John Angelos and Adam Jones dined, discussed Orioles and the community of Baltimore's future

Greg Pappas

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, TonySoprano said:

Trade him and don't bring him back.  Having said that, I fully expect the Angelo family will bid against themselves and keep him.

5yr/$145 million should be what it takes. Maybe $25 million deferred till he is 72.Get her done.A great deal for the Orioles and a leader.Keep him in center for the five years since his range is at his peak 

18 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

5yr/$145 million should be what it takes. Maybe $25 million deferred till he is 72.Get her done.A great deal for the Orioles and a leader.Keep him in center for the five years since his range is at his peak 

I know this is supposed to be funny, but why am I weeping uncontrollably from reading this?

I used to think that Angelos had "his guys" that he'd resign (and not trade) regardless of the circumstances. However, after Nick Markakis wasn't resigned, I'm inclined to think he can be convinced otherwise. Markakis was essentially the Golden Child to Angelos.

So, I think the right circumstances, we'd see Jones traded. And hopefully those circumstances are a club 40 games under .500 on July 7th.

1 hour ago, ScGO's said:

I'd take him back if he agreed to play RF on 3 years 35 mil, but he'd reject that. But he might not get a better offer.  I still think its a bearish market next year.  

He won't come close to 3/35. He is washed up and a defensive liability wherever he plays

The O's are the only team in baseball that would offer him a 3 year deal.

55 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

He won't come close to 3/35. He is washed up and a defensive liability wherever he plays

The O's are the only team in baseball that would offer him a 3 year deal.

He's not washed up.   He could play corner outfielder well enough.   And has been consistent with his bat his entire career.   

2 hours ago, ScGO's said:

I'd take him back if he agreed to play RF on 3 years 35 mil, but he'd reject that. But he might not get a better offer.  I still think its a bearish market next year.  

Anywhere in the outfield but CF.  DH even.  I'd like to see him back for another three years as well and I don't care if it's the "smart" play or not.  

9 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I will be doing shots when he passes.  To drown my sorrow of course.

That's a horrible thing to say.

And if you try to say it's anything more than coincidence that I happened to open a bottle of Southern Comfort that had been sitting unopened on my liquor shelf for more than a decade the day,Robert Irsay died, I will completely deny it.

10 hours ago, ScGO's said:

I am not sure Jones is worth 3/35 for his 33-35 years.   He is currently 282/309/432/741.   And he will get worse as he ages.

Jones' last 6 years by fWAR: 4.9, 4.7, 3.4, 1.9, 1.7, 0.2 (so far). He has a .741 OPS, which would he his lowest since 2008. He is the slowest regular CF in baseball by sprint speed. He is slower than the average RF and LF. He and Herrera are actually the only two CF in baseball that are slower than league average runners among all positions. His walk rate is the second lowest of his career. His power has declined. He's about to turn 33. 

He's a salary dump if traded. He's also to perfect candidate for an extension for this front office. 

Archived