John Angelos and Adam Jones dined, discussed Orioles and the community of Baltimore's future

Greg Pappas

Just now, amdcpus said:

He didn't seem to think it would be an inconvenience a couple months before he knew he wasn't being resigned, in fact, he called being traded to a contended the "ideal scenario".

I'd need to see the exact situation you're referencing. But it's a fluid situation. Life changes. Opinions change. He has been marketing his November event for charity recently. Another good reason for him to stick around.

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, amdcpus said:

He didn't seem to think it would be an inconvenience a couple months before he knew he wasn't being resigned, in fact, he called being traded to a contended the "ideal scenario".

An ideal scenario if they brought him back. They don’t want to. 

3 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

I'd need to see the exact situation you're referencing. But it's a fluid situation. Life changes. Opinions change. He has been marketing his November event for charity recently. Another good reason for him to stick around.

Ball players are paid a lot for a number of reasons, minor ones of which are the inconveniences of frequent travel and possible trades. 

Some players, however, earn the right to say "no" when certain conditions are met. Adam's earned that right, seems that should be the end of the story. 

6 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Only 3 weeks ago

Go to 3:10 for the question and answer

5 minutes ago, amdcpus said:

Only 3 weeks ago

I'm taking that interview differently than you, I think. Three things stood out to me:

"Can't do nothing without my permission."

"Would have to talk to my wife about anything."

"...what the Yankees did with [Aroldis] Chapman: trade him away, get great pieces and then re-sign him."

So, I think he was very clear he's not going to rubber stamp anything. And his wife (and his family) have a say. He's also saying that it's probably best to go to a contending team instead of, say, the Marlins/Reds/etc. But he wants to be resigned and come back. That doesn't scream to me that he is knocking down the door to get out of town. If anything I read the exact opposite.

To me, the question with Adam solely goes to whether or not the Orioles management thinks a veteran presence is important right now and who you want that to be.  This also goes to whether or not you eat Davis and Trumbo contracts.  I love Adam.  He has been my favorite Oriole durIng this era.  If you think you want a vet around I pick him.  If you don’t, get rid of Davis and Trumbo too.

39 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Your kids aren’t exactly rooted in deep relationships with teachers or friends when they’re four.  Also, the season ends at the end of September, so leave them in if you really care that much.    

Again, I’m fine with whatever Jones wants to do.   But moving his kids isn’t much of an issue.   Besides, I believe I read that Jones spends the winter in San Diego.   Isn’t that uprooting the kids?

That is a  completely ridiculous statement. When my daughters best friend since she was a baby left day care my daughter was three she was deeply upset for many months.  Even now at 4 when her new best friend (Who she also knew when she was a baby) goes on vacation for 2 weeks she is upset.  

Also he is going with his family then. Perhaps his in-laws help with the kids during the season.  Who knows anyway it is none of our business. It is his decision and frankly all the crap people are saying on here is pathetic and makes me think you just aren't very decent people.   It is his decision and it is his life.  Who knows what Manny or Zach would have done if they had earned the right to veto a trade.   Both seemed upset when they were traded from reports.  

8 minutes ago, amdcpus said:

Only 3 weeks ago

Adam knows his days are numbered here. His wife is from here, his in laws live here. 

Is it entirely possible knowing all that he has choose to finish his time here on his terms and simply enjoy his last 2 months here?

At the end of the day Adam has the right to do what he thinks is best for him. That may not be what is best for the Orioles. 

The Orioles still want to do what is best for them in terms of what they can control. Tha may be Jones being moved out of CF whether he likes it or not. Buck is in a tough spot here.  

I'm not sure how you don't lose respect for an athlete who would rather stick with a 115 loss team than take a two month shot at a championship.

Either way he is a free agent in the offseason and has plenty of time to find the right contract/team for himself and his family.

38 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

I'm not sure how you don't lose respect for an athlete who would rather stick with a 115 loss team than take a two month shot at a championship.

Either way he is a free agent in the offseason and has plenty of time to find the right contract/team for himself and his family.

Lol. And this is why players should never give teams hometown discounts. Give a team a discount and then they’ll trade you somewhere you don’t want to be. Well Adam has his 10-5 rights. He earned that. 

2 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

Pulling a kid out of school that they’re already accustomed to...as well as uprooting the family. Why? He can join a contender next year. Jones has earned the 10/5. Its well within his rights and honestly Duquette should take the high road. 

I like what Dan is doing here, but this post is spin on.

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Lol. And this is why players should never give teams hometown discounts. Give a team a discount and then they’ll trade you somewhere you don’t want to be. Well Adam has his 10-5 rights. He earned that.  

Didn't say he didn't earn the right, just don't understand how a competitor doesn't want to take what may be his only chance remaining for a championship. Not sure I want that player on my re-building or any other team.

Archived