Schoop won’t mope

Frobby

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Agreed.    By the way, last year Schoop had a 51-game stretch of 1.025 OPS, during which he clubbed 16 homers.   He’s got a ways to go to match that for “the best baseball of his life.”

His OPS this month - 20 games - is 1.046.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

While we will never know for sure, I don't think that they are necessarily related.

Schoop has gone on tears in the past, and (as far as we know) did not have much to feel glum about during said tears.

He appears to me to be a (generally) streaky offensive player, who doesn't/didn't let the departure of one of his best friends bring down his commitment to his profession.

o

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Agreed. By the way, last year Schoop had a 51-game stretch of 1.025 OPS, during which he clubbed 16 homers. Hes got a ways to go to match that for the best baseball of his life.

o

His best season to-date overall, of a still very young career.

o

When I see him hitting the way he is now, I can imagine him becoming more consistent and selective (well, maybe) and putting up big numbers the next few years. And the Orioles  can afford to extend him.

But much of his value will come in years when the Orioles can't expect to be competitive. I think the questions are how much value he'll have left in 2020 and beyond, and where you can play him at that stage of his career.  Or:

Second sacker Jonathon Schoop
Right now,  our best offensive hope.

Don’t know how long there he can cope
It’s his range – he’s a big guy, and no antelope.

His top speed for others would be a lope.
But his throws zip by like a frozen rope.  

When rebuilt, could the O's have a place for Schoop?
Maybe third base, though many say “Nope.”

10 hours ago, ScGO's said:

He's good, but I just don't see it.  I don't think he's going to age well.  Defensive could drop dramatically after age 30. Need to change the philosophy of the team and go with OBP guys.

He is only 26.  If you but out the arbitration and give him 3 or 4 years more he will be playing at 27-31.  Those are not the years you usually see a drop off.  He might take something like 4 years at 60 million and he’d hit free agency at 31.  

On 7/24/2018 at 10:09 PM, bpilktree67 said:

I know the smart move is to trade him but I would still love DD to go to his agent and offer a $5 year deal for $75-$85 million and make him the face of franchise.  

I don't know for sure how I feel about trading him or extending him. I'll let men smarter than me make that decision. 

I know baseball is a business, but after having one of the best weeks in his career, what does School do on his off day? Heads home to clean up his community. Yes, he skipped a signing session and FanFest. He also did this. From his Instagram, because I'm sure I won't link it correctly. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bl3HnHpBxIF/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1qieuatrazqj9

6 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Interesting that he's having such a good month - while having ZERO walks and 19 SO's in 100 at bats.    

There are a lot of guys who tend to walk less when they’re scorching hot.    Often, that’s what ultimately cools them off, as they eventually start thinking they can hit anything.  

1 hour ago, Ruzious said:

Interesting that he's having such a good month - while having ZERO walks and 19 SO's in 100 at bats.    

I agree.

But, since he is now carrying my fantasy team into 2nd place with his bat, I will take it as long as he can dish it out. :)

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

I agree.

But, since he is now carrying my fantasy team into 2nd place with his bat, I will take it as long as he can dish it out. :)

I hope he leads you to the championship, but what Frobby said makes a lot of sense.  I obviously wouldn't bench him, but I probably wouldn't count on an all-star level August.  Why would anyone pitch to him in that O's lineup - especially when they know he's not particularly selective and will likely be even less selective than usual?  And yet, pitchers do appear to be pitching to him.      

Just now, Ruzious said:

I hope he leads you to the championship, but what Frobby said makes a lot of sense.  I obviously wouldn't bench him, but I probably wouldn't count on an all-star level August.  Why would anyone pitch to him in that O's lineup - especially when they know he's not particularly selective and will likely be even less selective than usual?  And yet, pitchers do appear to be pitching to him.      

Very true.

But, then again, the entire team is hitting right now, even frickin Joey Rickard. :)

Archived