Bundy is Broken

weams

10 hours ago, Cy Bundy said:

Just a joke with my good friend Moose who seemed to think Bundy was done and commented that nobody should care what we do with him for the rest of the year. Or, I should say, moose commented “who cares” when shortsighted OHers were commenting on what to do with him for the remainder of the season. I suggested that it was a great opportunity to have him work on things (like a new change) and it appears he (Dylan) reads the board, or maybe he just works on things anyway, hard to say. 

Well, I said that in a point of frustration :) It made sense at the time! 

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In this article, Melewski points out that Bundy was much better in 2018 when pitching on four days’ rest (3.86 ERA, 1.157 WHIP in 11 starts) than he was when pitching on extra rest (7.59 ERA, 1.783 ERA in 15 starts on 5 days’ rest).   He asks whether Bundy can be fixed just by not giving him too much rest.    http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2019/01/a-look-at-one-way-where-dylan-bundy-can-get-back-on-track.html

Personally, I don’t buy that at all.   I see it as a statistical anomaly limited to 2018.     But frankly, the statistic surprised me.    Also, Melewski didn’t mention that Bundy had a 3.99 ERA and 1.091 WHIP in five starts on 6+ days’ rest.  

29 minutes ago, Frobby said:

In this article, Melewski points out that Bundy was much better in 2018 when pitching on four days’ rest (3.86 ERA, 1.157 WHIP in 11 starts) than he was when pitching on extra rest (7.59 ERA, 1.783 ERA in 15 starts on 5 days’ rest).   He asks whether Bundy can be fixed just by not giving him too much rest.    http://www.masnsports.com/steve-melewski/2019/01/a-look-at-one-way-where-dylan-bundy-can-get-back-on-track.html

Personally, I don’t buy that at all.   I see it as a statistical anomaly limited to 2018.     But frankly, the statistic surprised me.    Also, Melewski didn’t mention that Bundy had a 3.99 ERA and 1.091 WHIP in five starts on 6+ days’ rest.  

That is the smallest sample size fix I've heard of. Anyway, I'm no longer about guys that require special catchers, weather, daylight, rest, family free of strife... Just pitch as well and as long as you can. And when you are done, we will put in another guy. 

42 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah - wasn't it like, exactly the opposite the year before?

I could be misremembering.

What a strange case Bundy is.  Even when he's not pitching well he still tends to get lots of swinging strikes and K's.  But those homers, goodness (or mercy, as Gary would say).  I think I at this point you hope that he can turn into a 3/4  moving forward and hope that he can gain some consistency.  

3 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

What a strange case Bundy is.  Even when he's not pitching well he still tends to get lots of swinging strikes and K's.  But those homers, goodness (or mercy, as Gary would say).  I think I at this point you hope that he can turn into a 3/4  moving forward and hope that he can gain some consistency.  

Nah. I hope he can get added to the same, or higher, intellectual plane as his competitors. With that, his upside is still better than what we've seen to date, IMO.

16 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

I still have hopes for him to be a 2. Only faint hopes, but hopes.   He’s had some pretty long stretches where he’s been fairly dominant: 2.89 ERA in 11 starts, 1.42 ERA in 5 starts, 2.60 ERA in 8 starts.   I’m sure lots of pitchers have those streaks, but I still feel like Bundy might put it all together sometime.   

Archived