be professionals. He's the only leadership player left on the active roster

49 minutes ago, cnmilton said:

I disagree;

Personally I think Adam would be a very good mentor both on and off the field. He can show the young players the proper way to conduct themselves and how to be professionals. He's the only leadership player left on the active roster

I understand your point, truly, but with as many young outfielders as we have, including Mullins and Diaz, I don't see us re-signing Adam to take a spot away from the younger talent.  Rebuilding teams get young and start fresh.

The O's reportedly have had talks with the Indians about Jones, but not that serious.  Maybe the talks aren't that serious at this point, but if they become serious as 7/31 approaches, then that is a conversation that needs to happen.

And of all the vets the O's will trade, AJ seems to be the one that is most likely to be re-signed.

9 hours ago, orioles119 said:

The O's reportedly have had talks with the Indians about Jones, but not that serious.  Maybe the talks aren't that serious at this point, but if they become serious as 7/31 approaches, then that is a conversation that needs to happen.

And of all the vets the O's will trade, AJ seems to be the one that is most likely to be re-signed.

I can see both sides of this.  I think Adam would be a great leader for the rebuilding Birds, and it would be cool if he stayed in our uniform for his entire career. (I know about Seattle but that doesn’t really count.). But I also get that there’s not really much point in signing him for a team that won’t compete again for a few years.  

That said, I don’t imagine there is much return for Adam in a trade, so do we keep him and make him a qualifying offer after the season, knowing full well he may accept it?

If they resign Adam, to me it is a sign nothing in management has changed.  Adam has been great but he is not what this team needs going forward.  He is an aging free swinging poor defensive outfielder in decline earning a lot of money.  Moving him to right field blocks guys who should be playing and he is just going to get worse all around for lots of money that should be spent elsewhere.  Resigning him would not be a good baseball business decision aiding a youth movement centered on a competitive window starting 2020 that should put an emphasis on OBP for one thing.  If they resign him, it would be an emotional decision and one I do not think DD would consider, but Buck would...  What happens with Adam going forward may be a litmus test that reflects if things are changing and who is really in control.

8 minutes ago, Cavspider said:

If they resign Adam, to me it is a sign nothing in management has changed.  Adam has been great but he is not what this team needs going forward.  He is an aging free swinging poor defensive outfielder in decline earning a lot of money.  Moving him to right field blocks guys who should be playing and he is just going to get worse all around for lots of money that should be spent elsewhere.  Resigning him would not be a good baseball business decision aiding a youth movement centered on a competitive window starting 2020 that should put an emphasis on OBP for one thing.  If they resign him, it would be an emotional decision and one I do not think DD would consider, but Buck would...  What happens with Adam going forward may be a litmus test that reflects if things are changing and who is really in control.

Agree all around, but, do you risk the QO on him? If not we’ll get nothing for Adam except a limited return from Cleveland.

3 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

Agree all around, but, do you risk the QO on him? If not we’ll get nothing for Adam except a limited return from Cleveland.

Jones has already stated he would like to come back.  No way you risk a QO.  He might not get 2/18 on the open market.

Archived