John Angelos and Adam Jones dined, discussed Orioles and the community of Baltimore's future

Greg Pappas

Yeah the "will uproot the family" line doesn't really pass the smell test. Jones is probably not happy he wasn't given an extension earlier. Duquette seemed pretty upset with him today, wouldn't be surprised at all if he isn't even given an actual offer next year.

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Well yeah, Jones can do whatever he wants.  But moving to Philly for a couple months isn’t the worst thing in the world.

Not exactly on par with a marine being deployed, or having to relocate to the west coast for a work assignment.

hqdefault.jpg

All in all, I'd rather be here than in Philadelphia.  ?

Just now, Frobby said:

Your kids aren’t exactly rooted in deep relationships with teachers or friends when they’re four.  Also, the season ends at the end of September, so leave them in if you really care that much.    

Again, I’m fine with whatever Jones wants to do.   But moving his kids isn’t much of an issue.   Besides, I believe I read that Jones spends the winter in San Diego.   Isn’t that uprooting the kids?

I appreciate that Jones is a loyal Orioles, but I can’t believe he doesn’t want the chance to play for a ring.

Maybe it’s a negotiating ploy because he doesn’t want to play for Philly.  There are other teams with a much better chance to win the World Series.  

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I appreciate that Jones is a loyal Orioles, but I can’t believe he doesn’t want the chance to play for a ring.

Maybe it’s a negotiating ploy because he doesn’t want to play for Philly.  There are other teams with a much better chance to win the World Series.  

Loyality is a two way street.  When your employer tells you they are going in another direction with younger players and your probably are not going to be here next year, loyality wears thin fast.

26 minutes ago, accinfo said:

Can't this also be a negotiating position as well?  Haven't players been paid to accept a trade?

Players have held teams hostage over option years. Adams only leverage is his 10-5 rights which he has earned. He went through alot of rough years here in Baltimore. If he wants to finish out the year in Baltimore...hes earned that chance. I have no issues with it. I'd rather watch AJ finish out his possible last games as an Oriole over the marginal at best prospect we might get. 

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm getting bent out of shape over your poor terminology because it belittles folks who do have to uproot their family or deal with real separation.

My god. Uprooted means moving someone from their home or familiar location.

I certainly was not trying to imply that pro athletes are like 99% of the world.  

Jones can’t get money out of this. 

-Early in the month he tells Gary Thorne that he seemed to indicate he could get traded and still comeback in the offseason but it wasn’t just up to him but his family. 

-He has dinner with John Angelos in Toronto. About what, who knows.

-Earlier this week he indicates on a MASN interview it is important for Mullins and young players to get at bats, not as important where they play defense. Pretty evident he does not want to leave CF. 

-No shows at a season ticket holder event. 

-DD speaks and their seems to be tension. 

The Orioles it sounds like do not want to bring him back. Jones doesn’t seem happy about what is going on. At the end of the day the only control Jones has is whether he stays here the rest of the year or not. 

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Jones can’t get money out of this. 

-Early in the month he tells Gary Thorne that he seemed to indicate he could get traded and still comeback in the offseason but it wasn’t just up to him but his family. 

-He has dinner with John Angelos in Toronto. About what, who knows.

-Earlier this week he indicates on a MASN interview it is important for Mullins and young players to get at bats, not as important where they play defense. Pretty evident he does not want to leave CF. 

-No shows at a season ticket holder event. 

-DD speaks and their seems to be tension. 

The Orioles it sounds like do not want to bring him back. Jones doesn’t seem happy about what is going on. At the end of the day the only control Jones has is whether he stays here the rest of the year or not. 

Sums it up pretty well. I'd prefer they trade Jones simply so that Mullins and Stewart get some time up here. Jones isn't a CF anymore and doesn't want to admit it.

8 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

Didn't Alomar live in the Hotel in the Skydome for a long time after he got traded to the Jays? Has nothing to do with Jones, thread just made me think of it.

https://www.si.com/vault/1992/06/08/126632/home-suite-home-blue-jay-second-baseman-roberto-alomar-is-tearing-up-the-league-by-hitting-em-where-he-lives----in-the-toronto-skydome

17 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm getting bent out of shape over your poor terminology because it belittles folks who do have to uproot their family or deal with real separation.

"Belittles folks". Seriously? 

Real separation is relative. Not everybody is going to be in the military away from their family...or uprooting their family to a completely different country. That's obviously the extreme. But we're talking about ballplayers here. 

But for Adam, there are a multitude of scenarios at play here. Yes, he could essentially say, "I could be out of Baltimore for the next 3 months, I'd have to move my family with me if this situation happens in order to see them as much as I want....or I could commute up and down I95 for 2 hours or more each way depending on where I live....or I could just veto the deal."

And uprooting is the word I'd use here. I'm not sure what more toned down version you'd use, but this isn't worth the effort any longer.

I'll just end it saying that Jones is a father and a family man and he clearly sees this as an inconvenience. And he's the only one who can truly judge what is worth it or not for his family.

Just now, LookitsPuck said:

"Belittles folks". Seriously? 

Real separation is relative. Not everybody is going to be in the military away from their family...or uprooting their family to a completely different country. That's obviously the extreme. But we're talking about ballplayers here. 

But for Adam, there are a multitude of scenarios at play here. Yes, he could essentially say, "I could be out of Baltimore for the next 3 months, I'd have to move my family with me if this situation happens in order to see them as much as I want....or I could commute up and down I95 for 2 hours or more each way depending on where I live....or I could just veto the deal."

And uprooting is the word I'd use here. I'm not sure what more toned down version you'd use, but this isn't worth the effort any longer.

I'll just end it saying that Jones is a father and a family man and he clearly sees this as an inconvenience. And he's the only one who can truly judge what is worth it or not for his family.

He didn't seem to think it would be an inconvenience a couple months before he knew he wasn't being resigned, in fact, he called being traded to a contended the "ideal scenario".

Archived