John Angelos and Adam Jones dined, discussed Orioles and the community of Baltimore's future

Greg Pappas

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This Jones situation is a symptom of the slipshod fashion this organization has been run. In a well-run organization, if the GM all but told a guy, 'hey, you're not coming back next year', that guy would be willing to accept a trade. But in this organization Jones can say right back to Duquette "who cares what you say, your contract is up after this year too. Who's to say you're going to be making that decision'. I also seem to recall a dinner Jones had with Peter or one of the Angelos a while back. What was Jones told during that dinner? This organization seems to be trying to clean things up but they're still a mess and it's going to cost them a prospect or two here. Great prospects? No but you never know what a young player can develop into and this club needs as many as they can get. 

2 minutes ago, Ripken said:

If he honestly believes/knows he won't be here next year there's really no reason to finish the season here either.

You can look at it the other way also. He can spend 2 more months here, not have to uproot his family and finish will a definite goodbye. 

2 minutes ago, vab said:

This Jones situation is a symptom of the slipshod fashion this organization has been run. In a well-run organization, if the GM all but told a guy, 'hey, you're not coming back next year', that guy would be willing to accept a trade. But in this organization Jones can say right back to Duquette "who cares what you say, your contract is up after this year too. Who's to say you're going to be making that decision'. I also seem to recall a dinner Jones had with Peter or one of the Angelos a while back. What was Jones told during that dinner? This organization seems to be trying to clean things up but they're still a mess and it's going to cost them a prospect or two here. Great prospects? No but you never know what a young player can develop into and this club needs as many as they can get. 

If he felt he was coming back that may have lead him to accept a trade. 

2 minutes ago, vab said:

Umm...he has ten-five rights, he has the RIGHT to make the decision has nothing to do with the organization.  They can't do much of anything to force a trade here. 

3 minutes ago, vab said:

Stuff like this happens every season.

Some guys waive it, some guys don't.

It isn't signifying a larger issue.

3 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

You can look at it the other way also. He can spend 2 more months here, not have to uproot his family and finish will a definite goodbye. 

It's two-three months.  He doesn't "have" to uproot his family.  Particularly if he was only going to be in Philly.  It's what a two hour drive?  I've know folks that had commutes to work longer than that.

I don't get the people hating on Jones or the organization here. Adam has a young family and it's no secret he's found a home in the Baltimore area. He'd apparently rather make his own decisions on his future AFTER this season is over, and he signed a contract that gives him those rights. The Orioles seemed to have asked if he'd waive them - which is all they can do - and so far he's said no. It's his prerogative.

2 minutes ago, vab said:

Club sending a signal. Take the deal, Jonesy. 

Jones can play Right Field the rest of the season.  If they sit him for spite I think they will lose a lot of fans.  And I certainly don't see that happening with Buck as the manager. 

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

It's two-three months.  He doesn't "have" to uproot his family.  Particularly if he was only going to be in Philly.  It's what a two hour drive?  I've know folks that had commutes to work longer than that.

And they chose those commutes. Adam has a choice, too.

7 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

No, I get it, but he doesn't have to move his family at all for a couple months and it's a chance to play baseball that matters.  We all love that he's loyal, but for all parties involved I'd like to see him go now.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You know what I mean. Good grief. He will come Home..  half the time to his house and his wife and kids. 

Just now, atomic said:

Jones can play Right Field the rest of the season.  If they sit him for spite I think they will lose a lot of fans.  And I certainly don't see that happening with Buck as the manager. 

There'd be nothing to be gained by sitting him out of spite. Stewart is the only other young outfielder that you could really make a case for getting time this year, and he could just as easily play left or DH. 

Archived