Bundy is Broken

weams

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/11/2018 at 6:44 AM, Frobby said:

I watched Bundy walk the first batter of the game on four pitches, none of which was close to a strike, and concluded this wasn’t going to be a game I wanted to watch and turned it off.  

I just got home.  It appears you were right.

I still don’t know what to think. Five more strikeouts tonight. His strikeout rate is very impressive. The gopher ball is killing him. If he was really hurt it doesn’t seem like he could pitch well enough to strikeout a hitter an inning. 

1 minute ago, webbrick2010 said:

Why is Bundy still pitching. He’s either injured or just done as a ML pitcher 

He’s not done. Again, you don’t strike out that many hitters if you are done. But obviously something is wrong. 

20 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Bundy might not be able to take the wear and tear of being a starting pitcher over a 162 game season.

Could be a candidate for the bullpen.  

That’s every starter we have. We can’t just send every pitcher to the bullpen.

On 8/11/2018 at 7:39 AM, JR Oriole said:

I would like to think so, but I also think that work environment does impact work performance to some extent.  It is human nature and although it might be more obvious in office type environments, I think even in sports it can happen. 

And if he is injured, then he should not be pitching anymore.....period.   I assume if he is out there he is healthy and can pitch....a very reasonable assumption for a terrible team that has nothing to gain in a lost season by throwing an injured man out on the mound.

In 2016, the lowest Bundy averaged over a month on his fastball was 94.32 MPH and his highest monthly average was 96.09 MPH. 

This year, his lowest average MPH was 91.46 MPH (last month) and his highest was 92.59 MPH (April). Bundy's fastball does not have a lot of movement and at 96 MPH there a lot better chance of success then at 90-92. He's also an extreme flyball pitcher in a ballpark that is not kind to flyball pitchers. Obviously the Orioles have realized that and he's actually trying to add in a "sinker" though it hasn't worked much since batters our hitting those classified sinkers as well or better than his fastball.

His slider is his only plus pitch right now. 

If I'm grading his pitches, I'm grading:

Fastball: 45 Plays (40-50)
Slider: 60 Plays (50-70 in other words can flash plus plus)
Change: 45
Curveball: 40 (Can flash 50 sometimes)

It doesn't sound like Buck is going to rest Bundy anytime soon

The mystery that again has become Dylan Bundy will keep bringing questions to Showalter.

“He’s not very crisp with his command,” Showalter said. “He’ll make a couple good pitches and just can’t finish the at-bat sometimes. A couple of flares hurt him.

“We know what Dylan is capable of, he just hasn’t been able to get there. It’s been off and on since the leg injury. He’s just not able to carry into the game that consistency that we know Dylan has shown us.”

Bundy sprained his ankle while running the bases in a June 23 game in Atlanta, but Showalter hasn’t been given any indication that there are lingering effects from it.

“If you see his work days and the things that he does between starts physically, it would be hard to paint that picture,” Showalter said. “Certainly you look at those things and you’re very aware it, especially when you have that history with him and know when he’s good. An extended period where he hasn’t pitched like we know Dylan can.

“It’s frustrating for him. You can see it. He gets into a sequence when he’s got the right pitch to throw and he can’t get it where he needs to and now the count gets to where he has to give in, somewhat. And he hasn’t carried that three-pitch mix in a while.”

Is the solution to skip a start and freshen him up? And does it counteract the goal of increasing his innings?

“If you talk about building innings that means he’s gotten a lot of rest,” Showalter said. “Every day we update where every pitcher is with guys we have here, guys we might need coming here and where they are in their inning count, their innings pitches, times up, reps, everything. Regardless of what our win-loss record is, (it’s important), the health of your people and your pitchers.

“Dylan, I don’t want to say he’s trying to play catch up, but he’s in a good spot as far as innings and starts where you’d like to have him at the end of the season to be ready to go forward. You maybe have to look at it a little differently because sometimes ... He’s missed some time this year, so I don’t know. We’ll look at it again. We constantly do. And most importantly get feedback from him.

“He’s very honest about it. It’s almost like at times he would rather have some issue physically. But when you don’t, which at this point we don’t think, you have to look at a lot of different reasons.”

Roch - http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/08/orioles-option-phillips-wrapping-up-16-5-loss.html

1 hour ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Bundy might not be able to take the wear and tear of being a starting pitcher over a 162 game season.

Could be a candidate for the bullpen.  

At this point, that ship has sailed. At least in Baltimore. Move the guy and continue the rebuild.

Archived