As we dismantle, the thing that worries me

brianod

3 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

If the Orioles had held on to Hader and Ed-Rod, and had used the money they spent on Cashner or Cobb to sign one or two guys who could hit and maybe even catch the ball,  they would still be a bad team this year. Those trades are a very small part of the team's current problem, IMO, and I would have made them  to improve the team in 2014.  

The problem is that the Orioles, at best a middle-tier team in revenues with a thin farm system based in large part on their unwillingness to invest in international free agents, vastly overdid the allocation of their resources to winning now, or in the short term. They not only traded some promising prospects for veterans but also spent heavily on stupid contracts to retain their own declining veterans well past their primes, skimped on scouting and the front office, and avoided investing in young international talent (even trying to use their allocated slot money as a source of revenue rather than as a way to invest in the team's future).  

Everything I've read and heard suggests that this extreme strategy came from the owner's desperation to make the team a winner while he would still be around to enjoy it,  his arrogance and stubbornness in believing he knew how to build a winning team, his selfish lack of concern for the franchise's future, his penchant for listening to and rewarding sycophants who would support his view and his tendency to ignore (or humiliate or send packing) those with differing views.  That view of Peter Angelos's role in creating this mess may be exaggerated, or even wrong, but it's impossible to know because he's also too gutless to tell the media out the fans about his role in the team's strategy or decisions (or about anything else) and apparently too intimidating and prone to reprisal to allow anyone else on the inside to do that. 

Miller trade was absolutely the right thing to do. Detroit had a great hitters team with no pen, with Miller, they would have been unbeatable.

That team in 2014, made it to the ALCS, and almost WS, you made that trade every day and twice on Sunday.

The problem with letter Hader and Ed-Rod go, was all the arms that were supposed to be better on the food chain, Wright, etc. Which clearly wasn't. So the minor league evaluation system needs to tweaked and fixed, so that they are probably valuating the players.,

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Miller trade was absolutely the right thing to do. Detroit had a great hitters team with no pen, with Miller, they would have been unbeatable.

That team in 2014, made it to the ALCS, and almost WS, you made that trade every day and twice on Sunday.

The problem with letter Hader and Ed-Rod go, was all the arms that were supposed to be better on the food chain, Wright, etc. Which clearly wasn't. So the minor league evaluation system needs to tweaked and fixed, so that they are probably valuating the players.,

Since you brought up the '14 Tigers.  It never hurts to remember this. (I forget a lot of things as I get older. If I ever forget this, I'll know I;m in trouble.) 

I went to a University of Tennessee home football game around 2000. I think that's the only time I may have seen more orange in a crowd. 

2 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Since you brought up the '14 Tigers.  It never hurts to remember this. (I forget a lot of things as I get older. If I ever forget this, I'll know I;m in trouble.) 

I went to a University of Tennessee home football game around 2000. I think that's the only time I may have seen more orange in a crowd. 

I was in the upper deck behind home plate.  It was so loud and the stands were rocking!  I literally thought the stands might collapse.  

Just now, Dipper9 said:

I was in the upper deck behind home plate.  It was so loud and the stands were rocking!  I literally thought the stands might collapse.  

We all did. And we knew that we were going to the World Series at that moment. 

On 7/25/2018 at 6:31 AM, weams said:

Strop was going to be DFA. 

And, all of those fans weren't being paid to make decisions. The arrogance in the room is palpable. I couldn't care less what the hangout thought at the time.  That is completely and totally irrelevant. By the way, I was against the move. But, like your opinion at the time, that is irrelevant. What matters is the bottom line and DD hasn't won a trade since he was denied to go to Toronto.  Digging up successes from 15 years ago doesn't really change the point of this post

21 hours ago, brianod said:

And, all of those fans weren't being paid to make decisions. The arrogance in the room is palpable. I couldn't care less what the hangout thought at the time.  That is completely and totally irrelevant. By the way, I was against the move. But, like your opinion at the time, that is irrelevant. What matters is the bottom line and DD hasn't won a trade since he was denied to go to Toronto.  Digging up successes from 15 years ago doesn't really change the point of this post.

o

This was your OP:

On 7/24/2018 at 10:01 PM, brianod said:

The same guy that has lost every trade he's ever made is still in charge.  We should have let him go to Toronto, and I believe the reason we didn't is the same reason we haven't won anything since 83. The ego of our owner(s). They don't have the money to back up the arrogance. So, we denied a persons request to go elsewhere and now we put him in charge of rebuilding. Splendid.

o

Numerous posters (not just Weams) responded accordingly. Nobody twisted your words, or took anything that you said out of context. Nobody moved the goalposts on you, or on the claim that you made.

o

On 7/25/2018 at 6:23 AM, Bahama O's Fan said:

Anyone who was on this site at the time of the Arrieta trade should remember that people were calling for him to just be DFA because he was so bad. At this time it looked like a win to get anything for him and Strop's control had been all over the place.

And Strop was out of options.  We were trying to make the playoffs at the time and couldn't afford for him to lose anymore games.  People love Buck but he is a bad manager.  He messed up Arrieta.  Plain and simple. 

Archived