TT: A quick look at three pitchers acquired for Britton

Tony-OH

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Nite said:

DD is basically lopping off the crud on the bottom of our 40 man and replacing them with the top picks in next year's rule 5 draft. 

Can this narrative please stop. The Yankees weren't leaving Tate or Carrol unprotected. They were two top 15 prospects in their system.

Just because they are eligible doesn't mean teams leave top guys unprotected. Both are good arms. Those types don't ever hit rule v.

7 minutes ago, Nite said:

DD is basically lopping off the crud on the bottom of our 40 man and replacing them with the top picks in next year's rule 5 draft. 

Rogers may have been one the Yankees would have left exposed to the Rule 5 draft due to their numbers, but I don't believe that Tate and Carroll would have.  They'd have found a way to get them on the 40-man, IMO.

Just now, Surhoffan17 said:

Am I the only one who doesn't like this trade?  I guess I just expected more from someone who was supposedly so coveted.  No top 100?  

Just because he was coveted doesn't mean a top end guy was involved. 

Tate has #3 upside. That's a good prospect. He doesn't have much shine anymore because he's really close to being ready but he had mid rotation potential and if that doesn't work out he's likely a 8th or 9th inning guy worst case.

Carrol made the top 15 of NYY as a strict RP prospect. That is also impressive for a loaded system. Has closer potential.

Two rock solid pieces for a guy who has had some command issues and is coming off an achillies while being an FA in two months.

It's a good return.

2 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Rogers may have been one the Yankees would have left exposed to the Rule 5 draft due to their numbers, but I don't believe that Tate and Carroll would have.  They'd have found a way to get them on the 40-man, IMO.

yeah...Advanced pitchers with electric arms and high ceilings aren't something you give away.

4 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

Can this narrative please stop. The Yankees weren't leaving Tate or Carrol unprotected. They were two top 15 prospects in their system.

Just because they are eligible doesn't mean teams leave top guys unprotected. Both are good arms. Those types don't ever hit rule v.

Exactly.  Both of those prospects are above the prospects that the Yankees would have exposed to the rule V.

Rogers is the kind of guy that would be exposed to rule V.

1 minute ago, Surhoffan17 said:

Am I the only one who doesn't like this trade?  I guess I just expected more from someone who was supposedly so coveted.  No top 100?  

Top 100 isn’t everything. It’s basically former top draft picks, top international signings and guys putting up big numbers in high levels at premium positions. You’re never going to see milb relievers in it. 

If it makes you feel better Tate was a consensus top 40 overall player in 2016. 

I like the trade.  Tate is now our best pitching prospect in the high minors, in my opinion.  Carroll is as promising as any reliever in our system.  

If this is Dan Duquette's final season with the organization, he is leaving behind a solid legacy of building blocks for the future.   

11 minutes ago, ISU94 said:

My point was because our 40 man is so weak we can go after teams who have 40 man problems. I'm sorry I didn't word it correctly. It's also why I said top picks because they are guys you protect if you can or they will get taken right away. 

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Top 100 isn’t everything. It’s basically former top draft picks, top international signings and guys putting up big numbers in high levels at premium positions. You’re never going to see milb relievers in it. 

If it makes you feel better Tate was a consensus top 40 overall player in 2016. 

Yeah, I get it.  Just hoped for more.  Tate does look like he has sick stuff.  The other kid Carroll has insane strikeout numbers.  Hopefully, he can dominate soon.  

7 minutes ago, Nite said:

My point was because our 40 man is so weak we can go after teams who have 40 man problems. I'm sorry I didn't word it correctly. It's also why I said top picks because they are guys you protect if you can or they will get taken right away. 

Fair enough.

Some people have brought it up the other way so sorry for calling you out. Just annoying, people see players could be rule v elgible and automatically assume they'll be left unprotected. 

Archived