Bundy is Broken

weams

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Redskins Rick said:

Its more than that, Coaches and MASN guys see the trouble and that he is throwing different, and yet, he claims, he reviews the tapes and doesnt see anything he is doing different.

Perhaps he physically can’t? 

If you are favoring something it impacts you.  

He isn’t publicly going to say I have some health stuff going on. That looks like an excuse.   

7 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Even last year when he averaged 6.1 per start (ML average was 5.7) and was slightly above ML average (103 ERA+)?

Yup, he threw 169.2 innings last year. A career high. A TOR starter should be somewhere around there at 24, his age last season. And the expectation is that he should progress toward the 200 inning mark. But, look what he is now. His arm is dead. He is at 139.2 innings this year. His K/9 rate is up to 9.29 over 8.06 last year. The BB rate is relatively the same at 2.71 to 2.72. HR/9 is way up at 1.38 to 2.19. 

Perhaps the ankle is the reason. Maybe he came back too soon as has been suggested. Maybe he is flying open because of a mechanical flaw due to the ankle. I hope that is all true and he comes back to the TOR guy we all want him to be. I am looking to maximize his value, to move him in the next year or so. I just thought closer should be considered if it is more than a mechanical flaw. 

12 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I think this has to be all about health, not wearing down. I thought in 16 he wore down at the end. Which made sense. 

I have to believe his lower half issues are impacting his mechanics.  

I truly hope that is exactly the cause. Mechanical flaws can happen with pain or weakness in the lower half certainly. They can also cause much greater injury. It is foolish for him to be pitching any further if he is not healthy. 

I still look at Bundy's strike out numbers and shake my head in confusion. He's not punching out 10 per nine like he did early in the season, but he's still striking out 7.5 hitters per nine even in August. Although his "stuff" has declined as the season has progressed, it seems like inability to locate explains most of his lack of success. Or maybe his stuff is variable: Still enough nasty pitches to strike hitters out, but a higher proportion of pitches are lame ducks/not nasty?

17 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Why do you insist it is his arm?  How do you explain his good stretches?  His arm issues come and go? 

We know he has had other issues this year. 

How does a calcified shoulder heal? I quess reabsorption. To me it sounds like it is trying to turn to bone. 

7 hours ago, Jammer7 said:

I suspect you may be right.

Has Bundy always had the arm stab at the back of his delivery? I had not noticed that until this year, but maybe I just didn't care since he was pitching well. Now, everything is scrutinized more so.

Also, is Bundy the closer Buck was talking of? Maybe he cannot handle the starter load and his stuff can be nasty in shorter stints. Just a thought, what say you?

I don't know if he has always had it but he has had it at least since his ML debut in 2012.

Just now, weams said:

I absolutely think the ankle is significant. I believe the shoulder is why he will never be "Bundy"

We all know he will never be what he could have been. I think most have accepted that. 

He has shown an ability to be very, very good in stretches. Clearly even with his diminished fastball he can still be effective. 

Who knows if the shoulder will last, that is another story. 

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

We all know he will never be what he could have been. I think most have accepted that. 

He has shown an ability to be very, very good in stretches. Clearly even with his diminished fastball he can still be effective. 

Who knows if the shoulder will last, that is another story. 

I think we agree. 

Archived